Tech iPhone 6

Say you have At&T and your plan is only 13 months into your last upgrade. You'll sign a NEW 2-year agreement typically for upgrading.

Did they change this? Cause they used to not let you do that. You have to wait until your contract is up before they'll give you a discounted phone price. If that's the case, I'll just keep renewing, getting discounted phones, then sell them on ebay for 3 times what it cost me!!

Chessmont...go sign in to your account at wireless.att.com and you can tell right there if you're eligible for a discounted upgrade.

Did they change this? Cause they used to not let you do that. You have to wait until your contract is up before they'll give you a discounted phone price. If that's the case, I'll just keep renewing, getting discounted phones, then sell them on ebay for 3 times what it cost me!!

Chessmont...go sign in to your account at wireless.att.com and you can tell right there if you're eligible for a discounted upgrade.

Maybe they've done something similar to what Sprint offers, where you can renew your contract w/o penalty, and pay for the phone over time (full price, not discounted). The other option is to do what I've been doing and pay full price for an unlocked phone and switch out your phone w/o affecting your contract at all. The only way you can get a phone at a discounted price is to wait for your contract to be up.

(Chessmont said she's less than a year into her contract so she's probably not eligible for a discounted phone ;) )

Nope, I'm with Swanky on this one. Also have AT&T and all you have to do to get cheaper price is start back from zero with a new contract regardless of where you are in your upgrade cycle. I've done it two times.

So that's all I can do? Or can I buy the phone cheaper and get a new plan with the same carrier?

Say you have At&T and your plan is only 13 months into your last upgrade. You'll sign a NEW 2-year agreement typically for upgrading.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info! I do have ATT and the new contract is less than 1 year old...

You'll have to sign a new 2 yr then. It's pretty common, we do it everytime we upgrade.

Unfortunately, they did change it. I am in the same boat since I did the 2 year upgrade last year. Last year was the last year you could really get away with that early upgrade for 2 year thing. So your only options are that scammy NEXT thing where you effectively finance the new phone and end up paying way more for it than you otherwise would while "leasing it", or to swap an upgrade from another eligible line that has a 2-year contract eligible upgrade, or buy it in full upfront. I am buying it upfront in full and selling my 5S unless my DH takes it which right now is unlikely.

Nope, I'm with Swanky on this one. Also have AT&T and all you have to do to get cheaper price is start back from zero with a new contract regardless of where you are in your upgrade cycle. I've done it two times.

Sorry, but this is impossible. AT&T would be out of business. I had 2 lines on my account for this very reason. I always wanted the newest phone, but I couldn't upgrade for 2 years, so I'd use each account's upgrade cycle to get a new phone every year, then pass the older one down to my son. One of my accounts would be ending its 2 year contract, so I'd use that to upgrade. The second account would be ending its contract the next year, so I'd used that one to upgrade when the time came. I did that for 5 years.
That's the whole point of the new T-mobile model and AT&T NEXT. Instead of getting a discounted price and waiting for a new phone every two years, you pay full price for a phone and split up the payments over12-18 months. Whenever you want a new phone, you either pay the balance and keep the current one, or you turn the current one in for a credit towards the full price of a new phone.
If did what you guys are saying, what's to stop me from buying a discounted phone today for $200...keeping it for a month, renewing my contract again, getting another discounted phone for $200, then selling the previous one for $500 or $600 on ebay, so on and so forth doing the same thing every month?? I'd be making $2-300/month just selling my discounted phones and renewing my contract every month. I promise..that can't be the case. Now, sometimes, if you're a "Valued" customer, they'd give you an early upgrade, but that was only a few months early. Maybe 4 months prior to your two year contract ending.

Last edited:
Ways to Save: Who's paying the most for iPhone buy backs

Matthew Granite, WFAA 6:49 a.m. CDT September 9, 2014
gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/570cc491da6d831ab2eb41b70c872c9943a70934/c=270-0-1630-1022&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/WFAA/WFAA/2014/09/09/1410263234000-0909iphonebuybacksone.jpg
Ways to Save: iPhone buy backs(Photo: Ways to Save: iPhone buy backs)

In my continued search to save you time and money, today we get you cash for your used and bruised iPhones. Whether you're considering the iPhone 6 or would like to know what your current iPhone is worth, I have you covered.
Watch this quick Youtube video that shows you who's paying the most and what you can get for your current iPhone.
I would like to point out that timing is key. If you're reading this before Apple's iPhone 6 announcement or directly after, your pay-out before product release dates are the highest. Waiting a week on a quote for an iPhone buy-back could be as much as 20% lower in my experience.
Usell.com indicates that locking in a sale price before an upcoming iPhone launch can increase the value of an older iPhone by up to $62. Also, please keep in mind that on the days Apple releases a new product, scams multiply in a huge way. There are already plenty of illegitimate buy-back offers so please be extra cautious today.
So who has the best Buy Back promotion this year? eBay! The company has launched an aggressive campaign where you get a $100 coupon just for listing if your phone does not sell. Their buy-back offers were some of the best at the time this article was written as well as those from Gazelle.
At the time this article was written, these were the top buy-back offers on an unlocked 32 GB iPhone in good condition:
iPhone 5s: $280 - $300
iPhone 5: $170 - $190
iPhone 4s: $100 - $120
Now it's time to find out your quote. Below you'll find my favorite buy-back offers today and in general:
Free $100 Coupon Just For Listing If Phone Doesn't Sell + Highest Buy Back Offers
**Pay-outs as high as $400 today
Gazelle's Re-Launched iPhone Buy Back Program Today
**Quick instant quotes
And if you'd just like to find out how much another Apple product is worth or get some cash back, I've had great success with
SellYourMac.com
. I'm a big fan of their customer service too and they pay well on Macs, iPads and other Apple products.
We do not receive any financial compensation for mentioning any store, coupon or product. The only purpose of this series is to save you money.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/money/con...-iphone-buy-backs-sell-matt-granite/15322701/

I was told never to an "unlocked" buy back.

Thanks, I did and of course I am not eligible because I have had my phone for less than a year...

If you are still in the 2 year contract term, you will have to sign up for their NEXT program to get a new phone for AT&T subscribers. But if there is a line under your plan that already have upgrade eligibility, you can transfer it to a different line. For example, line B have the upgrade eligibility while line A is only 9 months into 2 year contract, line B can transfer the upgrade eligibility to line A. Line B will also take over line A's timeline, and be considered 9 months into contract instead of reset the 2 year clock.

Correct. They don't allow early upgrades without doing that or NEXT now. I am not going to swipe my husband's upgrade unless he takes this one because I want him to upgrade his dang phone.

Correct. They don't allow early upgrades without doing that or NEXT now. I am not going to swipe my husband's upgrade unless he takes this one because I want him to upgrade his dang phone.

same here, 3 people on my plan want to upgrade but there's only two upgrade credits.....and one of the credit is from my hubby - poor guy still use the Note 1 from 2011:nogood: