Ink Stains Are My Bane

indiaink

Authenticator
O.G.
May 3, 2007
I made an excellent deal on a practically brand-new Nero Cervo Hobo. The only problem for me? There were ink stains on the inside zippered pocket. Oh, you say, who cares? Nobody will ever see them...

AH! But I would! They would eat at me, like poison. Of all the things that bother me, a 'loose pen' in a handbag is Number One.

Being a layman leather worker (as many of you know, I have a great fondness and minor ability for working with leather bits and pieces) I know that getting ink out of leather is nigh impossible. Don't care what people write about 'alcohol' and 'baby wipes' and 'hairspray'. Doesn't work, 99% of the time.

So the next option? Cover it. On suede? Really? Fabric paint! Aha! Fabric paint, because fabric paint is designed to move and give a little and not crack over time.

Enter: Plaid paints and their partnership with Martha Stewart and we have the most amazing acrylic multi-surface paint ever. Ever. I've also been working with acrylic paint for 30+ years, so I know. It's amazing.

Here's the ink stain - and there was also a stain on the opposite side, but I didn't see that until I started my repair work, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Attachments

• Dsc01634.jpg
    Dsc01634.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 526
And here we have the repair ... using Martha Stewart Crafts Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Craft Paint in Putty. Perfect match. Absolutely stone cold perfect.

After the paint dried, I used a 3M sanding sponge to 'rough up' the paint a bit, blend it in more with the suede surface.

Photo one is one side of the pocket (and you can see the corner of the sanding sponge I used, on the right), second photo is the other side (the one with the most ink stains). Sanding sponge is 150 grit.

Attachments

• DSC01638.JPG
    DSC01638.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 536
  • DSC01639.JPG
    DSC01639.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 514
  • DSC01640.JPG
    DSC01640.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 516
  • DSC01641.JPG
    DSC01641.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 526
Last edited:
the repair looks amazing. i agree that ink is a deal breaker so congratulations of a remarkable job.

how does it feel? is there any danger of the paint transferring to your slg's?

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing this- I am an avid DIYer except on my BVs.
You're welcome! I was up for this challenge because it was on an inside pocket. That gave me a bit of freedom. If the ink stains had been anywhere else, I would have passed.

the repair looks amazing. i agree that ink is a deal breaker so congratulations of a remarkable job.

How does it feel? is there any danger of the paint transferring to your slgs?
Thank you! It feels a tiny, tiny bit more stiff; nothing that you'd notice unless you were manipulating it, and how often do we do that? :biggrin: Absolutely ZERO danger of the paint transferring. It is acrylic paint, and it's not going anywhere (I mean - I did have to sand it to take it down a notch, so that ought to tell you something.)

Wow...amazing. Thank you for sharing this and I did not know you are great with leather :smile: Another thing to learn from this forum...

Congrats on your new Cervo Hobo. I know how much you love the style...

Wow...amazing. Thank you for sharing this and I did not know you are great with leather :smile: Another thing to learn from this forum...

Congrats on your new Cervo Hobo. I know how much you love the style...
Thank you! I had a Nero CH a while ago, and let it go, but then I realized I needed to have a black bag for the winter. Needed. I was doing a lot of rebound shopping/returning until I figured out that I needed a Nero Cervo Hobo. :biggrin:

Thank you! I had a Nero CH a while ago, and let it go, but then I realized I needed to have a black bag for the winter. Needed. I was doing a lot of rebound shopping/returning until I figured out that I needed a Nero Cervo Hobo. :biggrin:

Haha..I really hear your word NEEDED :smile: Good idea for Winter. You inspired me to take my Cigar Hobo for winter too. I haven't taken her out for anything since I got it :cool:

India I love you!
After I move off to AC Moore to buy paint to cover a very dirty spot on my lining
will let you know how it turns out
but now you are letting bad sellers know how to cover the stains too.
*sigh* why does life always have an upside and a downside

WOW India, you are the ultimate BVette DIYer. Ink drives me nuts, too. My pens are in pouches and when I fly, the pouch goes into a zip lock bag.

Martha's paints are fab. I bought 3 colors last week to restore my vintage "Run with the Big Dogs" license plate frame. That frame graced 2 of my cars long since retired. I couldn't part with my Big Dogs memorabilia because it was purchased for our long missed Rhodesian Ridgeback Kiwi who loved being a passenger in our dog cars - the Grand Cherokee and the RX 300.

Thanks to Martha's paints I'm trying to restore it to its full glory so it will be worthy of accessorizing the bimmer. I'm planning to repaint next weekend. I'll post before and after pix. I plan to work on it during the Super Bowl. I watch the commercials and don't care much for football. Sorry '49ers fans.