Interior of a Chanel

iwantchanel!

Mar 8, 2010
I'm wanting to buy a Chanel at the moment, and i've noticed there's not much info about the inside of the bag, and there must be tell-tale signs in there to determine if it's fake or not.
I'm thinking of buying a second-hand Caviar Medallion tote and i can't seem to get a firm answer on the material of the inside of the bag, if it's patterend, the different stamps/tags inside and where the serial numbers are on all the different bag styles.

If you've got any info that might help me (or anyone else), let us know!!

Hi,

I've got a Caviar Medallion Tote in SHW that I use all the time. The inside lining is a Black Leather with one zipped pocket. The serial number is in the very internal corner (on my bag anyway). Bought it 2yrs ago and is still as good as the day I took it home. I just love it. :heart:

I purchased Jumbo Caviar Black with gold hardware yesterday :yahoo:

Its black inside, serial number is in the left corner...(opposite the pocket). Pocket is zipped...Chanel written on the metal tag on the zip!

Attachments

• my_chanel.jpg
    my_chanel.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 270
Is there a way for you to handle a real bag at the boutique? I find that it is the best way to be familiar with the real bags. Before learning about tPF, that was one way for me to learn about the authencity of certain bags.

Of course, if you don't live near a boutique then take a look through the AT threads.

GL in finding your Chanel!

i live in london so there are quite a few boutiques and also concessions in harrods and such. but the problem is that they're so exclusive and small, the staff and the security watch you like a halk, and i'd feel a bit strange going in and examining a bag for 20 minutes and then putting it back and walking out!
but i might have to swallow my pride, and go and take a look at a real one for good measure.
does anyone know what the 'made in france/italy' tag is like inside a Medallion tote? can it be stamped/on a sewn on materal plaque/metal plaque' or do they chose a way of putting it on there and stick with it? chanel seem to have a pesky habit of chaning little things like that every now and again!

The interior of most Chanel are leather lined. I believe the cambon line is an execption and is patterned lined with CC's. Medium/ large flaps have a double flap jumbo's don't. Near the top of the purse of the purse it should say Chanel and have a copyright mark next to it. There should be a made in France or Italy marking, it usually is located on the opposite side the Chanel marking. Near the bottom of the interior there should be a serial number stick (or some reminisce of one.) HTH.

i live in london so there are quite a few boutiques and also concessions in harrods and such. but the problem is that they're so exclusive and small, the staff and the security watch you like a halk, and i'd feel a bit strange going in and examining a bag for 20 minutes and then putting it back and walking out!
but i might have to swallow my pride, and go and take a look at a real one for good measure.
does anyone know what the 'made in france/italy' tag is like inside a Medallion tote? can it be stamped/on a sewn on materal plaque/metal plaque' or do they chose a way of putting it on there and stick with it? chanel seem to have a pesky habit of chaning little things like that every now and again!

It should be stamped on the inside of the purse. I believe it's always written in all Uppercase letters.

My tote says 'made in Italy'. It is placed on the Internal pocket under the CHANEL®
in Silver. The only metal in the bag (metal may not be right way to say it) is on the zipper. There is a silver round puller with CC'S on it.

Just post in the Authenticate This Chanel thread to have one of the TPF authenticators take a look at it. I'm not comfortable sharing tips here. Counterfeiters have been known to use the tips contributed by TPFers to improve their fakes.

Go through the research library! Seriously - study that stuff. Hate to see people et ripped off.

Yes, if swallowing your pride is what you need to do, then by all means. It's better than just plain swallowing - if you know what I mean - which is what you will do if you get ripped off and get a fake. heehee:wtf:

kinda kidding there - but really.
I think it's ok for you to study the purse when you're in the boutique or wherever. After all, they are taking your money (if you buy it of course), and these aren't small sums.
You are smart. In fact, if I were them I would welcome people totally studying the purses because typically when people do that, they are serious about buying.

I know what you mean though, because my husband does that. To the extreme. In the past I would have been embarrassed, but now I think, hey, that's what kind of buyer he is, and he'll be giving them his money, they'll be happy to make that sale.

When we went to buy a preowned car, he had a freakin' SIX page checklist he had printed out. He spent a looong time combing every hair of that car while the salesman and myself stood around lol. I just laughed. But he was smart, and that's the way he does things.

Think of it this way, too- the more you know and are satisfied with what you buy, the less hassle it is for them for you to come back and have a problem with it, or try to return or complain or whatever.

oh I see what you mean OP -- studying it and then not buying it from there.

no still, do what you gotta do.

they see all kinds of stuff.
They'll prob. think you are thinking about it.

I agree with gratefull. As long as you are polite & inspecting the bags carefully (not handling it roughly) then there shouldn't be a problem. Most SAs are nice and very helpful. they do want you to be comfortable with major purchase (even if you don't buy directly from them).

As for hologram stickers, I think Chanel change the location/look every now & then to confuse the conterfeiters. There's a thread about it on here somewhere.

What ever you do, just make sure to check it out with the AT ladies first.

I have a question about the CHANEL-Made in France/Italy stamp, too.

I know exactly what the interior of new bags and all the classic styles look like. But what about bags from the seventies and eighties that we don't see anymore?

I have my eye on a bag that might be an amazing find, but there's no stamping. Instead there's a tag that says CHANEL with the copyright symbol and Made in France underneath. No serial number. And it's an odd style that they don't make anymore... Although I've seen it once in the Vintage post here, on page 18.

I don't know what to think, because not all real bags this age have serial numbers and I have no idea if there's a standard interior.

P.S. - I think it would be safe to answer this question in public, given the bag's age and obscurity. Counterfeiters probably aren't going to reproduce a 30-year old style.

I have a question about the CHANEL-Made in France/Italy stamp, too.

I know exactly what the interior of new bags and all the classic styles look like. But what about bags from the seventies and eighties that we don't see anymore?

I have my eye on a bag that might be an amazing find, but there's no stamping. Instead there's a tag that says CHANEL with the copyright symbol and Made in France underneath. No serial number. And it's an odd style that they don't make anymore... Although I've seen it once in the Vintage post here, on page 18.

I don't know what to think, because not all real bags this age have serial numbers and I have no idea if there's a standard interior.

P.S. - I think it would be safe to answer this question in public, given the bag's age and obscurity. Counterfeiters probably aren't going to reproduce a 30-year old style.

Based on the information you have provided it sounds like the bag is not so old it predates hologram stickers, but rather the sticker likely has come off or worn away from use.

ETA: you should have the bag authenticated in the authentication thread before purchasing.