intimidated in smaller stores?

fairygrll

Sep 19, 2010
does anyone else feel this way? i have a really hard time going into small boutiques because i feel so uncomfortable. i live on the upper west side in nyc aand there are so many cute small tores that i cant bring myself to shop at. what do u do to get over this discomfort of being watched while u shop etc?

can people point out any small stores that are either really pushy or laid back?

for the longest time ive been wanting to go to this small sweedish dress boutique called älskling, anyone have experience there?

I don't live in NYC, so I don't know the store alskling. I find I'm uncomfortable going into stores in general where I know I'm going to be approached. I don't know why, but it really bugs me. I'm one of those people that would rather ask if I need help.

I remember one day in my local Vicky's Secrets I was approached '6' times within about 5minutes! I felt like saying "leave me alone and let me shop already!" I haven't been back in there since, they've totally put me off.

I also don't like it when I'm in a higher end store, and the staff follow you around like they think you're going to steal something. That really p*sses me off! More often than not, even if there's something I really wanted I'll cut off my nose to spite my face, and walk out without it.

Anyhow, sorry. No advice. I just know where you're coming from!

Hrmm, I do know where you are coming from. I've experienced shopping in small stores/boutiques where even if they (store staff) aren't physically trailing behind you, it seems as if their eyes follow you from aisle to aisle. But there have also been times when I've visited small stores/boutiques and the staff barely look up to acknowledge you.

But if there is a store that you really want to visit but you feel uncomfy/intimidated because you're being watched--I'd just go with a friend. Or peer into the window and see if there are other patrons in the store.
That way you won't feel like the lone target of the staff's attention.

Hope you finally get to check out that Swedish dress boutique! :flowers:

I feel that way in stores where I know I will be approached. I didn't even go in the Chanel outlet at Woodbury Commons when it was still open for this reason (I KNOW. Very silly.) If the store has a small amount of inventory, I automatically don't really want to go in. I can't even really describe it.

I hate going into small stores because I feel like I need to buy something. I feel bad leaving without purchasing an item and just saying "thank you"--like I feel like I made the store owner hopeful or something. I'm talking about small owner-run boutiques not small stores with SAs and stuff.

I hate going into small stores because I feel like I need to buy something. I feel bad leaving without purchasing an item and just saying "thank you"--like I feel like I made the store owner hopeful or something. I'm talking about small owner-run boutiques not small stores with SAs and stuff.

Exactly. So I usually put on my iPod and make like I can't hear them...

This happens to me everywhere. I went into Bath and Bodyworks and I opened my purse to put a flyer away and the sales associate was all up in my business looking inside my purse! I know SA's are supposed to be helpful (I work retail, so I know their end) but all of them were on top of me, I just wanted to run out! Ugh. I feel extremely awkward walking into boutiques. I'd rather go into Macy's if I want something HE as I don't feel like theres someone else breathing down my neck.

I used to feel the same way, especially because I don´t like SAs helping me unless I need them to. I prefer shopping completely on my own, noone outside my changing room trying to talk me into things etc. But I´ve learned to come off as uninterested in a polite way so the SA´s get off my ASs lol

I will bring my husband or a friend with me. I have gone to boutiques by myself and it seems like I am always the only one in the store and the SA is so bored that we usually talk instead of me looking around.

I HATE going into boutique stores. Around here the top department store is Dillards so if you want to find higher end brands it's all in little boutique stores. The people that own them just seem SO worried that you are going to upset their stuff or something. Plus it's all usually marked over retail. I feel like if I leave without something they look down on me. I stick to internet shopping.

I don't live in NYC, so I don't know the store alskling. I find I'm uncomfortable going into stores in general where I know I'm going to be approached. I don't know why, but it really bugs me. I'm one of those people that would rather ask if I need help.

I remember one day in my local Vicky's Secrets I was approached '6' times within about 5minutes! I felt like saying "leave me alone and let me shop already!" I haven't been back in there since, they've totally put me off.

I also don't like it when I'm in a higher end store, and the staff follow you around like they think you're going to steal something. That really p*sses me off! More often than not, even if there's something I really wanted I'll cut off my nose to spite my face, and walk out without it.

Anyhow, sorry. No advice. I just know where you're coming from!
I feel the same way.

I feel the same way OP. I almost feel like I HAVE to buy something. Then I feel bad if I leave empty-handed only because they helped me out with my every need. It kinda sucks.

I know how you feel. And not only with small stores. I always feel bad if I don't buy anything after asking SA for help. I feel like I can sense their disappointments and I hate that. HATE THAT. I sometime don't go into a small store because of that as well.

When I went to Tokyo, I found Japanese SAs always ALWAYS charge you at the first moment they spot you. They are very nice though. They are there to help not to make sure you don't steal anything. But having them trail you was very awkward. I went into a D&G store (I think) with my brother and a SA came up to us immediately. And decribed every item my brother touched in Japanese. Even after we told him we didn't know Japanese! lol

By the way, I also live on UWS. Where's that dress boutique store? heheh :biggrin:

Last edited: