Is a BBag for life . . . ?

Nov 15, 2012
I'm wondering what the life-span of a bag is ! My pre-owned is 8 years old, in great condition and obviously I don't know how often it was used prior to being owned by me. I plan to get LOTS of use from it and I wonder at what point do the bags become too tatty to use, does anyone have any comment about the average life of a Bal Bag ?!

It would probably last a lifetime if you cared for it..until it starts to tear, and even then it can be repaired. It depends how you like your bags. Nicole richie has a really old tatty bag that she's used so much from 2005 i think? and i think it looks great. Of course these bags will get shabby after a lot of use, it's just the nature of the vintage leather/style

I hope so! My kids have already decided which bags they want, whenever I'm ready to pass them down! ;) I do think it depends a lot on how you take care of your bags, the same as you would a nice leather jacket or a pair of your favorite leather boots.

I personally think that if you are looking for a bag that can last you forever that brand would be " CHANEL" in classic flap.
Honestly, although how much I m fond of Bbags, but if we are talking about the handbags that can last you forever it must be Chanel.
Hermes too, but that is just too extreme lol.
I think Bbags won't last a life time. Just my two cents.

My mother is starting to nag me about not spend on other brands and focus on Chanel only since it can stay with you long time , and super "great"resale value . My mom sold her mini flap
that she already used 8 times with the same price when she bought it. !!!!

But still if you love for the Bal style then go for it.
I think their bags are gorgeous too. I love them to death .!

Last edited:
I'm simply not a Chanel girl ! Maybe as an evening bag, but for an every day bag nope . . .I like a much more casual style. I look after my things well, and especially my beloved Balenciaga, but I don't baby it either, it was bought to love and to use so it gets thrown around, in a slightly gentler way ;)
I use conditioning products and any sign of wear and tear will be addressed, I hope it has lots more years in it yet :smile:

My oldest Bbag is from 2004. It's still in great shape (aside from the tassels) but I think that's because it wasn't used much, and it's still not used much.

My Olive work (that I just got), is from 2005 and it's in fabulous shape.
The leather looks nearly perfect.
The bag was obviously worn (the handles have darkened), but the previous owner took wonderful care of it. If I can take the same care, it will last forever.

My 2005 city on the other hand.. well, it's my beater bag.. When I purchased it (pre-loved) about two years ago, it was in very good shape. But I've used it very heavily. It's been my go to bag in rain, snow, sun. etc. and it's taken it's toll.
But the bag has definitely developed character, and I think, shows exactly what Bals moto bags are about.

With all that said, I doubt it'll last another 2-3 years if I continue to use it the way I did so it's going into retirement.

I think the trick with Bals is to rotate, and just use common sense. If you can do that, they will last.

I think it has mainly to do with how careful you are. Storing it away from light, making sure pets don't wreck it, not overstuffing it, scraping it against rough surfaces, etc. I've never had a Bal just fall apart, unlike some other high end designs. I've had tarnished rusted out hardware on higher end Fendi's and Chanel chains break; their leather seaming/stitching unravel. (The Chanel boutique took that bag back as defective.) So if you're marginally careful, I think it could last quite a long time.

The only tear I ever heard of is a friend of mine who put a paring knife in her Bal to slice an apple with for a snack later on. I don't know what she was thinking. Crazy girl. It punctured through the bag and her keys fell out the hole. She was outraged that the leather did this and I was outraged she'd put a knife in her bag like that. Duh - of course it was going to wreck the bag.

I think it has mainly to do with how careful you are. Storing it away from light, making sure pets don't wreck it, not overstuffing it, scraping it against rough surfaces, etc. I've never had a Bal just fall apart, unlike some other high end designs. I've had tarnished rusted out hardware on higher end Fendi's and Chanel chains break; their leather seaming/stitching unravel. (The Chanel boutique took that bag back as defective.) So if you're marginally careful, I think it could last quite a long time.

The only tear I ever heard of is a friend of mine who put a paring knife in her Bal to slice an apple with for a snack later on. I don't know what she was thinking. Crazy girl. It punctured through the bag and her keys fell out the hole. She was outraged that the leather did this and I was outraged she'd put a knife in her bag like that. Duh - of course it was going to wreck the bag.

