Introducing a new cat to your dog?

athena21

Aug 8, 2011
I've got a 3 1/2 year old boxer/shepherd mix I adopted early last summer. I've been interested in adopting a cat (or two....still deciding on that) in the near future. I know she came from a family who had two cats and she got along well with them. She's met one of my parents cats and they get along fine. With the other one (who doesn't like ANY animals), they've sniffed around and she seems very curious but has been gentle with approaching her. One thing I've noticed is that while she's licking her lips and looks pretty anxious, her hackles haven't gone up when she sees the cat, like they do when she sees a squirrel or another dog outside.

Anyone have any stories/advice on how they introduced a cat to their dog? I do have another room that I've planned on keeping the cat in when I'm at work, until I can trust them together. I'm just a little afraid of prey drive, although she's never hurt another animal from what I've seen or been told.

athena21 said:
I've got a 3 1/2 year old boxer/shepherd mix I adopted early last summer. I've been interested in adopting a cat (or two....still deciding on that) in the near future. I know she came from a family who had two cats and she got along well with them. She's met one of my parents cats and they get along fine. With the other one (who doesn't like ANY animals), they've sniffed around and she seems very curious but has been gentle with approaching her. One thing I've noticed is that while she's licking her lips and looks pretty anxious, her hackles haven't gone up when she sees the cat, like they do when she sees a squirrel or another dog outside.

Anyone have any stories/advice on how they introduced a cat to their dog? I do have another room that I've planned on keeping the cat in when I'm at work, until I can trust them together. I'm just a little afraid of prey drive, although she's never hurt another animal from what I've seen or been told.

Hi There, I have a dog and 2 cats, and have had pets my whole life. When adopting your cat(s), check if they've lived with, or been around dogs (while some shelter cats history is unknown, a lot are). Some cats just hate dogs, while others are fine. Often older cats tend to be a little less tolerating of dogs too. When you do bring a cat home, introduce them slowly, but don't exclude the dog or jealousy may occur. Maybe put the dog on a leash while the cat explores its new home. Hopefully the cat will come to check out the dog. If you're getting a shelter cat, find one that has an outgoing personality, rather than a shy one who hides.