intel from Saks ....

Yeah it only makes sense. I was looking for something pre-loved before because I knew the resale prices would go up too. I couldn't find one, but I got lucky and got it retail. (old price) just prior. Now I noticed all the prices are new retail and above, and there are plenty of them out there. It just burns a little because you know most of them were scooped up at the old prices.

^ I totally agree. I personally would rather not have a bag than pay significantly more than the original retail price of that bag to a reseller. Just a pet peeve of mine.

I love Karl and all, but that quote of his makes me :rant: every time I read it.

I don't like to have to pay more, but I think I like where Chanel may be going with their price increase strategy.

First, I'm thinking that there will be fewer resellers because not all of them will be willing (or able) to shell out $5k for a bag. How much will they be able to sell it for? Will it be worth it to them? And if the price hike has weeded out the so-called "aspirational" buyers, then there should be better stock at the boutiques anyway, further reducing the business potential for resellers. I'm sure people at Chanel have been watching eBay sales and have noticed the willingness of some to pay $4k+ for certain flaps, so why would they continue to sell them at $3k-ish? That's like handing profit to the resellers for nothing (other than that they bought the bags first) and rightly so Chanel is raising prices to reclaim that profit for themselves.

Second, I suspect Chanel may be raising prices first and will follow up with increased quality in the upcoming seasons. They'll scale back their production - which had been increased due to the increased sales and demand - and produce a smaller amount which will be enough to supply the lower number of expected sales at the higher prices. I really believe that if Karl and the Chanel execs think their brand is comparable to Hermes, and want everyone else to think that way too, that they must have plans to improve overall quality and post sale service. For this last reason, I refuse to buy any new Chanel bags until next year after I've heard about and can see the improvements for myself. I'd hate to buy something now that is the same quality as last year but for $1k more :wtf:

I'm a Chanel girl, so defecting to another brand won't work for me. I can see buying ONE kelly, a few more Bottega pieces and random pieces from other brands (Lanvin!), but Chanel is where it's at for me. So even if it means I won't be buying as much as before, I'd be thrilled to see impeccable quality come back to Chanel handbags. I also wouldn't mind the improved exclusivity factor. And if the reseller business begins to die a slow, painful death, well...that'd be ok with me, too.

Oh my gosh, Beach Bum, those are absolutely gorgeous!!!!! i wouldn't be able to pick between the two, i love them both :biggrin:

and thanks for the helpful information on Chanel :smile: i was hoping to get a M/L classic as a graduation gift (and if not, after saving up from my part-time job) but it doesn't look likely anymore... :cry:

whaaa?? am i reading this right??!!?? saks will no longer get jumbos and maxis after feb at all??!!?? price increase--stinks but that i believe ;)

also, has anyone seen purple 2.55? are they waiting to come in til october with higher price? (i haven't been around much so my apologies if i missed something re this) generally, CRAZY news! thanks for passing it along. i am glad you had a nice time :smile:

i know i feel lucky for buying so many bags in the last year but i think i may be done!

thanks for sharing as usual

RE: The purple 2.55. My SA at Nordstrom's, Hector, has one left, I think still. Contact him: [email protected]

Good Luck!

Attachments

• IMG_1279.jpg
    IMG_1279.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 190
Sad news!

My SA said that Karl believes there is no difference in his bags and Hermes...they are made in the same factory and are of similar quality. (I'm doubting that the statement about the factory is true - I'm sure the experts will weigh in on this - and the walk of fame tote defect doesn't say much about their quality control. Anyhoo, I asked her if she knew what he's been smoking lately. Apparently the "compete with Hermes" message is getting around.

Glad you enjoyed the afternoon!

Hi ,could you give me your sa Saks email?
TIA

Codyntara, I took this pic for a different thread, but it will help you see how tiny this bag is (but sooooo cute!!). I apologize for the poor quality of the pic but I took it with my cell phone inside my closet.

LoveSymbolsandMiniFlap.jpg

This is the silver Love Symbols next to a mini Flap (in front of mini Birkins and mini Bolides). I'm in the office and can't measure right now but it is TINY!!

Thank you so much for the picture. It is so tiny, but so adorable. I ordered it from Saks in black. I have so many large bags, trying to add some smaller ones for evening, but we will see if this works. Big price tag for such a little bag.