"Inspired by" Mulberry... or "copies"?

Unless the bag has 'Mulberry' tag or sold as 'Mulberry' it's not fake, just a copy (or inspired by) imo. M&S or any high street shops has many of them. I guess it's up to the person whether buy it or not - some people have genuinely no idea where the original design came from, I guess!

Once it shows brand name though, then it's FAKE which I despise in any shape or material or colour or size!!

Worst is of course the people who sell fakes as genuine on evil_bay (or people buy them knowingly).

I completely agree, Ratrat. As long as they are not being sold as Mulberry they are not "fake".
That's probably the legal answer, too.

However, some copies (like Phoebe's sister, above), seem to be a total rip-off of a Mulberry design. Some are even closer - exactly the same design but without the Mulberry tag (or materials, obviously).

I've seen many "Alexas" like this around london... mostly in plastic, and in colours Mulberry never made, and the wrong sizes, but with all the design features (including the postman's lock). These copies are getting very close to being fakes, I think.

Tricky one!

This isnt really any different to walking into a high street clothes shop like Zara and seeing *copies* of everything in the latest edition of Vogue. At the moment there are so many Celine *inspired* outfits its fab !

Very interesting. I guess you're all correct.

Is there no such as thing as "copywright" for bag designs? I mean, is a bag EXACTLY like a Mulberry Alexa bag, but withou the Mulberry tag - i.e. not being sold as "real" Mulberry - "inspired by"? To me, inspired by suggests that a few details are changed, at least... Zara bags are reminiscent of other designers, but I haven't seen one that looks like an exact copy.

I saw these at a high end-ish department store chain here in Finland. They are pleather and hideous imho! I am fine with inspired by, but not when it looks like these. Though the positive is these would never pass for real Mulberry.. I agree with rattie though, selling fakes as the real thing is far worse than cheap inspired by bags!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByPurseForum1383061862.010382.jpg
    ImageUploadedByPurseForum1383061862.010382.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 713
Zara next river island topshop all do inspired by....no problem with those as many people can't afford mulberry prices but have good taste

I totally agree with this. I recently bought some studded flats from River Island that are clearly based off Louboutin's studded pigalle flat. I like the look but I'm not prepared to pay CL prices for what I see as a seasonal look, so it works out perfectly for me.

If they're actually claiming fakes as real, that's totally different.

I totally agree with this. I recently bought some studded flats from River Island that are clearly based off Louboutin's studded pigalle flat. I like the look but I'm not prepared to pay CL prices for what I see as a seasonal look, so it works out perfectly for me.

If they're actually claiming fakes as real, that's totally different.
Me three xxx

Interesting topic!
I must confess that i own three designer inspired bags (Celine luggage tote, balenciaga and birkin) - all very similar to the original.. Perhaps too similar? And Im not really proud of buying them, but I love them all the same and I guess that's what counts..
It's hard to determine when the bag designers go too far with their inspired designs....

Do any of you own a designer inspired bag?

I own an inspired Birkin, but no where on the label or bag itself does it claim it is a Birkin. I would say they are fakes when they have the designer label on them and claim to be the bag. If the bag looks similar i think it is fine!

Very interesting. I guess you're all correct.

Is there no such as thing as "copywright" for bag designs? I mean, is a bag EXACTLY like a Mulberry Alexa bag, but withou the Mulberry tag - i.e. not being sold as "real" Mulberry - "inspired by"? To me, inspired by suggests that a few details are changed, at least... Zara bags are reminiscent of other designers, but I haven't seen one that looks like an exact copy.

Apparently there are very strict copyright laws, a bag can be "inspired by" but not exactly the same - actual measurements and proportions have to differ by a certain percentage (I have a friend who works for a high-end fashion house which is currently branching out into handbag production so we've had this conversation).

These laws don't seem to extend to the fashion world and I'm loving the fact I can pick up the Celine look from Zara, although when you put the two garments together the difference will usually be fairly obvious.

The high street always follows where designers lead and bags are no different. The vast majority of people cant't afford designer bags, or can afford them but think the prices are obscene and prefer to buy decent-quality high street bags without the designer cachet.

The fake market is completely separate. It's criminal - having said that, a friend of mine has several Bayswaters, some of which are fakes from China, and I honestly can't tell which is which. Had I been in China with her, i would have found these bags hard to turn down at £100 a pop, so I'm not going to be the first to throw stones! :lol: