Workplace Interview Question

hanee

O.G.
Nov 21, 2007
After my interview, the executive director said that they would be in touch with me within a few days. I sent a thank you email to the director a few days ago (had to go through the administrative assistant since I didn't have his email), and it's now been a week since the interview and so far no news at all about the job.

I'm pretty antsy because I want the position, but since it's already been a week I assume that I'm not getting it. But I'm still waiting to hear from them, I'm new to this whole interview process. So is this within the normal time frame? Should I do anything to try and get more info?

Thanks!

redney

Lovin' Life!
O.G.
Apr 21, 2006
A week is a typical timeframe. Call the person with whom you have had contact and ask about your status as a candidate for the position, and when you should expect to hear back if they don't know right now. Also reiterate your strong interest in the position.

Good luck!

Mrs.Clark

Happily Ever After.
Aug 4, 2009
Northern Colorado
I agree with Redney...I am the buffer between applicants and the human resource department at my company and I'm always impressed by the people that call to check in. I always mention it to the HR department so they are aware that the applicant has taken the initiative to stay in contact. Best of luck to you!

pcil

Living life to the fullest
O.G.
Oct 20, 2008
Silicon Valley
I usually wait 2 weeks because I don't want to sound too pushy. You can always send a follow up email if you want expressing that you're still interested in the job.

Pursegrrl

Oh no she di-int!!
O.G.
Jun 1, 2006
Seattle
After a week it's perfectly appropriate to follow up, check status and reiterate your interest in the position.

Keep in mind, especially in August, a lot of people take vacations (at least around here) so things can move at a much slower pace than usual.

Good luck!!

hanee

O.G.
Nov 21, 2007
Thanks for the replies. I ended up leaving a message with the assistant because he wasn't in and she wasn't sure what time he would be back. So now I guess I'll wait and see.

dell

Lovin My Little Girl
O.G.
May 23, 2007
Colorado
Ok, an email is great, and or a phone call, but if you don't hear back after that then let it go. I get so friggen annoyed when people continue to call. I am busy, and will get back to them when I can. Nothing mean, but A follow up is great, not 5! :smile:

BTW, good luck! I hope you get it :smile: