International (non US) NP - What Brands Do You Like?

nordysgal

Dec 11, 2009
So I tried to find this topic in the history, but came up short. If this topic has already been beaten to death, my apologies and please direct me to the right thread!

I am going on vacation in a few weeks to London and Paris and am trying to put together a list of nail polishes that aren't available easily - or cheapily - here in the US that I should shop for while abroad. Much as I love my American brands, I feel like there's this whole sea of international brands and colors that I need to get on my hands!

I would love some recommendations on brands to check out that are either a) not available here in the US or b) I can get much cheaper if I buy locally in the UK or France (for example, kind of how I'm going to go crazy at Longchamp in Paris because it's so much cheaper to buy le pliage there than in the US!).

The few brands I've come up with so far to check out in London are Model's Own, Barry M, Nails Inc., and Illamasqua (I think?). I haven't found any polishes to add to my shopping list for Paris.

Any advice will be much appreciated! TIA!

We're pretty poorly served in the UK for nail polish. The vast, vast majority of my collection is US brands and here we pay well over the odds for them. Nothing is cheap here.

I somehow ended up with a lot of Nails Inc but I really don't rate it very highly, and it's not particularly good value.

aEngland is from the UK but it's so "niche" I don't believe it's sold in shops as yet. butterLONDON would love you to think it's English but it's US-based.

Leighton Denny is English, I only have one polish from them and I don't think I've tried it yet. I think they started via QVC but they're now sold in some Boots and some department stores. At GBP11 (approx US$18) a bottle, it's not cheap either.

I don't know if Bourjois will be cheaper in France? is it just an urban myth that they are the same formulation as Chanel? Paul & Joe have a few nice colours, they are French but sold in a few London stores.

Mavala is Swiss I think, I don't know if it would be cheaper in France or not.

So I tried to find this topic in the history, but came up short. If this topic has already been beaten to death, my apologies and please direct me to the right thread!

I am going on vacation in a few weeks to London and Paris and am trying to put together a list of nail polishes that aren't available easily - or cheapily - here in the US that I should shop for while abroad. Much as I love my American brands, I feel like there's this whole sea of international brands and colors that I need to get on my hands!

I would love some recommendations on brands to check out that are either a) not available here in the US or b) I can get much cheaper if I buy locally in the UK or France (for example, kind of how I'm going to go crazy at Longchamp in Paris because it's so much cheaper to buy le pliage there than in the US!).

The few brands I've come up with so far to check out in London are Model's Own, Barry M, Nails Inc., and Illamasqua (I think?). I haven't found any polishes to add to my shopping list for Paris.

Any advice will be much appreciated! TIA!

I'm speaking for just the polishes you can get easily in London, so hope this helps.

Barry M is 2 for £5 at Boots - Right now they are doing 3 for 2, so hopefully that deal will be there for you too

Models Own is £5 each a Boots - same 3 for 2 promo

Superdrugs has Gosh (£5) - they are also doing a 3 for 2 promo right now
You can also find brands like: beauty uk, MUA, Miss sporty, and accessorize at Superdrugs, they are very cheap (£1-3)

Illamasqua is more expensive here than the US, but if there is a color you want specifically that is available in the US such as Raindrops, go to Selfridges.

Boots also has brands like: No 7 (£7), W7, Rimmel, Max Factor (£4.99), Revlon (£6), Ruby & Millie (was £12, now they are £2.50), Sally hansen, Collection 2000 (£1-4), Bourjois (£5).

They also carry Chanel & Dior, but they are not cheaper here than the states, in fact double the price.

Other brands you will see around are England are:
Nails Inc. (£11) at the department stores like Debenhams
Leighton Denny

SpaceNK has the higher tier polishes in stock like Rococo

Hope that helps a bit!

You can find Herôme in france for cheap (It's a Spanish company)

I've also found a couple of Collistar polish there.

If you go to Printemps in paris you can find a nice variety of le metier de beaute & Bourjois

SOTHYS? Peggy Sage?

For the UK my vote goes to Barry M. Go to Boots and Superdrug and you will find the best variety of inexpensive brands.
IMHO France has the worst nail polish selection ever. You can find cheaper brands at Monoprix. Mavala is really nice but expensive for very small bottles. If you go to Printemps Haussmann (the beauty one)you can find Sparitual, Mavala, and a bunch of other higher end brands.
As far as I know brands like Essence and Catrice are not available in the UK or France, ar you also passing by Germany, Belgium or the Netherlands?

I never knew superdrug sold GOSH nail polish. I really must go shopping in town again soon! So much i am missing out on that was right under my nose all along!

Yeah the superdrug in town is total crap tho.
I bought the last gasoline, blue monday and special edition that has been siting there for about a month hahaha
I really hope they restock, but it has been awful - all the gosh polishes had dust on it too!
lol

You all are AMAZING!! This is totally what I needed (well, need is a strong word - let's say wanted.)

Bourjois
POP
A-England (not sold in stores, but cheaper shipping!)

Good to know! My hotel is going to love me and all the stuff I'm going to buy and have shipped there.

For the UK my vote goes to Barry M. Go to Boots and Superdrug and you will find the best variety of inexpensive brands.
IMHO France has the worst nail polish selection ever. You can find cheaper brands at Monoprix. Mavala is really nice but expensive for very small bottles. If you go to Printemps Haussmann (the beauty one)you can find Sparitual, Mavala, and a bunch of other higher end brands.
As far as I know brands like Essence and Catrice are not available in the UK or France, ar you also passing by Germany, Belgium or the Netherlands?

Thanks! Printems Haussmann is the first department store I've heard of in Paris and is immediately added to my list of places to shop! I'm not passing through any other countries, but I'm wondering what I also may be able to find in Duty Free at either Heathrow or Charles De Gaulle... :thinking:

I got mine in a swap with another tpf'r who lives in Bulgaria. They're actually made in Turkey. They're the best, most amazing, stunningly gorgeous holo's I've ever seen(apart from OPI DS Sapphire and DS Signature)

Ooooh, holos? Now I have to find a store that carries it! How does it compare to the Nfu Oh holos?

anyone mention kiko or koh?? i would love to get my hands on those!

are you bringing any extra back??:graucho:

You know I will!! I was planning to bring back a bunch of extra stuff (you know, so that I can participate in an exchange or secret ____ with good stuff as soon as I hit 500 posts! Haha).