Tech iPad Air

fettfleck

<3 my stams
O.G.
Nov 1, 2007
I ordered a iPad Air, but am now having second thoughts because I saw and tested it today at an Apple store and noticed that it vibrates when playing music or a video quite hard!

Does anybody already having an iPad Air and noticing that sensation? My old iPad 2 actually feels much more stable...

I have an iPad Air and I do notice a bit more of a vibration than with the iPad 4. My iPad isn't in a full case yet (my store hadn't gotten them in yet), so I don't know if that will make a difference or not. I did do a test with my iPad Air and iPad 4 - I took the case off my 4 and played the same You Tube video on both devices at the same time at the same volume. The Air vibrated more than the 4, but the 4 was not without vibration entirely. I think its because its thinner, so the iPad Air doesn't absorb the sound as much as the thicker iPad 4. There's less space between the speaker and the iPads backing, so you feel more of what's going on inside, whereas the previous iPads were so much thicker, you didn't feel its "insides" as much (does that make sense?) I also think because the bevel is smaller on the Air, the sound is more contained - for lack of a better word - whereas the older iPads have wider frames, so the sound is distributed more widely. Does that make sense? Between its thinness and smaller frame, its only natural you'll feel more of a vibration.

It wasn't enough to be bothersome (to be honest, I never really noticed until you pointed it out & asked about it!) and I do wonder whether or not a case will make a difference.

Last edited:
It wasn't enough to be bothersome (to be honest, I never really noticed until you pointed it out & asked about it!) and I do wonder whether or not a case will make a difference.

Thank you iluvmybags and bijou for your reports!

iluvmybags - I totally get what you mean. That is what many reports say also: you just feel more whats going on in the iPad because it is thinner and might transfer movement etc. at a higher grade.

My main concern, was whether it would be bothersome when you use it for e.g. movies (for instance while traveling or just watching a movie in bed - ya - I love doing this sometimes :P), when it is vibrating in your hands. But if you don't find it bothersome then it should be ok. :biggrin:

BTW, do you like your iPad Air better than the older versions? :smile:

don't see a reason to upgrade...unless you're a super apple fan and really love keeping up with the trends ;) thin and processor upgrade + retina display don't seem to be enough of a justification for the upgrade...the ipad mini was only half a year ish ago!

My thoughts first, too, that's why I did not get an iPad Mini, though it looks pretty handy... (Though I find it too small for reading...).

I mainly like the larger storage option on the iPad Air because I use it a lot for work purposes and as entertainment center while on business trips. I am excited to see how it is, when it arrives. I just got the message that it was shipped.

However I was pretty bumped when I read it was shipped from Chengdu, China....!!!

I have an iPad Air and I do notice a bit more of a vibration than with the iPad 4. My iPad isn't in a full case yet (my store hadn't gotten them in yet), so I don't know if that will make a difference or not. I did do a test with my iPad Air and iPad 4 - I took the case off my 4 and played the same You Tube video on both devices at the same time at the same volume. The Air vibrated more than the 4, but the 4 was not without vibration entirely. I think its because its thinner, so the iPad Air doesn't absorb the sound as much as the thicker iPad 4. There's less space between the speaker and the iPads backing, so you feel more of what's going on inside, whereas the previous iPads were so much thicker, you didn't feel its "insides" as much (does that make sense?) I also think because the bevel is smaller on the Air, the sound is more contained - for lack of a better word - whereas the older iPads have wider frames, so the sound is distributed more widely. Does that make sense? Between its thinness and smaller frame, its only natural you'll feel more of a vibration.

Are you satisfied with the speed and quality of the pictures?
Does the weight make that much of a difference?
It is on my son's Christmas list and I really am looking for real people feedback.
Tia.:smile:

So my iPad Air arrived today. Sofar quality of the pictures and videos are very sharp thank to the retina display and that sound issue is not that bad as I had expected. It does vibrate way more when the sound is on loud (e.g. when watching movies), which might get uncomfortable when you are holding it in your hands. And the sound does not sound better to me though it has an additional speaker. On downside definetely is, that it feels more flimsy than my iPad 2. Perhaps the weight will compensate that, but I am yet not convinced. For now at home I don't notice the weight difference alot. But that might change.

Will test it for few more days and report back.

So my iPad Air arrived today. Sofar quality of the pictures and videos are very sharp thank to the retina display and that sound issue is not that bad as I had expected. It does vibrate way more when the sound is on loud (e.g. when watching movies), which might get uncomfortable when you are holding it in your hands. And the sound does not sound better to me though it has an additional speaker. On downside definetely is, that it feels more flimsy than my iPad 2. Perhaps the weight will compensate that, but I am yet not convinced. For now at home I don't notice the weight difference alot. But that might change.

Will test it for few more days and report back.

Great feedback:smile:

Great feedback:smile:

Thx limom. :smile: For now I really like the sturdy iPad 2 more. I remember even carrying a mug on the iPad 2. I guess I wouldn't try that with the iPad Air...

I actually think that even the iPad 2 does give in when you push on the screen, it is just not so noticable because the thicker rim and body provides more hold. You feel motion way more on the iPad Air. But that's probably the cost of losing weight. :P

Synchronizing bytheway went pretty well. Only a few apps and the games weren't transferred. But I was able to download them manually. No idea why that went wrong.

One thing, I might add is, that I really dislike iOS 7. The font is really difficult to read (and I am not really old...) and the icons really look like kindergarden style.

So still testing...

I got the IPad Air and I love it.

I find it noticeably faster than my last IPad and it connects better to my data provider and wireless network. I carry my IPad daily so I find the reduced weight a real plus too.

I had the air for a few days- looooved it! But then they released the mini retina and I traded in for that. Now Im kinda wishing I kept the air. The new lightweight feel is amazing and really made a big difference compared to the past ones. Great buy IMO!

Do you have the feeling that the iPad Air is somewhat slow? I have that feeling comparing it with my prior iPad 2. Also it does hang sometimes during loading, e.g. web sites or in the itunes or app store.

Do you guys have the same problem or is it a bug with mine?