Influencers and Hermes

I believe Instagram and these influencers are having a tremendous effect on the demand for Hermes, the popularity of the smaller bag craze, pink etc. Hermes had an INCREDIBLE quarter and is not feeling any of the economic downturn that the rest of retail is experiencing. RTW sales were up over 36% from last year! I mean, that is insane. I can guarantee that a lot of brand new with tags RTW on sale in FB and IG is being bought simply to up someone’s pre-spend for these newer Hermes fans. How else do these young people fund their purchases?

BTW, I cannot speak intelligently about influencers because I am old and only follow friends, family and some TPF friends on insta. But when I see that awesome looking Jaune Ambre Birkin on the Real Housewives of BH, I want one too.

9742BC11-9596-4EC5-99E6-518E9022707E.png

Last edited:
BTW, I cannot speak intelligently about influencers because I am old and only follow friends, family and some TPF friends on insta. But when I see that awesome looking Jaune Ambre Birkin on the Real Housewives of BH, I want one too.
Agree, Hermes is definitely doing all things quite right with those numbers.

The Kelly Sutton had tonight, too. I loved the color. I definitely would love one like hers though in a smaller size. On that note of RHOB and influencers, without Michael Coste, Rinna would not have been offered that black mini Kelly.

The example that you mentioned in your comment is an actress, not a "lesser known" influencer.
So, Hermes already can attract attention from younger crowd using younger celebrities or famous people, but not quite the "lesser known" influencers...
I think that was the point I tried to make in my previous post.
I think it was already acknowledged in the previous posts by other users that the age of celebs and famous people are already over, and that it's influencers and social media driving a lot of businesses now. And, as also acknowledged by other posters, Hermes is not above this. They are a business and will use whatever can benefit them, even if they are branding themselves a "quiet" or "stealth" luxury brand. So even "lesser known" influencers are important to them.

And it's not like it's costing Hermes anything. Influencers still have to pay for their bags. They're just moved up the queue. It's just annoying for other customers like the ones in this forum.

Agree, Hermes is definitely doing all things quite right with those numbers.

The Kelly Sutton had tonight, too. I loved the color. I definitely would love one like hers though in a smaller size. On that note of RHOB and influencers, without Michael Coste, Rinna would not have been offered that black mini Kelly.
I don’t recall exactly what Rinna said during that episode but I am fairly certain she got that mini kelly through a reseller. Same with Dorit’s bags, I would imagine. People like Kyle, Crystal, Tiffany Moon (RHODallas) are actual H clients; most of the rest click a button online and pay the premium to have the bag without the bother.

I think it was already acknowledged in the previous posts by other users that the age of celebs and famous people are already over, and that it's influencers and social media driving a lot of businesses now. And, as also acknowledged by other posters, Hermes is not above this. They are a business and will use whatever can benefit them, even if they are branding themselves a "quiet" or "stealth" luxury brand. So even "lesser known" influencers are important to them.

And it's not like it's costing Hermes anything. Influencers still have to pay for their bags. They're just moved up the queue. It's just annoying for other customers like the ones in this forum.
I tried to understand the circumstance of why Cassie would get MK offer in such short period of time with only 3k USD spend (if it is true), and looked up her YouTube channel. She has posted videos of her carrying a B25 (bamboo-green color?) in some old YouTube videos. I don't know how she sourced that B25 in the past.
However, I think it rings the bell to me that, sometimes Hermes boutiques may give preference to offer Quota Bags to new clients who carry Quota bags (Birkin, Kelly) when visiting the boutiques. It helps to portray that the client would be a potential serious client of Hermes. Such things could happen even the client has around ~10k USD spend (I know of one such case in a highly competitive boutique).

The circumstance that I described above is very different from a "lesser-known" influencer being offered a first Quota Bag because he/she is influential in the social media.

There are well-known influencers with >500k or 1M followings, who are actual long-time Hermes clients. So, hard to say the current businesses & craze for Hermes bags are driven because of "lesser-known" influencers.

