Invalid Bid Retraction Problems

ntntgo

Style has no price
O.G.
Jul 15, 2009
Is anyone having a problem with Ebay allowing people to retract bids, not one bid, but when they've been entering multiple bids in a war with another bidder, cancel with the excuse of "entered the wrong amount"?

I have had them allow high bidders on 2 of my auctions over the last 90 days enter multiple bids, tie up my listing, then 3-5 days after their last bid cancel their bid with the excuse that they entered the wrong amount.

On a current listing I have they allowed ginamarie359 to cancel her high bid (she had 7 bids over 3 days, her last bid was 2 days ago) saying she entered the wrong amount and not force her to put in another amount. This set off a chain reaction because now the bidder that she was bidding against, mrdarcyslovechild, cancelled her bid, after having put in multiple bids and her high bid was in for 4 days. Now, my item has lost close to $800 in a 12 hour period because of these 2 cancellations.

This is something that Ebay has to fix. I am a buyer as much as a seller, and I would never do this. I've retracted one bid in my 10 years on ebay and it was because I truly put in the wrong amount but reentered the corrected amount.

I would like to know if anyone else if running up against this and if anyone has any advice to keep this from happening.

I agree, ebay doesn't care for anything except getting their fees.

This happened to me a while back when I listed a pair of CLs. Twice I listed and people were retracting right before the 12hr cut off. I called chatted with ebay online, and they allowed me my listing fees back and I relisted.

It is VERY frustrating. I would relist again...800 is a HUGE loss!

Yes. Luckily someone else bid, but it IS frustrating!

Here is the link to report........ http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/invalid-bid-retraction.html
it is at the very bottom in small print.

I don't think Ebay really cares about anything other than $$$$$$$

Thanks poopsie. I did report it both through the link and through a chat on the first one and on the phone on the 2nd person but, when this happend a few months ago, I kept checking to see if she was still able to bid. I was tracking her and they never suspended her account. So, I doubt that they'll do anything about these 2 either. I'm a powerseller and it doesn't mean anything to them. You are totally right. It's all about the money.
Just to prove it, let me make an add'l point. I qualify for the Top Seller Program, which gives you significant discounts. However, what they don't tell you is that you have to have 100 domestic sales in a 12 month period. The key there is DOMESTIC. I have a lot of overseas buyers because I sell mostly Chanel & Louboutin (high ticket items that I pay high fees on). My overseas sales don't count toward the Top Seller Program but, honey, I still have to pay those fees just like everyone else. And I guarantee you that my fees are a whole lot higher than a lot of those Top Sellers that sell 100 pieces of junk domestically while I've sold over 100 Chanels, Louboutins, Pradas, etc and half have gone out of the country. Mostly to the UK, Canada and Europe.
So, you are absolutely right, they care about their money and that is it.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I honestly feel that eBay is turning into a sellers nightmare. I also seem to remember that you used to be able to see how many bid retractions a person had done as part of their feedback profile. I just checked your 2 'buyers' and see no mention of it. As a seller, I'd like to block bidders that make a habit out of doing that.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I honestly feel that eBay is turning into a sellers nightmare. I also seem to remember that you used to be able to see how many bid retractions a person had done as part of their feedback profile. I just checked your 2 'buyers' and see no mention of it. As a seller, I'd like to block bidders that make a habit out of doing that.

Yes, unfortunately, you can't block bidders for cancelled bids, only non-paying bidders. There's no way to access how many bids a bidders has cancelled. I think that is very unfair to the seller. While I clearly state in my ads that no bids will be cancelled and to please bid responsibly, I really have no control because they can cancel their bids up to 12 hours before the end of the auction.

I just read in the Powerseller discussion boards that people are working in teams now to run up the item very high so no one will bid and then cancel their bid right before the 12 hour cutoff so that it brings the price all the way back down. Of course, as soon as someone cancels a bid, I put them on my blocked bidder list (I got burned on the first Chanel bag I sold by not doing this and a bidder that ran it up cancelled her bid at the last chance, then bought the bag at a huge discount because no one else bid on it because she bid it up so high so, now I put them on my blocked bidder list) so, now they work in teams. Once one cancels their bid (now they have started working in 3's so there is someone to bid against to really run it up because they've caught on that people have started setting lower reserves) then one cancels, then the next bidder cancels. Next thing you know, your item is down $800, like mine. Then one of their cohorts bids while it is low again.

If my listing doesn't run back up (they waisted 4 days out of my listing), I'll cancel it before the 12 hour cut off and relist it.
This is all information that I just gathered off of the powersellers discussion board. Also, there are apparently, quite a few people that have multiple Ebay IDs that they can bid with.
So, please, all of you, be diligent. And report all invalid cancelled bids. If someone truly made a mistake, they will usually contact you. Not cancel multiple bids many days later.

I just read in the Powerseller discussion boards that people are working in teams now to run up the item very high so no one will bid and then cancel their bid right before the 12 hour cutoff so that it brings the price all the way back down. Of course, as soon as someone cancels a bid, I put them on my blocked bidder list (I got burned on the first Chanel bag I sold by not doing this and a bidder that ran it up cancelled her bid at the last chance, then bought the bag at a huge discount because no one else bid on it because she bid it up so high so, now I put them on my blocked bidder list) so, now they work in teams. Once one cancels their bid (now they have started working in 3's so there is someone to bid against to really run it up because they've caught on that people have started setting lower reserves) then one cancels, then the next bidder cancels. Next thing you know, your item is down $800, like mine. Then one of their cohorts bids while it is low again.

Whoa. That's a new one. Thank you for letting us know abou this stuff.

I agree with you, you may want to cancel the auction, block these bidders and relist.

p-WA

The way to check on the number of bid retractions is to go to the person's feedback page then go to their feedback as a buyer. The number of retractions is on the right just above the date/time column.

mrdarcyslovechild has 6 retractions in the last 12 months!

The way to check on the number of bid retractions is to go to the person's feedback page then go to their feedback as a buyer. The number of retractions is on the right just above the date/time column.

WOW, Ebay told me that I couldn't check to see that. That bidder has only been a member since Jan 2010. So in less than 90 days she's has 6 retractions? Holy cow.

poopsie, you are a wealth of information. I wish that we could block bidders based on the number of bid retractions that someone has had and not just how many non-payments. Great info. You are my Ebay guru.

Do you think Ebay actually does anything about it though?

Last edited:

Thanks for the info - I'm glad we're still able to check that!

^^^^I finally just shut the auction down because the next bidder had 16 bid retractions in the last 12 months and...ready for this...she was high bidder on 2 of my Chanel Cambon bags. I spoke to ebay and they felt there might be something fishy going on. Now, here's my question, the one bidder mrdarcyslovechild has only been a member for 30 days and has had 6 bid retractions, how is she still being allow to bid? This other bidder has 16 bid retractions in a year and she is still allowed to bid. So, does ebay really do anything about protecting their sellers from these compulsive bid retractors?
From now on, I'm putting right in my ad that every bidder's bid retraction history will be checked and I reserve the right to cancel their bid if their bid retractions exceed 3 in a 12 month period or for bidders with less than 2 years of feedback on Ebay, 1 in a year.
Does anyone find that too extreme?

No, I completely agree with you. How do I find out how many retractions someone has had? I am getting ready to list a few LV's that I have, and I am really scared of scams after reading the messes on TPF that people find themselves in with IDIOT buyers and sellers.