Is 14 too young for the b-bags?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my own experience: I grew up in a household where expensive things weren't handed to me. That doesn't mean that the parents didn't try to give me nice things, but I thought that they were age appropriate. I learned the value of money (which people cannot understand at a young age) and now I am able to buy nice items with my own money. I credit my success as an adult to the financial lessons imparted on me as a kid. I'm glad I wasn't given expensive things because now I appreciate being able to purchase things myself due to hard work.
I TOTALLY agree with this. I would go so far as to lend her the money and set up a strict payment plan to teach her about the actual labour cost of buying things, IF you found the perfect bag and thought you might not happen on a good deal like that again.
I understand that you're trying to share your b-bag love, which is fine...but she'll be bored of it sooner than you think since she didn't have to spend months and months working for it, deciding if she really wants it.
I say absolutely no unless she pays for it herself.

Personnally I think she's too young, but of course I appreciate the opinions of others. It just seems strange to me when I see young girls in expensive designer clothes and carrying expensive bags. It's not that I resent the fact that they are privileged, but rather that materialism at such a young age is a bit frightening to me. I still think of 14 year olds as kids, they are mature but they are essentially still young and playful and should be focused on things other than material items and status symbols. I hope what I wrote doesn't sound too harsh, I hope you understand the point of view I'm trying to express!

But of course, as her mother you know her best, so it's difficult for others to pass a judgement on ppl we have never met, KWIM?

Good luck with the decision!

Here is my own experience: I grew up in a household where expensive things weren't handed to me. That doesn't mean that the parents didn't try to give me nice things, but I thought that they were age appropriate. I learned the value of money (which people cannot understand at a young age) and now I am able to buy nice items with my own money. I credit my success as an adult to the financial lessons imparted on me as a kid. I'm glad I wasn't given expensive things because now I appreciate being able to purchase things myself due to hard work.

ITA w/ you chuggie so I say yes she's too young IMO. by the way what does KWIM mean?

No, I don't think she is too young. I got my first designer bag (chanel 2.55 in lambskin) when I was 14. I'm now 28 and my bag is still in mint condition. I still managed to get my Bachelor and Masters degree, have zero debt, and a decent professional career.

I think she might be too young for a $1K bag in my opinion. Why not start her out with Coach, Juicy, or Dooney. Is this her very first designer bag?

Think about how we all started out buying lower end designer bags and now that we're so use to the $1K+ price of LVs, Chanel, Bbags, some of us are starting to look towards Hermes birkin bag. I know I'm now very comfortable seeing high priced tag handbags even though I should NOT be since I still have student loans to pay off. :Push: I'm now looking forward to a birkin but I rather wait until I hit my 30s or 40s so I can have something huge to look forward to. What I'm saying is that if you get her a bbag now, she might get use to the price and want a LV or Chanel next. :shrugs:

Well, if she's going to buy the bag by her own money that she has been collected or worked. Then, I think it's fine. Bcoz' I'm sure that she'll take a good care of it.
But if you are going to buy for her then, I think she's too young:yes:

Well, if she's going to buy the bag by her own money that she has been collected or worked. Then, I think it's fine. Bcoz' I'm sure that she'll take a good care of it.
But if you are going to buy for her then, I think she's too young:yes:

I agree completely!! My parents were always very generous and kind to me when it came to money issues (school, travelling etc.) but I bought my first designer bag with my own money when I was 16 after I successfully finished my the first week of my first real part time job! It was such an exciting experience- I loved that bag for years! Maybe that's why I get way more excited about handbags than travelling these days... I don't know ;)

i say no, and yes.

im currently 20, and bought my first designer bag (an LV messenger) when i was 16 with my OWN hard earned summer money. As much i love my LV, and all my balenciaga, like many have said, when i see a balenciaga on ebay for $600-$700 i say "ohh cheap!", and well, with the amount of money i actually have in my broke-college-student bank account, i shouldnt :shame:. Instead of learning the value of money by saving up, it distorted it a little further IMO.

granted your daughter might be more mature at 14 than i ever was at 16, but i think from personal experience it's just better to let people earn things when they can actually afford them.

granted, and this might be a little controversial way of thinking, but i think one amazing way to learn the value of money, even if it isnt so amazing for me right now, is to actually experience things like credit card debt at an early age. sure it's not fun being in this debt (and actually NONE of it is currently balenciaga related :smile:), but id rather be in it now when i have parents that pay for the roof over my head, tuition, food, etc, rather than making the mistake later on when i have to take care of all that as well.

In a sense, i can actually AFFORD to be in credit card debt at this point in my life, and im learning to manage it, which i hope will help me out when i need to start paying off student loans, etc

see the bottom of my sig vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I think it's important to gauge her interest. Is this a passing fancy for her or something she is really invested in? Make sure it's not just an "everyone else has one" thing as well. Having her in some way share the financial burden, I think, will help you figure that out. It would really be a big mess if you went through a lot of trouble to get her a bag she won't really care about in a few months.

You know your daughter best and what kind of parent you want to be, so I think you can make those kind of decisions on your own. If she's a fledgeling fashionista, that's great, and she sounds like she's growing into a responsible adult.

Anyway, good luck. I don't know what this would be like, I'm 22 and just got my first Balenciaga about a month ago. My family's financial situation doesn't allow us these opportunities, but it's great that yours does. I hope your daughter can really enjoy it and understand not to take these things for granted.

I would personally say 'no'. It's too young. I'm the only child so i was spoilt rotten and had everything I could possibly want handed to me. No questions asked. And now I shop without flicking an eyelid and it's just SUCH an expensive habit. Let your daughter wait and save up for the money she needs to get her own b-bag, it'd make sure she doesn't get bored of the bag so easily (which, TRUST ME, if you just gave it to her, she will) and she'd thank you for teaching her the good value in the future! :love: (and just IMO i think 14 is still a little too young to be getting a top-end designer handbag. Handbags are really a status symbol, esp. a pale pink one which is so impractical even a lot of ladies here are afraid of using! If she's been amazing - which I'm sure she has :yes: - and you want to spoil her a little, get her a designer coat instead, for the same money it'd be far less flashy and the cut would be so great she can pass it down to her daughter, granddaughter...etc) :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.