Last edited:
I tried to understand the circumstance of why Cassie would get MK offer in such short period of time with only 3k USD spend (if it is true), and looked up her YouTube channel. She has posted videos of her carrying a B25 (bamboo-green color?) in some old YouTube videos. I don't know how she sourced that B25 in the past.
However, I think it rings the bell to me that, sometimes Hermes boutiques may give preference to offer Quota Bags to new clients who carry Quota bags (Birkin, Kelly) when visiting the boutiques. It helps to portray that the client would be a potential serious client of Hermes. Such things could happen even the client has around ~10k USD spend (I know of one such case in a highly competitive boutique).

The circumstance that I described above is very different from a "lesser-known" influencer being offered a first Quota Bag because he/she is influential in the social media.

There are well-known influencers with >500k or 1M followings, who are actual long-time Hermes clients. So, hard to say the current businesses & craze for Hermes bags are driven because of "lesser-known" influencers.
She just moved to NYC from London where she was already a H client. She did obtain her Bamboo B25 through the wishlist system at one of the London boutiques. She was even invited to the UK H private sale. So while she’s new to H NYC, she’s not new to H.

She just moved to NYC from London where she was already a H client. She did obtain her Bamboo B25 through the wishlist system at one of the London boutiques. She was even invited to the UK H private sale. So while she’s new to H NYC, she’s not new to H.

Thanks for info. That means she is an existing client of Hermes, with history of getting quota bags from Hermes.

Last edited:
Reactions: iseebearbears
The example that you mentioned in your comment is an actress, not a "lesser known" influencer.
So, Hermes already can attract attention from younger crowd using younger celebrities or famous people, but not quite the "lesser known" influencers...
I think that was the point I tried to make in my previous post.
Thanks for info. That means she is an existing client of Hermes, with history of getting quota bags from Hermes.
It just feels like you are set on resisting the impact of influencers and dismissing their influence. Sure, they might not be everyone's cup of tea but there's no doubt they have shaped marketing and media -- Hermes' 2022 sales numbers that someone else posted is just one piece of evidence, not to mention the sheer number of unboxings, hauls, and holy grail-type videos that sprang up during the last few years, all of which drive consumer awareness and demand.

Medium and micro-influencers are probably even more important than mega-influencers in driving sales. Their content feels relatable, they might be more likely to be in a particular customer's niche and gain traction in that community, and the huge number of them means that they boost the search results and postings for a brand in a significant way. If Tamara gets a bag, that's just expected favoritism, but if a smaller influencer scores a bag -- well maybe I can get lucky just like she did (so the thinking goes).

In any event, there is just no doubt that influencers have chipped away at the cult of A-list celebs. Younger consumers are watching Double Vanilla or Amelia Rose on youtube, audrey peters on Tiktok, or just scrolling through the #hermesunboxing hashtag on IG. Not looking at the A-list.

As for the question of why H needs to offer bags to smaller influencers, the point is that the audience for those influencers will covet the bag, start their H journey, start spending money at the boutique they may not have spent without the influencer's push -- and because the viewers are not influencers and will not be similarly able to score a bag without prespend, they may be hooked into spending more to get that bag for social media purposes or just for self-gratification.

It just feels like you are set on resisting the impact of influencers and dismissing their influence. Sure, they might not be everyone's cup of tea but there's no doubt they have shaped marketing and media -- Hermes' 2022 sales numbers that someone else posted is just one piece of evidence, not to mention the sheer number of unboxings, hauls, and holy grail-type videos that sprang up during the last few years, all of which drive consumer awareness and demand.

Medium and micro-influencers are probably even more important than mega-influencers in driving sales. Their content feels relatable, they might be more likely to be in a particular customer's niche and gain traction in that community, and the huge number of them means that they boost the search results and postings for a brand in a significant way. If Tamara gets a bag, that's just expected favoritism, but if a smaller influencer scores a bag -- well maybe I can get lucky just like she did (so the thinking goes).

In any event, there is just no doubt that influencers have chipped away at the cult of A-list celebs. Younger consumers are watching Double Vanilla or Amelia Rose on youtube, audrey peters on Tiktok, or just scrolling through the #hermesunboxing hashtag on IG. Not looking at the A-list.