I am literally cringing . . .whhhhyyyyyyy ?!?!!?! lol

I am literally cringing . . .whhhhyyyyyyy ?!?!!?! lol

Not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed. :biggrin:
She even went back to Barney's where she'd purchased it to try to have them replace her "defective bag". She claimed a high end bag shouldn't have torn despite the knife inside. Hahahahahahahahaha!

weellllllllllll.. i'm guilty of something similar.

When I was going into the office full time, I had my own silverware that I kept in the kitchen.

Things like a sharp knife, bottle opener, tongs (we had a toaster oven).
Anyway, i'd take them home a few times a week to give them a good cleaning. I would always make sure to wrap the items up in lots of paper towels (i know this sounds crazy but those of you who work in an office should be able to relate) and then throw them in my bag. I can totally see how a rip may of happened, but at the time, I wasn't really thinking about it..

And I swear I'm not a dim bulb..lol

weellllllllllll.. i'm guilty of something similar.

When I was going into the office full time, I had my own silverware that I kept in the kitchen.

Things like a sharp knife, bottle opener, tongs (we had a toaster oven).
Anyway, i'd take them home a few times a week to give them a good cleaning. I would always make sure to wrap the items up in lots of paper towels (i know this sounds crazy but those of you who work in an office should be able to relate) and then throw them in my bag. I can totally see how a rip may of happened, but at the time, I wasn't really thinking about it..

And I swear I'm not a dim bulb..lol

I'm sure of that too, BPC! :biggrin:

Well, at least you didn't go to Bal/Barney's/NM or wherever to complain and have your bag replaced :lol:

My oldest Bbag is from 2004. It's still in great shape (aside from the tassels) but I think that's because it wasn't used much, and it's still not used much.

My Olive work (that I just got), is from 2005 and it's in fabulous shape.
The leather looks nearly perfect.
The bag was obviously worn (the handles have darkened), but the previous owner took wonderful care of it. If I can take the same care, it will last forever.

But I've used it very heavily. It's been my go to bag in rain, snow, sun. etc. and it's taken it's toll.
But the bag has definitely developed character, and I think, shows exactly what Bals moto bags are about.

I think the trick with Bals is to rotate, and just use common sense. If you can do that, they will last.

This is close to me. I have two categories of bbags. 90% of my collection are vintage bags I BABY and take care of - but of course still use, and the other 10% are my beater bals. All were purchased from previous owners and were well loved (and very inexpensive) - but not abused. These are the ones I use in rain and snow and bright hot summer sun - I swing around with abandon - place on the floor etc. Surprisingly I think they look great. Yes as mentioned above they have a broken in look - like an old moto jacket, but I think that's their style. I'd rather have a "beater bal" then a tote bag or other low key bag for those days because it's my style and I'm true to it. Chanel is WAY too fussy, old lady and dressy for me. Also the lambskin in some of those classic bags can tear and show wear just as bad as a bal bag. I don't buy bags for what other people think will hold value or be most "classic", I buy what's my style, and bbags are it. I have a pretty large collection of 2001-2003 bags that look as good as new (yes that's almost 14 years for some), so I'm I worried about holding up - nah! :cool:
I'm very very lucky to have a pretty large collection so I rotate depending on season or mood and that also helps extend life. I plan on carrying these bags forever - until they give out or I do!:roflmfao:

I personally think that if you are looking for a bag that can last you forever that brand would be " CHANEL" in classic flap.
Honestly, although how much I m fond of Bbags, but if we are talking about the handbags that can last you forever it must be Chanel.
Hermes too, but that is just too extreme lol.
I think Bbags won't last a life time. Just my two cents.

My mother is starting to nag me about not spend on other brands and focus on Chanel only since it can stay with you long time , and super "great"resale value . My mom sold her mini flap
that she already used 8 times with the same price when she bought it. !!!!

But still if you love for the Bal style then go for it.
I think their bags are gorgeous too. I love them to death .!

The problem is though, if you don't treat Chanel very well it will look loved just like a BBag would. Personally, I don't think that beat-up Chanel bags look as good as beat-up & loved B Bags. ;) I do like Chanel, so this isn't a bash on them, just saying, their bags have a certain style that looks best very polished. I have some vintage bags from the 40's-70's, they are still ticking...
I have jeans and T shirts that have lasted me over 20 years, a leather bag, treated well and rotated, can last for many years.
My dh has leather jackets from the 80's, that he did not even take good care of, and they are still wearable as collectible vintage items.

ETA Hermes, I have to politely disagree with you on, I think they can look great as very loved vintage bags.

Last edited: