Insured - Customs?

McLoverly

O.G.
Oct 7, 2006
Hi there,

I've been talking to a seller about buying a $1200 handbag and having it shipped from Canada to the USA. The seller says they will be happy to have it insured for whatever amount I like, but I'll have to pay the duties. My post office said something about how having something declared for a high amount and having customs look at it is more likely to get my item messed up or stolen. What would you advise? In the past I haven't insured bags. Should I just skip insurance and let her declare it less than $20 so that it doesn't get opened? About how much would I get charged anyway?

Thanks in advance!

TheNordstrom Anniversary Saleis NOW open to Ambassador cardmembers.Click or tap to shop the Nordstrom sale!
P.S. Don't forget to join the activeNAS 2020 threadand share your hauls with the community!

blinchik

Oct 13, 2007
I suggest using Registered Express or Priority Mail. I was told by the post office Registered Mail practically never gets lost due to special handling. Also, it rarely gets opened by customs. As to declaring the value, I wouldn't undervalue it drastically, if Customs opens it - they are not that dumb, they'll figure the item isn't worth $20.