Inking melting off - yikes!

Amazona

O.G.
Mar 31, 2013
Hi everyone,
I bought a preloved Olive Ledbury last spring. I treated it with Collonil Waterstop spray and it did a whole lotta damage - the inking on the handles is melting off and has stained the handles badly. :cry:
Has anyone else had this problem on an older bag and how did Mulberry react to it? Do they offer any help? What about Collonil, do they take any responsibility for the damage their products have done?
I'm really crushed over this.

Hello! I have never heard of colonil damaging bags.... Mine come out of it looking gorgeous! Could it have come into contact with anything else? I know some inking does go sticky occasionally; but nothing like you describe! Maybe a photo may give someone some ideas? Possibly a search through the threads see if anyone else has had this?

Hello! I have never heard of colonil damaging bags.... Mine come out of it looking gorgeous! Could it have come into contact with anything else? I know some inking does go sticky occasionally; but nothing like you describe! Maybe a photo may give someone some ideas? Possibly a search through the threads see if anyone else has had this?

I didn't find a thread describing similar problems. Hence this thread.
The inking on the handles is soft. Like Play-Doh after I've carried it for a while. It starts as soft and ends up reminding pudding. :weird:

I didn't find a thread describing similar problems. Hence this thread.
The inking on the handles is soft. Like Play-Doh after I've carried it for a while. It starts as soft and ends up reminding pudding. :weird:
Ooooooh; not sure that's the collonil then- most likely just the inking. I have heard of this happening with older bags. One of the more experienced ladies will know more though; hopefully they will be along soon to offer some advice :smile:

Ooooooh; not sure that's the collonil then- most likely just the inking. I have heard of this happening with older bags. One of the more experienced ladies will know more though; hopefully they will be along soon to offer some advice :smile:

This started happening only after I used Collonil. So it's most likely the culprit...let's hope some of our veteran Mulberry ladies come along soon!

Oh, dear. Sorry this happened. :sad:

I don't own old-school mulb bags. Collonil works fine for my newer nvt, goat, calf & small classic grain.
Also use on other brands, calf & cowhide. No issues.

I have read of problems with collonil on darwin. Other older mulb bags.
Spotted the leather, I believe. Think saw these posts in reference library--either leather or care/maintenance threads.
Wish could help more.

So, edge sealant turned squashy on ledbury--after you applied collonil waterstop spray?
News to me. Hope someone chimes in.
Important info. for forum.

Best luck. :smile:

All my bags are oldies and have never reacted to Collonil . I have used lashings of it on them all over the years with no ill effects .
For some reason some bags do have a sticky problem but none of mine have . If I'm right I seem to remember that the stickiness has happened when the bags are stored in their dust bags ? But I might be wrong on that . I keep mine out of their dust bags and in a glass fronted cabinet and the air can get to them .
I would contact Mulberry repairs for their advise

Eta - if you put ' Sticky Inking' into the search field there are quite a few threads on it .

Last edited:
Older bags do sometimes have an issue with inking going sticky - you could have it replaced by Mulberry, but I don't know what they could do about the staining on the handles ... I've never heard of Collonil ever causing this in the past, tbh ...

I had an oak Ledbury that had sticky inking. Back then, I got the impression that was faulty inking - there was a batch of bags that all had that issue. I don't think it was caused by Collonil.
It was so sticky that it transferred onto one of my tops while using the bag.

I sent my bag in for repair and it couldn't be repaired, so I got to spend the money on a different bag instead.

I bought a lovely Roxy from Sian at NPN - it was perfect when I received it & was also fine after being treated with Collonil. Used it a few times with no problems then all of a sudden the dust bag started sticking to the inking. Very strange & not sure what had caused it. It was hot that summer but I hadn't left the bag in direct sunshine other than when I was carrying it.
Anyway, I sent it for Mulberry for a quote for re inking & when they sent it back they'd done it free of charge. Not sure why as it was well out of warranty. Perhaps I just got lucky.
Good tip Slowhand re being stored in dust bags - that may have been the cause then.
Hope you manage to get it sorted Amazona - I would definitely contact mulberry for their advice. Let us know what Mulberry say xx

I was going to post about this problem today, as few days ago the same problem happened to my Darwin Oak Rosemary.

I tried to take it out of its dustbag and it was stuck - the sides of the bag got stuck to the dustbag! The handles were down resting on the sides, I tried to lift one and it left a horrible mark on the leather - like the colour was taken off. :nogood:

I contacted CS last Friday and today it went to Shepton Mallet for "assessment".

The bag looks ruined and I was really gutted to see those horrible marks plus residue of inking all over. I knew the inking got like chewing gum few months ago, but I didn't do anything about it.

Imagine it could have potentially ruined many other bags if it hadn't been in its dustbag! :nono:

Here are the photos of the damage.

Attachments

• IMG_1448_resize.jpg
    IMG_1448_resize.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 556
  • IMG_1442_resize.jpg
    IMG_1442_resize.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_1454_resize.jpg
    IMG_1454_resize.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 552
Oh my life!! I try to keep my SBS and Bayswater handles upright in storage, but it's not possible with Mabel etc ... I wonder if it's an age thing - Shian sometimes mentions sticky inking on some of the Darwin bags in the Nest. I don't know if (or think) it's avoidable but if it is, we need to know the secret! ;)

Hi everyone,
I bought a preloved Olive Ledbury last spring. I treated it with Collonil Waterstop spray and it did a whole lotta damage - the inking on the handles is melting off and has stained the handles badly. :cry:
Has anyone else had this problem on an older bag and how did Mulberry react to it? Do they offer any help? What about Collonil, do they take any responsibility for the damage their products have done?
I'm really crushed over this.
Any update on the inking problem ?

I was going to post about this problem today, as few days ago the same problem happened to my Darwin Oak Rosemary.

I tried to take it out of its dustbag and it was stuck - the sides of the bag got stuck to the dustbag! The handles were down resting on the sides, I tried to lift one and it left a horrible mark on the leather - like the colour was taken off. :nogood:

I contacted CS last Friday and today it went to Shepton Mallet for "assessment".

The bag looks ruined and I was really gutted to see those horrible marks plus residue of inking all over. I knew the inking got like chewing gum few months ago, but I didn't do anything about it.

Imagine it could have potentially ruined many other bags if it hadn't been in its dustbag! :nono:

Here are the photos of the damage.
Do update us on their response please . That's a lot of damage :sad: