Interesting shopping experience, thoughts wanted.

JuneHawk

Let's get some shoes
O.G.
May 10, 2007
Today I had an interesting experience and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the whole thing.
On Sunday, I bought an item from a pop up store of designer. As soon as I got home I realized that it was on sale at BG for a deep discount, but I was happy to spend full price and support the brand. However, three days later it went on sale at the pop up and on the designer's website, which changed things. I went back today to see if they would do a price adjustment. Not only would they NOT do a price adjustment, but if I returned the item, I was not allowed to buy the same item in the same size again, thus preventing me from getting the sale price. What the store attendant, and manger I suppose, said was that it was to prevent people buying items full price to ensure they had the correct size when it went on sale and returned it to buy it again right away. Or something like that.

This rubbed me the wrong way for two reasons. First, they are automatically assuming that people are gaming the sale, a sale that they did not even announce. And two, it's pretty freaking ridiculous and basically tells customers they don't want their business. They wouldn't even let my husband, a completely different person, buy the item again in the same size. Now, this is a designer that has merchandise in US shops but does not have a US retail location of its own, and the pop up is only open for a limited amount of time (days). For comparison, Kate Spade does price adjustments within seven days, and if you return something within the return period because it went on sale or not, you can buy it again. Neiman Marcus does it too; a few years ago I bought a pair of Manolos that went on a deep discount the next week and we did an instant return and repurchase at the store, no issues. I mean, I like luxury items and I'm willing to pay the premium, but I'm not stupid. I don't think a few days is an unreasonable amount of time to allow price adjustments.

I returned the item and walked away, ready to buy it online because I had my heart set on it. In the end, one of the store attendants chased us and allowed my husband to buy it with a different account. They were concerned I'd give them a bad review.

So, what do you think of their no price adjustment and no repurchasing if you return the item policy? I had never come across anything like this and while I wouldn't give them a bad review, quite frankly, it has made me rethink giving this company my money in the future.

Last edited:
It is something I dealt with, buying new mulberry items, for years.
(before the recent foolishness/changes)
However, by time that brand ran sales--
or bags hit outlets--
most were damaged or flawed in some manufacturing-type way.
Or really out of season--as in years.
So, I accepted that getting EXACTLY what I wanted--immediately--carried a cost.

Imo, luxury brands with sales & outlets are bit ridiculous.
They stab their own full-price boutiques in the eye.
Then whine about profit margins.

However, I did not expect refunds of full vs. sale price differences.
After my purchases.
I decided when to buy. And wore the big girl pants aboit those decisions.
Then adjusted decisions in future.

I have heard of no price adj from 1st markdown to 2nd sale markdown in regular retail venues.

But your situation is the norm for a pop-up shop. Most pop-up shops are "pop-up" for a reason and not for our convenience, as they would like you to believe.
From my experience "pop-ups" dont follow the traditional retail return/exchange policies. As there merchandise selection usually differs as well.

Also, you have to keep in mind that luxury retailers are really having a hard time with sales due to the fact that most of there brands have over-saturated the market. Reality stars, internet models, re-sellers and mass merchandising of there brand has hurt them. Due to the over-saturation of some designer brands, it feels like they should be labeled fast/throwaway-fashion, rather than luxury. I make this statement with the quality aspect in mind as well. Another sad fact that alot of us know from experience, once designers started moving production to China and other cheap labor countries, quality suffered. You simply dont get your monies worth, therefore most are willing to buy only during sale, rather than pay full price.

With that being said you could look at your situation from a few different angles. But the ultimate question should be, did you purchase your bag because you really wanted the quality and its a timeless piece you will be able to use for the rest of your life? If yes, I wouldnt care about the markdown, you will end up saving money in the long run with the use you get from your bag.

On the other hand if the quality is questionable and you are just buying because you like the designer name then return it. I would then purchase online at a good sale price.

Good Luck

I have heard of no price adj from 1st markdown to 2nd sale markdown in regular retail venues.

But your situation is the norm for a pop-up shop. Most pop-up shops are "pop-up" for a reason and not for our convenience, as they would like you to believe.
From my experience "pop-ups" dont follow the traditional retail return/exchange policies. As there merchandise selection usually differs as well.

Also, you have to keep in mind that luxury retailers are really having a hard time with sales due to the fact that most of there brands have over-saturated the market. Reality stars, internet models, re-sellers and mass merchandising of there brand has hurt them. Due to the over-saturation of some designer brands, it feels like they should be labeled fast/throwaway-fashion, rather than luxury. I make this statement with the quality aspect in mind as well. Another sad fact that alot of us know from experience, once designers started moving production to China and other cheap labor countries, quality suffered. You simply dont get your monies worth, therefore most are willing to buy only during sale, rather than pay full price.

With that being said you could look at your situation from a few different angles. But the ultimate question should be, did you purchase your bag because you really wanted the quality and its a timeless piece you will be able to use for the rest of your life? If yes, I wouldnt care about the markdown, you will end up saving money in the long run with the use you get from your bag.

On the other hand if the quality is questionable and you are just buying because you like the designer name then return it. I would then purchase online at a good sale price.

Good Luck
I wanted the item and was willing to pay full price. It's not the first time that I purchase something that has later gone on sale, but it is the first time it's happened within two or three days. As much as I like the item, a 30% discount is pretty big and no one likes to just throw money away. If the item had gone on sale later, even the day after the pop up was over, I would not have asked for a price adjustment, but having the item go on sale at the pop up so soon after I purchased it full price was a bit of a slap on the face, which is why many retailers honor price adjustments within a certain amount of time.

