Influencers and Hermes

This is kind of sad...but I've seen people in real life who act like her too. One time I was at FSH and overheard this girl who lecturing and nagging her SO saying stuff like 'stop acting like you're bored, be charming when the SA come over. Stop checking on your phone! Tell her you're buying me a birthday present!" And then she got the 'no bag' answer so she blamed her SO that he wasn't charming enough that's why the SA wouldn't offer her any bag. :-s

This is kind of sad...but I've seen people in real life who act like her too. One time I was at FSH and overheard this girl who lecturing and nagging her SO saying stuff like 'stop acting like you're bored, be charming when the SA come over. Stop checking on your phone! Tell her you're buying me a birthday present!" And then she got the 'no bag' answer so she blamed her SO that he wasn't charming enough that's why the SA wouldn't offer her any bag. :-s
YouTubers tend to be quite special :thinking: I will leave it at that. :eek:

YouTubers tend to be quite special :thinking: I will leave it at that. :eek:
And then they'll be people who would take the nonsense advice from influencers/youtuber to go shopping at H thinking it's the official playbook to B/K/C...so sad. I have a pretty decent relationship with my SA, whenever I get offered something popular or hard to get, I'd get some people telling me that 'oh you didn't do x,y, or z? You're just extra lucky then..." :facepalm:

And then they'll be people who would take the nonsense advice from influencers/youtuber to go shopping at H thinking it's the official playbook to B/K/C...so sad. I have a pretty decent relationship with my SA, whenever I get offered something popular or hard to get, I'd get some people telling me that 'oh you didn't do x,y, or z? You're just extra lucky then..." :facepalm:
Believe it or not, there are some who actually believe in YouTubers’ words like some holy book.
So if you get an offer through other means, to them, it will be:
1. You just struck jackpot lottery with that luck.
2. You were offered bags nobody wanted (got that before in social media when I called out the stupid journey crap. Yeah right, nobody wants a bubblegum pink aka rose confetti birkin. Last I heard, they were popular but I just hate pink).
3. Don’t talk about the rich because we are mere mortals (Um, news flash - that’s the bulk of Hermes long term clientele and actually whom Hermes desire for patronage. Heck even the other luxury houses love the wealthy…luxury is things decadent but not necessary ).

I love both Bolides and Plumes in part because they really are under the radar. The Bolide shape is also used by so many other brands and most people can’t tell the difference. The plume sadly I don’t see many of in the wild and they seem to be gradually vanishing from the lineup of bags Hermes makes each year. I wonder if it’s just that the shape isn’t currently popular or if it’s more that it’s not recognizably Hermes to most people so less people ask for it in the stores.
The Bolide was my first love at Hermes. I saw a beautiful Rouge Garrance 37 (when it was called a 37) in a display window. It was love at first sight. I didn't get that one, but it began an obsession with the brand. I ended up getting a black 37 as my first Hermes bag.

Back to 'influencers'...
I also find it a sad reflection of our times that 'some' influencers like POF are so desperate to portray a certain wealthy devil may care luxury consumer life-style that they need to keep buying then flipping to fund the next 'unboxing' the next 'reveal'.
I suspect that the reason POF seemingly changes her opinion of her purchases and moves them on swiftly after purchase with minimum or no mark-up is actually in order to pay her CC bill and fund her next purchase.
I have only ever watched her two vids that were spoken of at length on this forum (the most recent one was mainly on fast forward then I gave up half way through...It wasn't even entertaining or informative it was just like listening to a crazy woman ranting on the subway).
The newer influencer culture in my perception is based primarily on creating a sense of "look at me! look at my fabulous life!dont you wish you could be like me???"-they want to create envy in their viewers as opposed to admiration.
The original concept of an 'influencer' is someone with style or taste someone who innovates and discovers someone with a viewpoint and a soupçon of originality (Susie Bubble was one of the original influencers as was my friend Maison magda).
I think its unhealthy and making many young women dissatisfied with their lot or worse get into serious debt.
Bear in mind my viewpoint is as an older woman with 40 years studying and working in fashion.
possibly considered an 'out of touch' or unpopular viewpoint by some.
I don't disagree with you on this. There was one that I was following when she created her IG first. To be at influencer level she bought chanel every week and hermes. I felt bombarded with her posts and all of them say its so beautiful. Or it's an investment. But all of them are also the same bags that other influencers have. There was no styling or anything new. It was just plain spending.

I don't disagree with you on this. There was one that I was following when she created her IG first. To be at influencer level she bought chanel every week and hermes. I felt bombarded with her posts and all of them say its so beautiful. Or it's an investment. But all of them are also the same bags that other influencers have. There was no styling or anything new. It was just plain spending.
exactly!
its a form of 'flexing'.
My DH often unearths youtube videos about handbag collections that he thinks I'll enjoy.
Yesterday I half watched one whilst on Purse Forum and tbh I got really bored as every bag was so predictable Dior Book Tote/Lady Dior/Saddle Bag.
Chanel/boy/ classic flap/Wallet on chain..etc.
Fendi /Peek a boo,/Fendi First.
And so it went on through Prada, Loewe,BV, Saint Laurent-all the 'must have ' instantly recognisable bags.
Coming to Hermes where of course she had a couple of Birkins, (30 and 25) Kelly's 25 and mini I think and I cant remember if she had a constance or not because every choice from every brand was so predictable and said nothing about her taste or style just that she brought the most recognisable designs from each brand.
I get bored seeing endless unboxings of the same bag.

To add onto the above, the over-saturation and overexposure of certain jewelries and bags in social media and irl has really turned me off those items or those luxury brands. It’s not that I can’t appreciate the design or workmanship, but I want something not as recognizable and low key. Some items out there have become very basic and for some that’s ok but not for me. If I’m going to spend to treat myself to something special I don’t want another speedy or neverfull or (and please don’t take offense - just my opinion) plain vintage mop or onyx bracelet or pendant type items.

I don’t think a lot of these influencers buy because they truly appreciate the brand but merely to show off and gain followers and/or try to get sponsors. There seems to be some psychological need to achieve some kind of validation due to some insecurities.
These influencers are always after the next thing. They never seem to be happy with what they have. They change their minds so often it makes your head spin.

There are influencers who appear to unbox a Birkin or Kelly or Constance every month. There’s one influencer who went crazy over jewelry this past year. She’s been on a buying binge but then selling a lot too. I saw another one recently post she doesn’t want some of her canvas bags anymore so she’s selling them. This after spending what seems like at least a half mil on luxury goods last year and a major shopping spree at a few brands. The overconsumption and constant chasing and inability to appreciate what one has is a turn off.

The sm posts are all very similar. Here’s a gold Birkin siting on a coffee table or against the backdrop of a couch with an Avalon blanket or under a Christmas tree or at a Parisian cafe or maybe even in an Hermes boutique. Or maybe if the influencer has multiple bags - lining them up to show colors or laying them in a pattern. I used to find myself oohing or aahing at posts of certain luxury bags or jewelry particularly those with Hermes and vca or cartier but now I’ve seen so many and because the styling is so similar my eyes glaze over. Lately I’ve been telling ig to stop showing me arm stack of cartier love, juc and vca bangles - even full pave. Styling is mundane and repetitive. Boring.

These days I am finding myself looking at other jewelry designers or not as popular designs with certain jewelry designers. I’m also finding myself shopping for H items that are low key - the quirky looking blanket which doesn’t show any reference to H or men’s scarves or a unique belt buckle.

What’s been surprising to me is the age of many influencers and luxury buyers generally. They seem to be getting younger and younger. I read recently that the average age of luxury buyers may be or soon be as young as 15. I’m seeing more teens on sm wearing vintage bracelets or cartier love or juc bangles. Crazy.

To add onto the above, the over-saturation and overexposure of certain jewelries and bags in social media and irl has really turned me off those items or those luxury brands. It’s not that I can’t appreciate the design or workmanship, but I want something not as recognizable and low key. Some items out there have become very basic and for some that’s ok but not for me. If I’m going to spend to treat myself to something special I don’t want another speedy or neverfull or (and please don’t take offense - just my opinion) plain vintage mop or onyx bracelet or pendant type items.

I don’t think a lot of these influencers buy because they truly appreciate the brand but merely to show off and gain followers and/or try to get sponsors. There seems to be some psychological need to achieve some kind of validation due to some insecurities.
These influencers are always after the next thing. They never seem to be happy with what they have. They change their minds so often it makes your head spin.

There are influencers who appear to unbox a Birkin or Kelly or Constance every month. There’s one influencer who went crazy over jewelry this past year. She’s been on a buying binge but then selling a lot too. I saw another one recently post she doesn’t want some of her canvas bags anymore so she’s selling them. This after spending what seems like at least a half mil on luxury goods last year and a major shopping spree at a few brands. The overconsumption and constant chasing and inability to appreciate what one has is a turn off.

The sm posts are all very similar. Here’s a gold Birkin siting on a coffee table or against the backdrop of a couch with an Avalon blanket or under a Christmas tree or at a Parisian cafe or maybe even in an Hermes boutique. Or maybe if the influencer has multiple bags - lining them up to show colors or laying them in a pattern. I used to find myself oohing or aahing at posts of certain luxury bags or jewelry particularly those with Hermes and vca or cartier but now I’ve seen so many and because the styling is so similar my eyes glaze over. Lately I’ve been telling ig to stop showing me arm stack of cartier love, juc and vca bangles - even full pave. Styling is mundane and repetitive. Boring.

These days I am finding myself looking at other jewelry designers or not as popular designs with certain jewelry designers. I’m also finding myself shopping for H items that are low key - the quirky looking blanket which doesn’t show any reference to H or men’s scarves or a unique belt buckle.

What’s been surprising to me is the age of many influencers and luxury buyers generally. They seem to be getting younger and younger. I read recently that the average age of luxury buyers may be or soon be as young as 15. I’m seeing more teens on sm wearing vintage bracelets or cartier love or juc bangles. Crazy.
Yes, that's why I only watch Superdacob. And ok I 'll admit also sometimes Haya Glamazon ( the dragging stories)and Fabulous Irene ( when she says with a serious face "that looks cheap" :biggrin::lol:). Not because I buy what they recommend.

It was the same way with beauty gurus back in the day. If they make a channel about luxury goods, they need content of luxury goods. Wouldn’t get many views if they were talking about the same bag in ten videos. It is what it is and I see influencers more as a “magazine”
I am the same: I see influences as magazines. Problem is every magazine is selling the same things. No vision, no inspiring trends. Just more minis. In Pinks. And pale Blues. And pale greens…:panic:

exactly!
its a form of 'flexing'.
My DH often unearths youtube videos about handbag collections that he thinks I'll enjoy.
Yesterday I half watched one whilst on Purse Forum and tbh I got really bored as every bag was so predictable Dior Book Tote/Lady Dior/Saddle Bag.
Chanel/boy/ classic flap/Wallet on chain..etc.
Fendi /Peek a boo,/Fendi First.
And so it went on through Prada, Loewe,BV, Saint Laurent-all the 'must have ' instantly recognisable bags.
Coming to Hermes where of course she had a couple of Birkins, (30 and 25) Kelly's 25 and mini I think and I cant remember if she had a constance or not because every choice from every brand was so predictable and said nothing about her taste or style just that she brought the most recognisable designs from each brand.
I get bored seeing endless unboxings of the same bag.
Yup. The flexing. It was like every week the post was "come shopping with me at chanel 22s" or whatever that season is. And it's the same flap in a different colour as her last purchase. I'm all for collecting nice stuff (hello Taurus in Jupiter haha) however, when is it ever enough? And the message it sends to younger generations too. Like is it OK to shop every week for likes? Likes don't convert to cash immediately unless you're actually getting major sponsorships.