International sellers

Sep 5, 2007
I posted this in the shopping section but not sure about traffics there so I’m going to post here too.

For international sellers who ships via DHL, do you declare the full value on the package when shipping. Or do you mark it for lower or as a gift so they don’t end up paying custom fees. If you declare full amount, has your buyer end up paying any custom fees? If yes, do you know how much? I’m trying to figure out the percentage but I can’t find the information on DHL website. TIA!!

Iana24

Feb 26, 2018
I am not a seller but has experience with one. I think best is to ask your seller. Different seller may have different term. I asked my seller to disclose full amount and she agreed initially but then talked me into disclosing as a gift as she always do with all of her shipment. I stood strong (I didn’t want a trouble) but in the end leave it to her as she also didn’t want to disclose full price. I think it has something to do with insurance charge, maybe. The more expensive the goods, the more expensive total shipping cost. It was by DHL. In the end, it went through custom just fine. But that left me a few sleepless nights until I receive my bag. I’m not in the US. The seller was. But bags coming from UK.

you can check custom fee from your country’s custom and duty website. Each country has different rate and also some exception that may apply. HTH

Sep 5, 2007
I am not a seller but has experience with one. I think best is to ask your seller. Different seller may have different term. I asked my seller to disclose full amount and she agreed initially but then talked me into disclosing as a gift as she always do with all of her shipment. I stood strong (I didn’t want a trouble) but in the end leave it to her as she also didn’t want to disclose full price. I think it has something to do with insurance charge, maybe. The more expensive the goods, the more expensive total shipping cost. It was by DHL. In the end, it went through custom just fine. But that left me a few sleepless nights until I receive my bag. I’m not in the US. The seller was. But bags coming from UK.

you can check custom fee from your country’s custom and duty website. Each country has different rate and also some exception that may apply. HTH
Thank you so much for this. I been trying to look it on and it's been difficult to find an import calculator online.