Tech iPhone 4 Battery Issues

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. I just purchased the iPhone two days ago (switching from a blackberry which I could go about 24 hours without charging) and it seems like the battery dies SUPER fast. It was fully charged-100% and was on 20% after only about 5 hours of normal use. Is this normal for an iPhone or is mines defective? This seems so unreasonable!

2. 5 hours of usage is just about what I get from my iPhone battery. Apple's Tech Specs list their battery time.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
    Talk time:
    Up to 7 hours on 3G
    Up to 14 hours on 2G
    Standby time: Up to 300 hours

Internet use:
    Up to 6 hours on 3G
    Up to 10 hours on Wi-Fi

Video playback: Up to 10 hours
    Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

3. They really need to work on the battery.
    I'm getting mine soon and having to charge my phone twice a day isn't very appealing

4. Yeah it's pretty bad. Today mines lasted all day but that's because I barely used it an as soon as I got home I had to put it on the charger. And lets not forget how terrible AT&T service is. I kind of regret switching from the BB.

5. Also check your settings. If you have your e-mail set to "push" for new data often it'll use more battery. Lots of little setting changes can improve it.

6. What do you consider "normal use"?

Most days my battery lasts to about 70-75% (and that's with me doing things like checking my blogs or Twitter, opening up the Kindle app, etc, throughout the day -- I also play some games, when I'm waiting for my kids or an appt). I *don't* have push mail -- I only get mail when I open the app. I also don't talk a lot on the phone -- maybe 2 calls a day; I tend to text more.

I do charge it every night, so I know I'm starting with a full battery in the morning.

When I upgraded my 3GS to 4.0, the battery drained superfast, and I read somewhere that I should restart the phone (hold down the home button and the off button, turn it off, then turn it back on). I didn't have the battery draining problem after that.

7. I switched from BB to the iphone 4 a few weeks ago and experienced the poor battery life the first week or so as well. It has since gotten better.

Are you completely shutting down apps that you aren't using? I didn't know about this until my friend told me. Not sure if you are already aware of this, but if you press the home button twice on the home screen, you can scroll through all the apps that are running in the background. To close them, hold down on one of them and then you are able to close whichever ones you want.

8. Today I did all of my internet stuff via 3G (no access to wifi during the day) and I think that hurt my battery -- it's already at 50% mid-afternoon, which is unusual.

9. Did you "season" your battery? I was told to run it completely out and charge it to 100% the first 5 uses, then you can do whatever. I've noticed that my battery started lasting longer and longer after this, and now I can go a day and a half between charges.

10. Well I don't have an Iphone but experiencing the same saga with the ipod touch 4. After reading the apple forums I thinks it's an apps issue or either operating system issue. I had to close down all active apps and what not from running in the background. The situation slightly improved after I did that. I really do feel your pain.

11. Also helps to adjust your screen brightness under settings. Also lithium batteries don't need to be seasoned. That use to be the case with the old lithium batts.

12. Always close the unused apps running in the background - when I do that I can go 1.5 to 2 days without charging. FYI, I surf a fair bit on my iPhone and my 3G, wifi and push mail are always switched on.

13. When DH and I got our iPhone 4s the sales associate told us to let the battery run down to 15% and then charge it. The battery has to become acclimated to the usage and that's the best way to get the most life from your battery. If you constantly charge it or keep it plugged in overnight the battery becomes dependent on that charge. I can get a whole days use out of my iPhone 4 and then I charge it in the morning when I wake up. That's pretty good considering that I have my email set to push every 15 minutes and my Bluetooth is always on. I get pretty great battery life from mine.

A lot of the game apps really wear down the battery especially Words With Friends. It feels like WWF could wear down your battery in an hour or 2. It's crazy.