Irresponsible dog owners who don't pick up after them

balihai88

O.G.
Jul 31, 2006
I have a dog and I live in a condo. In the front of the building there's some landscaping that is popular for dogs (including mine) to relieve themselves on. My problem is with dog owners who don't pick up after their dogs! If I ever saw someone not picking up after their dog I would (nicely) offer them a bag and remind them to help keep our communal property looking nice. But I've never seen anyone so I can't say anything, and I'm tired of picking up after someone else's dog. I'm not sure if they're other residents of my building or people passing by. What can I do?

I find it so rude and irresponsible to not pick up after your pet in common areas. Can you talk to the HOA and ask them to erect a sign? Our dogpark has a sign that says if you don't pick up after your dog, there's a 500 fine, same as the city. There will still be those who don't do it, but I'm sure it'll deter many of them.

Ugh! That drives me crazy too!!

I actually watched a woman walk her Rottweiler in front of my house, watched the dog eliminate, and then gaped as the woman walked away without picking up the waste :wtf:

I ran outside, and confronted her. She actually had the audacity to tell me that it wasn't from her dog!!!! I was dumb-found - I told her that I watched the entire thing and she just kept walking away!!!!

Good luck with your situation bali. It seems more and more people are not accepting responsibility for their pets.

Good luck. It's always the same one or two people...and they usually do it early in the morning or late at night. I used to live in a condo as well, same problem. I finally learned to bring a flashlight at night so I could spare my shoes.

I have confronted people, it really does no good. If you see who is doing it make a complaint to the association. AND you could do what I did, which was pick up the poop and put it next to their front door. I did that.

I have noticed that some owners pick up, place it in a plastic bag, and then leave the bag lying there on the pavement or nearby!! They can't even be bothered to place the bag in a bin or take it home - so lazy!

Try to get a sign put up and see how it goes from there. Imagine if you weren't there to pick it up. Your dog would end up stepping all over it.

I have this neighbor who walks his poodle by all the time. I never see him carrying a bag. But there is always poop on my lawn. I've seen him pass by a few times, and he had the nerve to smile at me. Of course I just glared at him. He doesn't come by anymore. But I have seen him let his dog poop on someone else's lawn and then just kept walking. The nerve of people. If I knew where he lived, I'd pick up all the poop and dump it on his lawn with a note. Seeing how he likes it.

Thanks, guys - I knew I wouldn't be the only one with this problem but I'm shocked by these stories...I mean, the audacity! I can understand the occasional "caught without a baggie" situation, but how do these people walk by the same area day after day and SEE the un-picked up poop and keep adding to the mess?!

Unfortunately our HOA is completely useless. I think I'm going to either buy or make signs and put them in the landscaped area. If I knew who was doing it, I'd talk to them or leave them treasures by their front door, but I don't.

The worst is there is a poop station right in front of the house next door and there is a huge pile of poop RIGHT next to it. I mean how freaking hard it is to grab a free bag and bend over and toss it in.

My problem at night is my little chi poops and she moves around as she poops and it is sooooo small. I have no idea where she finally goes so in the morning I try to look for it and I am usually pretty good at finding it and picking both poops up the next day.

I'm sorry about your irresponsible neighbors balihai88. I agree with BellaFiore, that it does little if any good to confront the offending dog owners. And, I believe these offending dog owners do it repeatedly because they simply don't care and bank on the fact that no one will confront them.

I offer people plastic bags if they don't have one. If I see them do it again, I ask them if they forgot the previous time that they had no bag on hand and also ask when they intend to start carrying one, since their dog will have to poop again. At this point, the offending dog owners usually change their route or start carrying a plastic bag.

I admit it!!! When I first got my pups I didn't pick up after them and got very defensive when a lady approached me once with a bag. But here we are 6 years later, and we've been picking up after the loveys for several years now. I have a strong LED flashlight on my keychain specifically to look for poops when we go out when it's dark.

Now, I'm all upset at the folks who don't pick up. DH has taken to asking people if they pick up after their dogs, which we always get the offended "of coursssse!!!" then watch as they proceed to leave their turd behind. There's a guy in my neighborhood with a large black dog and once he saw me sitting in my car after his dog had pooped and he just lingered in the area. And lingered. And lingered. Until he realized I wasn't leaving my car any time soon and then he bent and pretended to pick something up. Ugh. I never know what to say to these people!

Worst thing is my dogs had a run in with that black dog today. It's a pretty aggressive dog and walks around muzzled. Well, I was on the front lawn of my condo today and we were just staying there and they appeared. Then they sat watching us for awhile. Then walked very very slowly past us as their dog started growling at us. Of course my dogs start straining at the dog and horror of horrors both of their collars snap off! Horror of horrors. Then the prissy wife starts kicking around at my 15 pounders and starts screaming at me that it's not okay to have my dog off leash..... Ugh ugh ugh. She's right off course that they shouldn't be able to get off leash. But they sure fought hard and darned stupid collars..... Getting new ones. But I sure hated to have been caught with snapped off collars with those poop leaving folks.

Anyway, I digress, but I had to admit my prior indiscretions but I totally hear you on the poop leavers and I have long since seen the error of my ways .

In many cities, there is a city municiple code/ordinance that you MUST clean up your dog crap or there is a fine. Same kind of thing as a leash law.......although, what are the odds that a cop/animal control officer is going to drive by right when someone's dog drops a biscuit on your lawn? :nuts:

Oh yes, we have signs with the municipal code, and a picture of the offending doo doo behavior on the lamp posts by where the grass is. And would ya know, that's one of the worst patches!

I have never actually seen anyone not pick up after their dog in front of the building, this is what makes it so hard to do anything directly about it.

I should just put up signs that say, "Don't be a lazy shmuck. Pick up after your dog. Whenever you don't, you are breaking the law. We know who you are. YOU know who you are." Either that, or install those fake surveillance cameras outside of the building!