'Inspired' Item Question

xoALEXA

May 28, 2010
I made a mistake and bought a "Cartier" Love bracelet on eBay. The seller was very nice but after I have recieved my item I discovered it was a fake. I've even already left positive feedback. The items title was '18K White Gold Plated CARTIER Love bracelet 18cm' ... I didn't realize until now that in the description it mentions the item as a Cartier Inspired Love Bracelet. The item came with a "Cartier" box and screwdriver but is counterfit. It even has the Cartier markings inside. Am I in fault with this item and SOL or can I get a refund? TIA!

I made a mistake and bought a "Cartier" Love bracelet on eBay. The seller was very nice but after I have recieved my item I discovered it was a fake. I've even already left positive feedback. The items title was '18K White Gold Plated CARTIER Love bracelet 18cm' ... I didn't realize until now that in the description it mentions the item as a Cartier Inspired Love Bracelet. The item came with a "Cartier" box and screwdriver but is counterfit. It even has the Cartier markings inside. Am I in fault with this item and SOL or can I get a refund? TIA!
Please file a report for SNAD with Ebay, yes it hurts that you left +FB but let them know you weren't aware it was fake until now. Tell them you would like to return the item to the seller for full refund of shipping and item cost.

Seller cant' sell under the "cartier" brand if it's not authentic.
Seems to me since the mistake was on your part, you're SOL.

You could tried re selling it if you don't like it?
^I disagree, it's not their fault it was fake. Seller can't sell under the name if it's not authentic.

Please file a report for SNAD with Ebay, yes it hurts that you left +FB but let them know you weren't aware it was fake until now. Tell them you would like to return the item to the seller for full refund of shipping and item cost.

Seller cant' sell under the "cartier" brand if it's not authentic.

TY for your help:heart:

Designer inspired items ARE allowed. What the OP bought was a counterfeit and that is NOT allowed.

I am sure someone will be along to explain the Ebay Buyer Protection Program

The seller is responsible because knowingly or not they listed a counterfeit item. When I have listed LV I have always included an authentication from Caroldiva even though I may have purchased it directly from LV. IMO it was worth the $ in the overall.

Good luck

The seller wasn't allowed to sell "Cartier Inspired" in the first place. Cartier is a registered trademark of Cartier International. So selling anything bearing "Cartier" name or logo weren't made by Cartier is against law and violation of eBay rule. I think the "LOVE" logo is also a registered trademark.
I would call eBay now and file a claim.

Incorrect. As stated above, if the designer name was mentioned then it needs to be authentic.

Also, if OP was to re-sell, not only is this against policy, she'd be doing to someone else what her seller did to her. Not nice.

Def open a SNAD OP.

Totally wrong. Ebay doesn't allow copyright infringement, no matter what nice label is put on it. And you should be careful about given advice that is WRONG - OP could be in trouble for trying to sell a fake, even one that she bought. OP - you will be fully refunded if you follow the process for reporting the fake to ebay. There are lots of resources on this board. File the SNAD right away!!

Thanks to the fifty people that felt they needed to point out I was wrong.
I never stated to resell on ebay. There are plenty of other places to sell.

However it is partially the OP's fault for not reading everything.

^I respectfully disagree. If SELLER had abide by the TOS for selling an item they would have never listed an item that was "inspired" if it was not authentic. Obviously many don't know, or do know and hope that the buyer doesn't.

^I respectfully disagree. If SELLER had abide by the TOS for selling an item they would have never listed an item that was "inspired" if it was not authentic. Obviously many don't know, or do know and hope that the buyer doesn't.

Although that is true, there are plenty of people who do sell fakes.
When someone buys a pre-loved bag on ebay, don't they go through the process (reading description, checking feedback, authenticating here, etc.) and make sure they are getting the real deal? At least this seller made a note that it was "inspired" instead of not saying anything at all.

Although that is true, there are plenty of people who do sell fakes.
When someone buys a pre-loved bag on ebay, don't they go through the process (reading description, checking feedback, authenticating here, etc.) and make sure they are getting the real deal? At least this seller made a note that it was "inspired" instead of not saying anything at all.
You are correct about the following:
-Tons of fakes are sold
-Tons of legit items are sold

Sometimes it's hard to know one from the other, but ANY seller should not sell an item unless they know (bought it themselves) and have proof it's legit and authentic if they are going to sell it under that title.

Seller could have sold the item under a different listing (or title) but if it does say "Cartier" on the item then it's just as illegal as the people who sell fake branded bags on the streets. You can't use the name of the manufacturer unless you ARE them. That's a factual thing that's aside from any Ebay rules.

The seller never should have been allowed to list it and you should have read the ENTIRE description.

I can't imagine Cartier selling plated anything. That bracelet in solid gold retails for $4,300. Good rule of thumb ( yes, there may be exceptions) is if it is too good to be true it probably should either be passed on or researched within an inch of it's life.

While yours was a mistake, theirs was a crime. So file a SNAD.

How was the purchase funded? Hopefully you used a credit card.