Info on Alana please?

May 7, 2007
I know I shouldn't, but I can't stop thinking about getting an Emmy or Alana!

I appreciate that we've discussed that the Emmy is boxy but I just can't get it out of my head.

The Alana is smaller isn't it and more rounded?

What are the pros and cons of the Alana vs Emmy please?

Comparison photos from people that have both would be fab.

Ali, I had an Emmy and, while beautiful, she was definitely boxy and a faff to get in/out of. I never saw an Alana IRL but I think they are more barrel-shaped.

Btw, what happened to not buying anything else except red Mabel??

I know, I just love the design. However, I've just looked at some on eBay and I didn't realise that they had those two 'postman locks' on the sides at the top too! That seems like a faff!

Its just that everytime I see one, I want one!

I know - I should just hold out of Red Mabel right?

^^You should.

Emmy is a good looking bag but heavy and the two straps are a faff.

I had an Alana & it was a lovely little bag but I know the locks either end would drive you mad. It also has a tendency to look boxy until it smooshes down. I did find the flap over fastening a pain.

They wouldn't be your kind of bags, honest.
Mabel looks great on you & we will find you a red one.

Yes Ali I agree, don't do it, wait for your red mabel!!

I had an alana, which was barrel shaped. It was comfy to carry though. I discovered I needed to carry a little bit more than it would comfortably hold, so I was squishing stuff in all the time. Also I realised I needed a bag which could also be hand held whereas this is a shoulder bag. And the flap closure annoyed me, I always felt my stuff might all fall out whenever I opened the bag :wtf: but actually it didn't, just felt like it would. Got favourable comments though!

Don't know about emmy but I bet she's heavy :Push:

Oh, Ali, noooooooo! I can see why you're seduced by the Emmy & Alana as they're gorgeous looking bags and look great when they're being carried. But, honestly, I'm so relieved to have sold mine. It's SO heavy, awkward to carry and difficult to use. I put up with that because I loved looking at it but that's not enough. You'll never use it. It's heavier than the Roxanne, I think :faint:

Wait for your Mabel :yes:

I agree with all the comments. I have an Alana and lusted for one for ages, eventually finding a second hand "unused" one... Unused being the operative word!

Lovely styling, beautiful craftmanship but what a palaver! Difficult to get in and out of , doesn't hang right on your shoulder, fiddly locks, loses it boxy shape when overfilled (becomes barrel-shaped) and its structure as the leather softens.

If you want a bag to admire and the kudos of have an iconic Mulberry - buy one. Otherwise just admire it from a distance. Never used my yet! (Lovely though it is to look at!).

PS I do understand the lusting but a Mabel IMO is probably a better choice.

i have both and i think they are gorgeous bags....however, Emmy is extremely heavy and as everyone else said - a pain in the butt to get in and out of, however it is one of my fav bags - the darwin leather is just perfect with the various studs locks and the double straps - has a very individual biker kinda look. Have not had Alana for long but it is perfect size and shape if Emmy is a tad to big and boxy for you...but is a bit of a pain to get in and out.
I think you should wait out for red mabel - i keep seeing the same lady with red mabel on my local high street ( i think she must think i fancy her) .........its so lovely in that colour. I have three and they are pleasure to carry and look at - as numnut says - Emmy/Alana are great to look at but not so practical
. :tpfrox:

IMG_0299.jpgIMG_0301.jpgIMG_0313.jpg

Emmie v Alana

The two end pockets on the Emmie make all the difference. I spent a long time debating which to buy when they were launched. I plumped for Alana, then promptly decided I should have bought the Emmie. I bought the chocolate one and loved it so much that when there was an offer on the web site I bought the black one. They work for me. Traditional darwin leather classic Mulberry. The Alana is too small and a faff to get into. I'm going to sell mine soon. The two handles on the Emmie are better than the single handle on the Alana too. I can do more photos if you like?