As for the question of why H needs to offer bags to smaller influencers, the point is that the audience for those influencers will covet the bag, start their H journey, start spending money at the boutique they may not have spent without the influencer's push -- and because the viewers are not influencers and will not be similarly able to score a bag without prespend, they may be hooked into spending more to get that bag for social media purposes or just for self-gratification.

Actually, I was not planning to reply anymore about this topic. But as you have stated very clearly about your viewpoints, I just write this to share with you what my viewpoints are.

I do agree and understand the point you mentioned about how the influencers are chipping away the cult of A-list celebs, they are becoming more influential in marketing and media, and how many young people find them relate-able. This I understand and agree as a new trend in media. In fact, I did like the previous comment posted by 7th house (below). She has good points about how influencer-relatability works, even I am not sure if Hermes Birkin/Kelly need additional introduction to the world as they have been so famous for decades.

"Hermes wants to attract the nouveau rich. And you know, if you didn't come from money, Hermes can be so intimidating as a brand. However, if you follow an influencer who has that brand it makes the brand look a bit friendlier... So is it possible that Hermes maybe doing this? They wanna attract a new type of clientele who maybe wanting to get in the circle through using relatable influencers? (this is just me being a bit crafty, no offense) the already rich and famous don't need an intro to birkin or Kelly. But, the new rich people who probably made their money say from tech start ups or new businesses would need an intro to B and K.

However, I find the posts that considered Hermes business growth is the effect of the influencers culture (esp. "the lesser known" ones) a bit too generalizing. We all know Hermes has significant business/revenue growth in the past 2 years. However, Hermes is not the only luxury brand that see significant revenue growth, so are LVMH, Prada, Rolex, Richemont, etc. luxury brands. All these brands are seeing eager new clients who want to buy their Ready-to-Wear, Watches, bags, etc, to an extent that the shelves are quite empty in the boutiques most of the time. But what drives these new eager clients - that is the Quantitative Easing which has been generating so much wealth for many people.

In regards of new clients at Hermes - actually Hermes not only get some new clients via influencer culture, but there are many new clients who were originally shopping at Chanel and are switching to shop at Hermes as a result of crazy price increases happening with Chanel handbags/ready-to-wear last few years. These Chanel clients are no strangers to high-end luxury brands, and a good portion of them are really the targeted clients that Hermes would want to cultivate long-term client relationships with because of their spending potentials.

With the above, while I think Hermes use "lesser known" influencers to promote their makeup line, I quite doubt Hermes need to promote their Birkin or Kelly handbags via "lesser known" influencers as some posts were suggesting Hermes need to (?) offer to "less known" influencers just to capture more new clients. If Hermes simply wants to capture any new clients influenced by "lesser known" influencers (who most are after quota bags, and some need to resell the H products on FB/Instagram to fund their purchases), you would not see new clients being turned away because they cannot establish a work relationship with the SAs or the Hermes boutiques. Many Hermes SAs are indicating they are not taking in new clients, because they already have enough existing clients. All these are pointing to the fact that Hermes has been saturated with clients who can truly afford their products, and has to be selective in their clients who have the real spending potentials and are no strangers to luxury brands.

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to their own opinions regarding this "influencer" matter. It's ok for anyone to share their viewpoints on this matter. And, I don't see a need to explain my viewpoint any further.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, it's about exposure. Offering a client a bag who will get millions of views is a better marketing tool than selling one to someone like me who doesn't post on IG and couldn't care less about "influencing" others
+1

Also it feels like the influencers are in many levels doing free marketing (basically still paying several thousands for it to H ‍). Just watching youtube ”unboxing” and then ”how I scored a B/K” where the message is buy from different categories to show you value the brand and are loyal while being overly interested in the brand in communication with your SA. Then give a number for prespend and how Paris lottery was good for you though you did purchace several other products on our trip. Then remember to mention you only buy products you like and want yet everytime you can read between the lines that every purchase is for getting a QB. (No judgement here just observations from several hours of listening to luxury youtube.) On top of that show the actual bag. Some times I think Hermes has the best marketing minds and sometimes I am uncertian if we customers are just doing all the work.