International Fedex fee from UK to USA

ceya

O.G.
Jan 7, 2008
Does any one know Fedex charges base on its value along with weight, whichever is greater?
I purchased something from UK, I asked, a week later, when see no ship indicate yet, then the seller responded that it is heavy to ship via airmail, and shipped using Fedex without telling upfront. So, am worry will get a big fee from Fedex :sad:

Thanks

This is correct. Fedex does charge either via weight, or box size (called volumetric weight), whichever is greater.

The post office will only accept international mail less than 2kg so if your purchase weighed more than this then your seller would have had no choice but to use a courier.

This is correct. Fedex does charge either via weight, or box size (called volumetric weight), whichever is greater.

The post office will only accept international mail less than 2kg so if your purchase weighed more than this then your seller would have had no choice but to use a courier.
Thank you so much for your sharing!

Do you know how much they charge per weight and/or volumetric weight?

Fedex is very expensive (much more expensive than the post office) but the seller should have paid for the parcel when shipped unless you gave her details of your Fedex account for them to bill you for the shipping? I'm not sure why you are expecting a charge from Fedex other than customs fees (unless I am misreading your post?)

Fedex charges will vary per 100g of shipment weight so I can't help with pricing unless you know the weight of what you purchased - all postage prices are available on their website though so you can get a rough idea from there. Hope that helps.

Fedex is very expensive (much more expensive than the post office) but the seller should have paid for the parcel when shipped unless you gave her details of your Fedex account for them to bill you for the shipping? I'm not sure why you are expecting a charge from Fedex other than customs fees (unless I am misreading your post?)

Fedex charges will vary per 100g of shipment weight so I can't help with pricing unless you know the weight of what you purchased - all postage prices are available on their website though so you can get a rough idea from there. Hope that helps.

Fedex and DHL both charge an additional fee to whomever receives the package for "expediting the parcel through customs" or some such thing. It's not included in the cost for shipping it, and it's not something that the seller would be able to pay ahead of time. It's one of the reasons that people don't like to purchase international items that will be shipped by Fedex or DHL.

I paid for shipping at the time of purchased, which was for airmail. He shipped via Fedex.
Have been asking him its tracking number, weight, box size, but still got no response yet (unsure he shipped yet? If he was actually shipped, why not provide me the tracking number?? )

You are correct, am just wait to pay for custom fee. Although, after reading online posts, I saw a lot of people got rip off from those fees of fedex. There are many fees they were adding up to custom fee :sad:

Fedex and DHL both charge an additional fee to whomever receives the package for "expediting the parcel through customs" or some such thing. It's not included in the cost for shipping it, and it's not something that the seller would be able to pay ahead of time. It's one of the reasons that people don't like to purchase international items that will be shipped by Fedex or DHL.

I have shipped with Fedex dozens of times and have never had any US buyer complain about this or having to pay customs charges. In fact, Fedex is one of the very few ways to comply with paypal requirements as the recipient signature can be viewed online. Also, the post office will only insure up to 500 GBP so the seller may not have been able to use the post office services. Many reasons for Fedex to have been used but can't comment on why the seller isn't respomding and unsure how common place these charges are as feel sure at least one US buyer would have complained to me?

If it was 6kg then the Post Office would not accept it - they only accept up to 2kg so your seller was limited to using a courier firm (Fedex, Parcelforce or DHL). It would still be sent airmail though.

Assuming the box was not volumetrically larger than 6kg then your seller will have paid over 100 GBP (150 USD) to ship it.

Whether you get charged customs etc seems to be hit and miss but the seller could not send an item of this weight through the post office. Maybe the seller was not aware of the weight restriction through the post office?

Hope that helps.

If it was 6kg then the Post Office would not accept it - they only accept up to 2kg so your seller was limited to using a courier firm (Fedex, Parcelforce or DHL). It would still be sent airmail though.

Assuming the box was not volumetrically larger than 6kg then your seller will have paid over 100 GBP (150 USD) to ship it.

Whether you get charged customs etc seems to be hit and miss but the seller could not send an item of this weight through the post office. Maybe the seller was not aware of the weight restriction through the post office?

Hope that helps.
Thanks a million for your replied!

I just got from him: The box size is 31 x 24 x 23 cm and weight is approx 3.0 Kg, and declared value at 50GBP
According to its tracking#, he was just now had it shipped (my predict was right :P).
If he told me not yet ship yesterday morning up front, I would suggest to ship using airmail into 2 small parcels for less in term of money and receiving.

Is it cheaper for him and me to ship 2 small packages via airmail instead of one through Fedex?

I just got from him: The box size is 31 x 24 x 23 cm and weight is approx 3.0 Kg, and declared value at 50GBP
According to its tracking#, he was just now had it shipped (my predict was right :P).
If he told me not yet ship yesterday morning up front, I would suggest to ship using airmail into 2 small parcels for less in term of money and receiving.

Is it cheaper for him and me to ship 2 small packages via airmail instead of one through Fedex?

2 x 1.5kg through the post office - £25.00 GBP each.
1 x 3kg box via Fedex - somewhere between £80 and £120 GBP

I presume the auction listing detailed a shipping service so if the seller advertised using the post office and the had to use Fedex, he will be considerably out of pocket.

I don't know about customs fees or shipping prices but I wonder if he'll lose seller protection if he ships in two separate shipments. (Sellers who take installment payments lose paypal protection. Does shipping work the same way?)

maybe it's like when we (from the US) buy something in a different country and don't have to pay customs on the item? maybe you won't have to pay the fee from fedex. i think i've read that if you're shipping FROM US to another country then the buyer has to pay something like $45 when the packaged is dropped off. but maybe that doesn't apply when receiving something in the US.