Interest gathering for a Project Coach RAOK

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnymasseuse

BunniesN'DaSun
O.G.
May 8, 2008
Since I like to dable in rehabbing bags, I thought maybe there would be enough interest to start a Project Coach RAOK. Similar to other RAOK's, I'd envision a limit to the $ to spend (as opposed to minimum) but realize that you will be putting more of your time and elbow grease into this than you most likely will your $$ but if you don't have your rehab-ing tools you might find some money spent on it there.

Goals:
1. Get people to learn to rehab, and collaborate for ideas on how to handle a stain, mark or blemish.
2. Get people to learn how to redye or touch up if that's their desire.
3. Rehab an older bag, or maybe even a not-so-old bag that still needs some extra work.
4. Not SPEND a lot of money, but get an ego boost by learning how to do something you didn't feel comfortable with before and might learn to be more open about later on.

Example:
Person A gets paired up with person B. Person B is ok with getting a bag that has some touch ups, but doesn't want a bag altered from it's original color, so Person A finds something fairly inexpensive on an auction site OR a local consignment shop/freebie board and cleans it up to the best of their ability. Person A sends it to Person B, and when Person B gets it, Person B takes pics of their new bag, and Person A gets to describe the before and after process of how they made it possible ;)

Concerns of mine:
I want to avoid those people who just want to get a free bag for little effort. This is a LOT OF ELBOW GREASE work, and not everything will be a success. I full expect some failures of bags, but I want both recipient and giver to be honest and forthright about the effort they put in, and make the best attempt to clean and LEARN new techniques if they don't already know any themselves. I'm sure we might have some undesirable dye jobs that are received, but if you don't like the item you would receive, I'd suggest donating it to a child or donation center and consider it a learning event instead of a gift-receiving event ;) I look at this as more of a collaborative learning event and giving than anything.

That's my thoughts, anyone think they might be interested?

Bunny, That Is a great idea! I think an RAOK of that nature would be a great !

I think if we included one refurbished bag and then a spending limit for other new coach goodies and odds and ends, that would make it worth it if the bags do not turn out as wonderful as hoped......Also, if we have a favorites list like the other RAOKs, that will help us figure out what our person would like and dislike in a bag and other stuff.

thanks bunny... i've been looking at older bags on ebay that are in need of some TLC but haven't mustered the motivation to get one for myself... the idea of rehabbing a bag as a ROAK would definitely get my rear in gear!!

Bunny, That Is a great idea! I think an RAOK of that nature would be a great !

I think if we included one refurbished bag and then a spending limit for other new coach goodies and odds and ends, that would make it worth it if the bags do not turn out as wonderful as hoped......Also, if we have a favorites list like the other RAOKs, that will help us figure out what our person would like and dislike in a bag and other stuff.

something old, something new sounds really cool!!!

I want to try to keep this as a rehab focus 99%, but I agree, if a bag rehabber is concerned about their quality of repair I'd like to leave it up to them to determine the best way to still deliver happiness to the other end ;) But yes, a Coach related low cost item wishlist might help .

I am interested, for sure. I have been wanting to do a ROAK for a while and now I am at over 400 posts, hoorah!! The only problem is I never post pics. So, I guess I better fulfill that mission before I get accepted.

Bunny, it sounds a bit complicated matching people up based on cleaning, vs touch-ups vs dye jobs. I guess we'll just have to see who is interested. And I definitely trust your judgment in matching people up.

Also, a personal concern I just thought of. The holidays are approaching. With a Project ROAK, it will take some time to find a bag, do the process(es) and mail them out. Can we get started ASAP? Otherwise I may have to wait until the next time around. :sad:

Maybe we should have some quality control rules in place.....like no rips or tears, no large ink stains...stuff like that. And we MUST post before and after photos. The bags should be wearable in the end...

I am interested, for sure. I have been wanting to do a ROAK for a while and now I am at over 400 posts, hoorah!! The only problem is I never post pics. So, I guess I better fulfill that mission before I get accepted.

Bunny, it sounds a bit complicated matching people up based on cleaning, vs touch-ups vs dye jobs. I guess we'll just have to see who is interested. And I definitely trust your judgment in matching people up.

Also, a personal concern I just thought of. The holidays are approaching. With a Project ROAK, it will take some time to find a bag, do the process(es) and mail them out. Can we get started ASAP? Otherwise I may have to wait until the next time around. :sad:
No I agree, I want to do this ASAP but want to make sure I have enough people to participate or it's not worth calling it a RAOK and we'd just do it offline instead.

I'm not going to match people with those who can or can't clean, nor am I going to match people up with those that do or don't want dye jobs. But I do want that info to be available because that way the person who is the Secret Rehabber can choose an item that best fits the desires of the person who they received, and if they don't want to dye a bag they don't have to!

I agree tho, I'd stay away from sealant issues (unless the person is comfortable with doing it), rips and tears and ink stains (unless the outside appearance is minimal or non-existent) but read up on what your recipient is willing to receive and that should help guide you.

Maybe we should have some quality control rules in place.....like no rips or tears, no large ink stains...stuff like that. And we MUST post before and after photos. The bags should be wearable in the end...
I agree, but if receiver is willing to get a hand painted bag with a design as a rehab-project then I won't limit someone's creativity, just have to keep their assigned person in mind to drive what they work on!

^^^ exactly.....

oh, isn't there an online wish list form that the other RAOKers used for the last swap?

oh and I just hit 400 posts, so I am wanting to participate for sure. I do swaps with my soap maker friends and it is completely enjoyable unless you get a dud trader, then it kind of sucks......

I love this Idea. As you know Bunny I love older bags and have a few but none need Rehab. Like Johngirl I have been nerves to get into it. But for a RAOK I would take the time and in turn I will learn so much.

So I guess it is a RAOK on both end.. :tup: GREAT IDEA..

^^^ exactly.....

oh, isn't there an online wish list form that the other RAOKers used for the last swap?

oh and I just hit 400 posts, so I am wanting to participate for sure. I do swaps with my soap maker friends and it is completely enjoyable unless you get a dud trader, then it kind of sucks......
I agree, I'll probably use elfster to manage it.

You are welcome to talk about how you rehab your bags and share stories, but to run it as a RAOK with exchanging bags is really not a good idea.

Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.