Intl Buyer Never Claimed Item...What About Me?

Apr 30, 2011
I sold an item on Ebay way back in October. The buyer paid right away and I had the item shipped out via EMI the next day. The buyer never picked up the package and the item was sent back to me. Even before the item was sent back, the buyer contacted me asking me where their item was. I gave them the tracking info and number, which said that the item was at their post office and that the needed to pick it up. I even contacted USPS and opened an investigation. They concluded the investigation and said that the package is at the PO and needs to be picked up. This was a few weeks ago. Fast forward to a couple days ago, I got the package sent back to me because it was sitting in the post office, unclaimed, for over a month. I suspected that the buyer had buyers remorse or something. So I went to their feedback and the day after they purchased the item from me, they purchased the EXACT SAME ITEM from a different seller that was $5 cheaper. I am thinking that they thought that if they don't pick it up, then they can get their money back? Now here is where I am worried. I did everything right on my end, I shipped the item fast, with tracking and insurance. It is not my fault that they left the package unclaimed for over a month. Will I have to refund them their money? I know ebay always sides with the buyer so that is why I am worried.

I just received an email from the buyer saying that they never received the item so they are cancelling the payment. The very next email is from Paypal saying that they received a complaint about an item that was not received. This is the rest of the email:

We are contacting you to let you know that we will not be continuing this
investigation because this complaint was filed 45 or more days after the
original transaction date. However, we reserve the right for the next 180
days to begin an investigation if we later determine that this complaint
should be examined.

We are committed to providing our community a safe environment in which to
transact. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, we reserve the right to
close or limit an account in response to excessive complaints received
about failure to ship merchandise, non-delivery of services, merchandise
not as described, or problems with merchandise shipped.

You do not need to contact PayPal at this time, however, we encourage you
to work directly with the buyer to amicably resolve this matter.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
PayPal Protection Services Department

I am so confused right now!! Has anyone else had this happen to them before? Advice??

You really can't have the item and the buyers $$$$. However I don't think that you should be out a penny due to buyers remorse. If it is too late for them to file, I guess it would be too late for you to have the transaction cancelled so you could get your fees back. I would refund purchase price minus fees and shipping.

Well I didn't want the item back, haha. I didn't know that the item was going to be sent back to me. I know that I can't have the item and the buyers money, it just sucks that the buyer would do this. I don't think it is fair. If they didn't want the item anymore, they could have just contacted me and tell me instead of making me open an inquiry with USPS and then opening a paypal case. I think not refunding them the shipping and fees is fair. But what if the buyer wants a full refund? Can they make Paypal make me give them a full refund?

I think your best recourse is to refund them, minus shipping charges you incurred, Ebay fees you incurred, and maybe withholding another 5% just for annoyance. Providing any refund at all would be better than not refunding them. They can do a credit card chargeback if they used their credit card through paypal. But if you give them a partial refund, it would be much harder (in my opinion) for them to open any kind of claim.

Well I didn't want the item back, haha. I didn't know that the item was going to be sent back to me. I know that I can't have the item and the buyers money, it just sucks that the buyer would do this. I don't think it is fair. If they didn't want the item anymore, they could have just contacted me and tell me instead of making me open an inquiry with USPS and then opening a paypal case. I think not refunding them the shipping and fees is fair. But what if the buyer wants a full refund? Can they make Paypal make me give them a full refund?

PP has already stated that since it is past the 45 days that they are not going to continue the investigation at this time but that they reserve the right to do so for the next 180 days.

That sounds to me that if the buyer continues to pursue it or files a chargeback that PP can still get involved.

Perhaps the solution of refunding the buyer minus shipping/fees might forestall any further action.

It certainly isn't nice what this buyer has done, but unfortunately you
will have to refund the buyer.... and would deduct shipping as well..
your buyer also may file a chargeback with their cc as well... just refund
and you could send the buyer a note telling her that you are certainly
not appreciative of what they have done....

:shocked: this person did all this over a $5 savings????? :shocked: :shocked:

I am so sorry you're going through this, OP. Maybe someone more experienced may have thoughts on this, but I was wondering if you could have this noted on the paypal case that the item was never picked up and sent back to you. Therefore, you will deduct shipping and your fees from the original payment since it is not your fault the buyer did not pick up the item. And maybe alert ebay, in case your buyer threatens negative feedback.

I'm still stunned by the $5 savings, what a cheap :cursing:

:shocked: this person did all this over a $5 savings????? :shocked: :shocked:

I am so sorry you're going through this, OP. Maybe someone more experienced may have thoughts on this, but I was wondering if you could have this noted on the paypal case that the item was never picked up and sent back to you. Therefore, you will deduct shipping and your fees from the original payment since it is not your fault the buyer did not pick up the item. And maybe alert ebay, in case your buyer threatens negative feedback.

I'm still stunned by the $5 savings, what a cheap :cursing:

Absolutely amazing........isn't it. :nogood:

I have run across buyers who think that they can bid on any number of items and then choose which one they really 'want'. Since Ebay does absolutely nothing to disabuse them of this practice i am sure there will be more of it . :rant:

I'm sorry about this nasty buyer!!
This reminds me of a post that a member in US sold a Chanel item to UK buyer before. The buyer recieved the duty payment notice and refused to pick it up. The seller warned him if it was sent back to her, she would refund him the purchase amount minus the actual shipping cost and the ebay fees. It might be better for him that he would just pay for the duty to receive it. But he didn't, and the package was sent back. When he received the refund, he was angry about the amount he received. Actually threatened to sue her. But he couldn't do anything else. No recourse either.

So, the buyer thought saved $5, but actually the buyer wouldn't receive the full refund. That means the buyer lost more than $5!!:lol:

I'm sorry about this nasty buyer!!
This reminds me of a post that a member in US sold a Chanel item to UK buyer before. The buyer recieved the duty payment notice and refused to pick it up. The seller warned him if it was sent back to her, she would refund him the purchase amount minus the actual shipping cost and the ebay fees. It might be better for him that he would just pay for the duty to receive it. But he didn't, and the package was sent back. When he received the refund, he was angry about the amount he received. Actually threatened to sue her. But he couldn't do anything else. No recourse either.

So, the buyer thought saved $5, but actually the buyer wouldn't receive the full refund. That means the buyer lost more than $5!!:lol:

Well, they outsmarted themselves.. they didn't save $5