International Surface Shipping

skislope15

O.G.
Aug 11, 2010
Just looking to see if anyone can help me out with any information;

I shipped a package to Greece from Canada on the 14th of Oct. It was shipped internation surface shipping for $8.95 as it was only worth $80 and to ship it with tracking and confirmation was almost $63. They said it would take 4-6 weeks.

Were on week 5 now and as I'm sure you can guess my buyer is emailing me about not receiving it yet, I understand she has a 45 day window but I did say up front 4-6 weeks NOT including customs time and not taking into account that i have no idea what the mail system is currently like in Greece with the turmoil going on there.

My question is if the buyer opens a case what do I do? It will show that I paid for shipping via paypal and sent out right away (within my 2 day handling time) is that enough? If the buyer opens a INR claim and wins then recieves there package are they obligated to reverse the claim (which realistically speaking I don't forsee any one doing but maybe there is an honest person out there).

I have to wait 75 days with canada post for opening a INR claim which is the end of December.

Anyone ever deal with this kind of situation before? thanks in advance

Maybe it's different with Canada post but with USPS, they no longer have surface shipping. All international mail goes by air.

As far as your buyer filing INR, if there's no tracking to prove receipt, you will be SOL.

I'm not sure what the item was but regular priority mail (with the exception of flat rate envelope or small box) does include tracking and delivery confirmation. Does Canada have a similar equivalent?

^^don't you only need signature if it's over 250? i'm not arguing with you, i'm sure you're right and paypal will rule for the buyer, but just trying to understand how it makes sense that their rules say one thing and they do another.

Maybe it's different with Canada post but with USPS, they no longer have surface shipping. All international mail goes by air.

As far as your buyer filing INR, if there's no tracking to prove receipt, you will be SOL.

I'm not sure what the item was but regular priority mail (with the exception of flat rate envelope or small box) does include tracking and delivery confirmation. Does Canada have a similar equivalent?

Not for overseas. We have surface (cheapest) Airmail (little bit more) & Xpress International (DHL).

OP - I shipped a pair of shoes to Austraila by surface once (buyers request) & it took 10 WEEKS!!! (before it even hit customs) when they said it would take 4-6.

In the future, always send at least by airmail.

no there is nothing like the flat rate envelopes or boxes, like I said the shipping jumped about 50 bucks to add tracking which sent it via airmail instead of surface, obviously my buyer would not want to pay almost as much for the dress in shipping. i wasn't required by paypal to have the signature confirmation so I didn't think it was a big deal. So I'll basically have to wait the 75 days then try and go after canada post or get something that shows it was delivered and if I get that outside of the 45 day window can paypal reverse the claim?

did you have a claim opened on you? did you win or lose?

Not for overseas. We have surface (cheapest) Airmail (little bit more) & Xpress International (DHL).

OP - I shipped a pair of shoes to Austraila by surface once (buyers request) & it took 10 WEEKS!!! (before it even hit customs) when they said it would take 4-6.

In the future, always send at least by airmail.

No, luckily my buyer was *very* easy going & patient. I was grateful too cause they were $500 shoes! I got lucky.

I did call Canada Post well before the 75 days & they started my 'search' early - so it can't hurt to call now.

I did that this morning and posted a message through the ebay messaging system with a reference # for my conversation and attempt to start a trace, I'm hoping that discourages the buyer from a) opening a claim and b) claiming non reciept if they did recieve them

I did that this morning and posted a message through the ebay messaging system with a reference # for my conversation and attempt to start a trace, I'm hoping that discourages the buyer from a) opening a claim and b) claiming non reciept if they did recieve them

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Ebay/PP should have some sort of waiver or time extension for buyers who want their items shipped surface. 45 days is not enough!

Sounds like you sent it Small Packet Surface? There's no guarantee at all with that timing and you'd likely be SOL with Paypal. Remember surface goes via ship and then truck so it takes forever and a day.

For future reference there is definitely a Small Packet Airmail and is typically $5 more. Still no guaranteed delivery date or tracking but I've had Small Packet Airmail go from Calgary to England in 6 days.

^^don't you only need signature if it's over 250? i'm not arguing with you, i'm sure you're right and paypal will rule for the buyer, but just trying to understand how it makes sense that their rules say one thing and they do another.
I didn't say anything about signature. It's not needed for an $80 item. But tracking to prove delivery is absolutely necessary.

no there is nothing like the flat rate envelopes or boxes, like I said the shipping jumped about 50 bucks to add tracking which sent it via airmail instead of surface, obviously my buyer would not want to pay almost as much for the dress in shipping. i wasn't required by paypal to have the signature confirmation so I didn't think it was a big deal. So I'll basically have to wait the 75 days then try and go after canada post or get something that shows it was delivered and if I get that outside of the 45 day window can paypal reverse the claim?
I don't think Paypal will have anything to do with you after 45 days.

Until or unless they change the timeframe for slow shipping methods, all packages should be shipped by air. If the buyer doesn't want to pay for the service, they don't want the item bad enough.