Is $3500 crazy to spend on Chihuahua?

How much would you spend on a Chi puppy?

• Skys the limit, no price on puppy love

• Not over $500

• Not over $1500

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you purchase a $3,500 dog, I hope you will donate that amount in your new puppy's name to a shelter or rescue group. If you end up spending, say, $500, I hope you'll donate the remaining $3,000.

It's really terrible when animals are used as lifestyle props. I don't know that this is what you want to do, but from your language, I suspect it is. Putting it "on hold," having it meet certain physical requirements, "getting what you pay for," this is all the language that applies to material things. It's hard to know if you're talking about a bag or a dog.

This animal is going to love you no matter what you pay for it. Hopefully you will love it back, no matter how big or small the puppy turns out to be.

You can put a dog on hold from a reputable breeder since they breed minimal litters and if they have a great reputation, there can be a waitlist (which requires a deposit) for one of their puppies so it's not always bad. A prime example is an alaskan klee kai which is extremely rare and the breeders are very very protective on who purchases them so sometimes you have to put a puppy on hold in advance and wait years or one. The chi ordering service in this case, is like putting a product on hold and encouraging this cruel industry. These dogs are not bred to be healthy or to have a happy life, but exploiting them to be tiny and unique. Personally, I wouldn't pay that much even for the best in show unless you're planning on hitting the show circuit with him and want the pride and notariety. Absolutely nothing wrong with that at all...these are the people who raise and love their sound, healthy dogs and are willing to invest the time and money into to keeping up the breed standard, but it sounds like you want one as a pet. If that's the case, then paying that much is ridiculous, imo.

At first I thought the title meant is $3500 too much to spend on the health care of a dog, not the initial price of the dog.

Personally, after adopting rescue dogs for $200-250 each, I don't know if I'll ever buy from a breeder again. For vet care, we've spent thousands. They're like our children.

Please think long and hard, when there are so many deserving dogs who are looking for their forever homes.

Please stay away from that California "breeder". They are not breeding for the betterment or improvement of the breed, but for profit only. Breeding for flashy colors, small size, and blue eyes is not a responsible practice. The poor Australian shepherds on the site look like hideous freaks.

Strangely, their horses look pretty good, but you are not in the market for a horse!

OK - I'm going to stick my neck out and don a flameproof suit, because this may upset some folks, when it is meant to educate. No matter which breed, there is only ONE right way to buy a purebred puppy. It is not from a mass marketing website, or a newspaper, or a pet store or any place where all you need to do is plunk down money and get a dog. It takes effort, focused toward the right places. In order to get a pup that is healthy and well socialized, you must find a reputable breeder.

A reputable breeder at the minimum:
Breeds only to better the breed
Does not do so for money, and typically makes no money from breeding
A member of local breed club and adheres to the code of ethics
Usually shows dogs - to get of assessment of conformation
Breeds only healthy, well tempered dogs who conform to the breed standard
Breeds dogs that are not directly related and are free from defects
Knows and tests parents for genetic defects
Knows and tests puppies for defects
Provides buyers with all test results and discloses any problems or issues
Socializes puppies prior to placement
Has a spay/neuter contract
Interviews prospective buyers thoroughly
Matches puppy's personality with buyer's requirements
Will be there for you to answer questions about health, behavior, training

You should insist on this behavior from the breeder of your puppy. Your puppy is a 15 year commitment on your part. You owe it to yourself and the puppy that the way it came into this world was not an "oops" but a well thought out plan. In addition, there may be an adult that the breeder wants to place.

How can you find a reputable breeder?
Contact the AKC and find the local or state breed club
Get in touch with the local club chapter
Contact breeder-members and ask lots of questions
Go to a Specialty show and make connections
Go to an all breed show and visit the "meet the breed" booths
Remember, there may not be a pup available at this moment and you may have to wait for the right one.

Chihuahuas specifically....

http://www.chihuahuaclubofamerica.com/

For Chihuahuas in California:
http://www.chiclubnorcal.com/
http://www.southerncaliforniachihuahuaclub.com/

The Chihuahua can have several congenital diseases:
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-health/chihuahua-health-problems.aspx

Best wishes to anyone looking for a purebred dog. I am glad someone took me under their wing when looking for our first purebred dog. And, not all rescues have emotional baggage, we have a great rescue living with us.

However, it's your money and I've spend different amounts (from free up to 2000) for dogs in rescue, shelters, recommended breeders. There are always "commendable" options to adopt a dog but there's nothing wrong with paying for one either if you choose to take that route and it's the right one. That, to me, is also responsible since it's not as easy to purchase one from a reputable breeder either since they truly care about them. It's not a mail order service or petshop that hands them out if you have the credit card. Just make the best choice for you, your situation and for the life of the dog(s). What we do, even if it's just that one dog, can effect the future of other puppies. We're still trying to clean up the damage paris did when she used her dog as an accessory on national TV. I've spent 4Xs in vet bills than I have for a dog bred to be sound due to irresponsible breeding and demand for them..and went through much more heartache over the lives of a few of these that should never have been.

^^ yeppers, i think that's way too much $$$ to spend on a chi...i don't really trust these "designer pet" breeders...i'd much rather spend the $$$ on an adoption fee for a rescue instead :tup:

Well if the dog could have health issues for being so small maybe its best not to support that kind of breeding. My friend's mom had a minature doberman and the poor thing was so sickly. I would just worry about the size, I have no idea about the price of the dogs since I'm a cat person!

DOgs are living, breathing feeling creatures, not accessories.

The fact they've been bred down so small makes them a bundle of health issues you'll be paying for the entire life of the dog. IF it makes it to adult-hood.

Adopt a dog, save a life.

Uh, I just looked at the website... those dogs look terrible! I can see limb deformities and eye problems in the making. Mini Aussies??? NO SUCH ANIMAL!

I'm also concerned that they breed so many different kinds of dogs. Seriously, I think the only difference between them and a puppy mill is the surrooundings are better here.

AKC doesn't matter. They're probably real but anyone can put two purebred dogs that are akc registered together to have puppies. Doesn't make them any better than a puppymill or bybs who don't have akc papers. They may have had one dog in the bloodlines that was a champion years ago but that doesn't mean generations down and continuing to breed litter after litter even remotely holds that standard. That's why real breeders require pet quality (which can be as close to show as possible) dogs to be neutered. They're not bred to be sound, period. If anything, they're bred to be unsound by molding them to characteristics that are abnormal for them. One's like 17 oz at 8 weeks...that poor thing is going to have big problems when age and the size deficiency catches up with her. What's also gross, is they're selling an intact dog for stud at 7500 that will only carry on these bad traits to just anybody as if it's to invest in some startup cost for more abnormal puppies. How caring is that.

That website is just disgusting! The other suggestion is to call your vet for advice. Many times, they will refer you a a reputable breeder. The thought of a $3500 designer dog is appalling to me.

Also, I would never buy a dog from someone who is adverstising designer or multiple breeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.