Workplace Interview attire for "jean-friendly" office?

Jun 8, 2006
I need a little input here. . . there are people who are very good at getting jobs and you probably matched up your interview attire with culture? I have been reading various sources and am finding that wearing a traditional suit might not "fit" the culture. I am not saying be underdressed. Funds have been low and I just couldn't spring for a new suit. I have suits, but they are old and not only that, this is a cold winter. I had thought about wearing a charcoal grey suit. It hits just above the knee (I am 5'3 1/2) and plan on wearing tights. It's not a classic suit, so I wonder if I could wear that? I did wear it out and about as a "dress rehearsal." I asked some people what they thought. They said it looked OK. It fit, etc. Should I wear it? My other option was to wear black pants with a jacket. I wish I could have paired the charcoal jacket with pants, but I don't have any that will match with the jacket. Your thoughts? I have so much to worry about. If I can get take of this, that will be one less thing to worry about.

You see, I don't think I have a nice enough cardigan. And I happened to think about the suit that I have at the cleaners. It's the right fit and length, but it has "military or camp style pockets on the front of the jacket and the skirt.
I hadn't worn it a long time because I had gained weight. Well, I am two sizes smaller, but I am also older and rethinking it.

When you say jacket, do you mean blazer?

I'd wear nice work pants, a mid-range blouse and a tailored blazer (read: not a suit jacket).
The "jacket" isn't a traditional blazer with lapels. It is button-down. I forget the actual name for the silhouette. When I think of a "blazer," I think of one traditional lapels. This doesn't have that. I never got it as part of a suit, but whenever I take to the dry cleaners with a pair of black pants of the same fabric, they treat it as a "suit."

I wish it were not going to be cold. I would have a little more leeway. It will be cold when I set out-- about 10-15 degrees F.

My work environment is jeans casual, too. I've conducted interviews, and I only noticed the clothes if the applicant was dressed poorly. I myself have gone to interviews with just a blouse and dress pants (it's usually warm where I live). You could just wear a coat and underneath have a blouse, or nice sweater and scarf. Or wear the charcoal jacket with the black pants?

Thank you all for your imput. I had the interview on Tuesday. What happened is that I had a "fat day" and couldn't have worn the grey suit without it not looking great and I had a long way to travel. It was quite cold. I ended up wearing a crisp white button down blouse (which I had professionally cleaned and starched) and lined black slacks from Talbots. (Dressy.). Because it was cold, I did put a long, black cardigan. I didn't wear the grey jacket/blazer. It would have been a mixture of textures. You don't wooly with smooth. If the slacks had been wool, I would have done it. I did wear my good cashmere winter coat and my classic Coach field bag. It was so cold walking around; I couldn't have made it without the sweater. And I couldn't have worn the white shirt with the jacket, because of the silhouette. I made sure that my nails and clean and had them done at a nail salon. I wore flats. When I got to the interview, I saw the people were indeed dressed very casually, but not jeans. But the clothes were not particularly dressy. Read "librarian at work." I think it was OK. I would have dressed differently had I not had to trot around in the cold. I knew it was gong to be essentially a 20-hour day. The weather was going to take a nasty turn and I wanted to get the interview over with. Sadly, it was one of "those days" anyway and I struggled to keep going and remain on message.
Thanks again, all.