is a bag worth more after it is discontinued?

ireallylovelv

Feb 11, 2010
Hello seasoned LV lovers:

Does anyone know whether an LV bag is worth more after it is discontinued in the store? For example, I have a cabas piano. If I hold onto it until it isn't sold anymore in the stores, would I be able to get more for it?

Thanks!

It's really hard to say, IMO. The only bags that I have seen dramatically increase in price after you can't find them are the Limited Edition bags, and not even those hold their value all the time. It seems like they sell for the most money right away, as soon as they are sold out, but after a while they usually sell for the original retail or so, depending on their condition. I don't have a good feel for the Cabas Piano, and I don't know what condition your bag is in, but you can always get a food feel for bag prices by checking out ebay....Good luck!

I don't think Id ever get an lV to make money off of - sure, you can get lucky if someone desperately wants one and yours is the only one availiable, but to speculate in that ... it would be a game of chance, and not something I'd take a chance on.
Tre fact that many LVs have a decent resale value is a bonus, but I don't thinl buying one to make money later is a very good idea, as it would most likely not turn out that way.

Reactions: Fifitrix
Never, unless it was a limited edition. Even then, it may lose value. As for standard bags which get cut from the line, treat its depreciation just like any other.

Depends on the bag, for example, the Eclipse line is sellling for more than retail and IMO will continue to do so, really depends on the bags popularity, supply and demand dictate price. Most regular Mono bags will not sell for more than retail, especially if used. I do agree with the other poster opinion that Chanel is the line that holds it's value best and demands higher prices.

If you buy one new at full retail you almost certainly won't get what you paid for it. But if you buy one used, in good condition, keep it in good condition, (and maybe even clean it up so it is in better condition) you have a pretty good shot at getting your money back down the road. At least that has been my experience.

Reactions: onlyk
Not when you factor in inflation. Many of my bags (LEs and rare pieces) sell for more than what they retailed when in good condition, but when I factor in inflation, it's not worth it. For pieces that are common, I can still get more than I paid if still a available, but this is ten years on and it's less than retail.