Is a bag an appropriate b-day gift

I think it's too young. Then again, if I got one whe nI was 14 I'm sure I wouldve had barely any idea what it was.

you could look into LV, mbmj, hayden hartnett, botkier, coach etc. But if her mommy doesn't care.. then maybe it's ok

I agree with most of the posters here. There are plenty of nice bags that are much more appropriate for a young girl. If it has to be a balenciaga, maybe a clutch?

I think you should also take the girl's safety into consideration. Depending on where you live, someone that young with such an obvious display of wealth might look like an easy target.

Actually I think it's ok to get her a high-end desgner bag as long as she knows how to appreciate and care for it. But of course, a Bal bag is indeed a tad too much. What about LV or Prada? It's cheaper and easier to maintain. I got a black nylon Prada messenger when I was 14 and used it as a school bag until I graduated from high school :smile:

Probably it's an Asian culture thing but by 14 most of my friends knew what were the high end brands and their parents bought them Prada/LV/Gucci bags to reward them when they performed well in school.

I agree -way too young for a lot of reasons. My daughter is 16 and she has one tiny Coach bought at an Outlet - that's her most expensive bag. I got her a LAMB keypouch too which she uses for her cash and ID as it fits in her backpack. We live in a very good neighborhood, but she says things get stolen at her school all the time so she won't take a nice bag to school, plus I sort of think if you start them out at a young age on super luxury, what are they going to expect at 18?? I think you should work for luxury items for the most part - it builds character;) A Coach/Dooney/Lamb bag would be good or a luxury accessory would be cool.

Hmmmm... on face value I would say 'no', but obviously you would know best and in the end it's your choice, but I would keep in mind:

1) 14 may be too young to truly appreciate and care for something of such value
2) You are setting the bar quite high for future presents for your neice and other neices/nephews (you dont want to favour one more than the others)
3) You may outshine her other gifts.

If you really want to get her something Bal Perhaps get her something smaller (coin purse, clutch, shoulder) and then you can work your way up to something bigger for her 18th.

The worst thing would be that you get her a 1k+ bag and she doesnt even like it, use it, or look after it.

I totally agree with what is said above. I started wearing my mums old Fendi's, LV when I was about 16, but these were hand me downs, around that age my aunt gave me my first LV too. I have had this one until about 2 years ago (I am nearly 40 now)
Give it another year or two.

I agree, 14 is a little young! I bought my own LV when I was 16 with my first payslip! Start off with an accessory and build up, at least then you'll know how she's treating it etc.

14 really isnt too young IMO i got my first balenciaga bag at 16 (although I did buy it myself) however I think if you did buy her a bag then it could outshine the gifts from her parents which IMO is wrong. I like the suggestion of getting her a coin purse or clutch, you could always get her a juicy couture charm to add to it. You could even get her two coin purses for half the price of the bag.

Eeep! That is really young! I agree with others that suggested a less pricey brand. Also, I wouldn't be as concerned about she cares for it, but what about other kids??? It could get stolen if some naughty kids find out it's worth!

I agree with the others. 1K is a little too much for a 14 years old. She just need to understand the value of money even if the family is well off. I think the concept is important. You can get a Coach or something that is not as expensive. Or maybe a BBag wallet or coin purse that is less than a purse to start with.

I'd have to agree with the majority & say that a bBag is a lil' much for a 14yr old. A coin purse, or another brand would probably be better. Tell her to start saving up, and maybe as a 18th b-day present! :idea:

I agree with everyone :tup: start small and work your way up... coin purse or makeup pouch if it must be bal. She may enjoy a Coach scribble or something along those lines more though. I would definitely check with her mother before making a purchase that large. ;)

I'm with everyone else too! And I ditto everyone else's suggestions of Coach, or maybe a cheaper LV/Prada. Honestly, she'll probably get more out of those anyway ... most other 14 year olds don't know Bal (I think, anyway!), while the other ones are more recognizeable.