Today I had an interesting experience and I'd like to hear your thoughts on the whole thing.
On Sunday, I bought an item from a pop up store of designer. As soon as I got home I realized that it was on sale at BG for a deep discount, but I was happy to spend full price and support the brand. However, three days later it went on sale at the pop up and on the designer's website, which changed things. I went back today to see if they would do a price adjustment. Not only would they NOT do a price adjustment, but if I returned the item, I was not allowed to buy the same item in the same size again, thus preventing me from getting the sale price. What the store attendant, and manger I suppose, said was that it was to prevent people buying items full price to ensure they had the correct size when it went on sale and returned it to buy it again right away. Or something like that.

This rubbed me the wrong way for two reasons. First, they are automatically assuming that people are gaming the sale, a sale that they did not even announce. And two, it's pretty freaking ridiculous and basically tells customers they don't want their business. They wouldn't even let my husband, a completely different person, buy the item again in the same size. Now, this is a designer that has merchandise in US shops but does not have a US retail location of its own, and the pop up is only open for a limited amount of time (days). For comparison, Kate Spade does price adjustments within seven days, and if you return something within the return period because it went on sale or not, you can buy it again. Neiman Marcus does it too; a few years ago I bought a pair of Manolos that went on a deep discount the next week and we did an instant return and repurchase at the store, no issues. I mean, I like luxury items and I'm willing to pay the premium, but I'm not stupid. I don't think a few days is an unreasonable amount of time to allow price adjustments.

I returned the item and walked away, ready to buy it online because I had my heart set on it. In the end, one of the store attendants chased us and allowed my husband to buy it with a different account. They were concerned I'd give them a bad review.

So, what do you think of their no price adjustment and no repurchasing if you return the item policy? I had never come across anything like this and while I wouldn't give them a bad review, quite frankly, it has made me rethink giving this company my money in the future.
I think it's bad business and short-term thinking on the part of the brand. Since the sale was brand-wide INCLUDING the pop-up, the best thing for the salesperson to do would be to tell you when you bought the item that it was about to go on sale. REALLY good business would be to offer you pre-sale (Barneys does this) but, as it was a pop-up, they likely don't care about building a long-term relationship with that store or SA.
Either way, most stores, including online, do price adjustment within a week. So, no, you are not at all unreasonable and it would upset me as well.

I've definitely had this happen to me before. In fact, more and more stores are adopting this no PA or return/rebuy policy. Nordstrom Rack comes to mind immediately. I know a while back that Dillard's used to allow me to return/rebuy, but no more. It's a shame that stores are resorting to this due to abuse, but now I just have to be extra vigilant on return policies and PA policies.

I wanted the item and was willing to pay full price. It's not the first time that I purchase something that has later gone on sale, but it is the first time it's happened within two or three days. As much as I like the item, a 30% discount is pretty big and no one likes to just throw money away. If the item had gone on sale later, even the day after the pop up was over, I would not have asked for a price adjustment, but having the item go on sale at the pop up so soon after I purchased it full price was a bit of a slap on the face, which is why many retailers honor price adjustments within a certain amount of time.

I get your point and its funny because 2 months ago the same thing happened to me. However mine was an online sale purchase. But the next week they ended up dropping the price an additional 30%. I knew I could not ask for a price adj from sale to sale, so I purchased the bag again at the additional markdown with the plan to return the first sale purchase.

Well how about they sent me the wrong color of the bag I repurchased at the additional markdown! By the time I got the bag and saw it was the wrong color, the damn bag was sold out online! So I ended up returning the wrong color bag and keeping my original purchase.

With that being said...... I still got the bag on sale, so I still got a deal. Where as though they were trying to make you keep the bag at full price.

It really stinks what we go through for our fashion. I would be upset if I were you too.

Reactions: JuneHawk
Does your credit card offer a price adjustment for a scenario like this? Many do and I always forget about that benefit. I would be miffed myself. As others have said it's one thing if it's a few months, but a few days is a different story. More than likely they had knowledge of the sale, but work on commission. It would pepper my view of the brand.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think that this whole concept of "price adjustment" has gotten out of hand.

When you buy something at full price, it's like you're buying the ability to use the item from an earlier date. For example, you could buy winter boots at the very start of the season and be able to use it fully, whereas those who buy it at a deep discount at the very end of the season can only wear it for a very short time or maybe have to even save it for next season.

Buying it at full price, then getting a price adjustment at a later time when it goes on sale is like trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Yes, there are some stores that have exceptionally generous policies like Neiman Marcus, but not all stores are the size of Neiman Marcus. You said you were happy with the purchase and wanted to support the brand. Then I don't see the relevance of what an unrelated store's policy offers.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think that this whole concept of "price adjustment" has gotten out of hand.

When you buy something at full price, it's like you're buying the ability to use the item from an earlier date. For example, you could buy winter boots at the very start of the season and be able to use it fully, whereas those who buy it at a deep discount at the very end of the season can only wear it for a very short time or maybe have to even save it for next season.

Buying it at full price, then getting a price adjustment at a later time when it goes on sale is like trying to have your cake and eat it too.

Yes, there are some stores that have exceptionally generous policies like Neiman Marcus, but not all stores are the size of Neiman Marcus. You said you were happy with the purchase and wanted to support the brand. Then I don't see the relevance of what an unrelated store's policy offers.
The OP is talking about a few days' difference, not a season.

Zara does the same thing.....they dont price adjust sale items and will "hold" any returned sale items for 24 hours so u cant buy it back at a cheaper price....seems sneaky for them to do that but i still love the store :smile:

Wow... Sorry to hear your experience.

Even if that manager/SA chased me to repurchase at the discounted price, I would say, "No thank you. I offered you my business. YOU did not want it." Smile and walk away.