Inherited jewelry -- what to do with it?

Wildflower

O.G.
Apr 23, 2006
I've been kicking this around for over a year and decided to ask some opinions from other jewelry lovers. :smile:

After my mother's passing, I took possession of all her jewelry. My mother was a maniac for jewelry and rarely thought twice about splurging on anything. For awhile now, I've been splitting it all up and gave some to my daughter, some to my brother's wife, some to my mother's sister. I'm saving the remaining majority of it for my daughter when she turns 21 or graduates from college or gets married or whatever. (She had first pick on everything.)

I'm down to two items that I don't know what I should do with. These items were sentimental to my mother. One is a gold charm bracelet that is loaded with charms and extremely heavy. Even my mother quit wearing it because it was too heavy. I will never wear it -- and nobody else was interested in it either. Same goes for the other item -- a unique diamond ring.

These items meant a LOT to my mother. I do not care for them -- not my taste at all and I have so many more things from her that I DO love.

I can hold onto them and they'll be passed on one day to my daughter who can do whatever she wants with them at that time. Or, I can sell them now and buy some things I would much rather have. I tend to lean towards the latter idea... however, my daughter thinks it would be a tragedy to sell sentimental items and if they weren't valuable, I would keep them no question.

So what is your opinion on a situation like this? Sell the sentimental pieces? Or keep them in a safety deposit box until one day they go to my daughter and let her decide what to do with them?

Keep them and pass them on, i'm sure even if you dont wear them they still hold memories of your mom. I wouldnt risk selling them or melting them down and regretting it down the road.

Maybe you could reset the diamonds or reuse the materials to make them into something you would love? That way you'd still have the sentiment and the style could be to your taste...

I feel like it depends on the situation/item when it comes down to whether it's kosher to sell or redesign inherited jewelry or not. In this situation, I'd say keep them and pass them down. They were two of your mother's most treasured possessions, so having them and keeping them as they are is important to keeping her legacy intact. I say this because it sounds like they're special to the family not because they're valuable, but because they were valuable to her and uniquely hers. Does that make sense?

Someone mentioned resetting the diamond from the ring - if a jeweler is able to remove the diamond without damaging the integrity of the ring setting (so that down the road, another diamond could take its place), then I'd say that's fine. I did that with a necklace I inherited from my grandmother - I kept the setting the diamond was in, but used the center stone for something else. I can always put it back or replace it with another diamond, and the family value will still be there.

As far as no one wanting it, someday someone will! Wouldn't it be sweet if your granddaughter wore it all the time when she grew up? Aww!

Please don't sell them. The gold charm bracelet loaded with charms is the story of your mother's life and each charm probably represented a wonderful time in her life. It is an honor to have such a beautiful piece of your mother's jewelry.

Their resale value will be a lot less than you might hope for, to start with. This is just how it goes with most vintage jewelry in the midrange. If the remembrance is what your daughter would most prize, definitely keep it. If $1,000 (for example) is what your daughter would really rather have down the road, then that's a legit consideration.

If I were conflicted about this, I would put it aside and think about it and revisit this in five years. There's no burning fire to sell it now, I gather. Your thoughts and your daughter's needs can definitely change.

however, my daughter thinks it would be a tragedy to sell sentimental items and if they weren't valuable, I would keep them no question.

So what is your opinion on a situation like this? Sell the sentimental pieces? Or keep them in a safety deposit box until one day they go to my daughter and let her decide what to do with them?

I think this is a very good reason to keep them for your daughter.

I would keep them and pass them along. My grandmother is big into passing things down to us from her childhood on occasion. I have a ruby ring that she got for her 16th birthday and a charm bracelet that she got on her 15th birday. I also have a ring and earring set that she had made at some point in her life and passed onto me for my wedding. The ruby ring I never wear and the charm bracelet gets worn occasionally but I will never get rid of them. The ring and earring set I am contemplating selling the earrings because it isn't as sentimental as the other stuff. If it was important to someone, then it should be important enough for you to pass on if it is not something you would wear.

You didn't mention your daughter's age. She may feel one way at 16 and very differently at 23.

Keeping sentimental pieces is lovely, but if there's a lot of stuff, it's fine to be selective about what gets kept as is--if it can take a different form for more benefit or pleasure to the descendants (sold or redesigned), this is certainly done, and okay.