Influencer led purchases

May 3, 2020
Please share purchases that you have brought based on influencers advertising on YouTube or Instagram.

Item? Or Items?
Do you recommend the item?
Which Influencer?
Do you trust Him or her?
Regret your purchase?

Item?
Pink sweat joggers by Les Boys Les Girls (luckily my only influencer led purchase)

Which influencer?
In the Frow (Victoria)

Do you trust him or her?
A little (I don’t trust any items advertised), but I think In the Frow is better than most influencers out there

Regret your purchase?
Yes, but the purchase wasn’t entirely her fault. I don’t wear joggers and sweats, all brands kept advertising loungewear at the start of the pandemic. I got sucked in and saw a cute pink style on her channel.

1. A Reiss coat and a jcrew coat
2. yes, highly recommend both coats. I bought the reiss one 50% off during the summer
3. chase Amie
4. I don’t totally trust her, but that‘s how I feel in general about most influencers. I like that I was introduced to a new brand, reiss, but I still try to limit watching her videos. She’s a bit of a shopaholic and I don’t want to be influenced into becoming one too!
5. No regrets! Love both coats!

1. Sezane jeans
2. Dearly Bethany and Emma Hill
3. Not anymore. After sezane I was wary of Arket, Everlane and Reformation.
4. I mean kinda. Still have mixed feelings regarding my purchases. I think they are good looking with sturdy denim fabric. So yes if you can find a right fit. Be cautious of the weird smell.

Spent another fortune to get them tailored and fit better which I kinda regret... Has a weird smell that doesnt go away despite washing them.

In hindsight I should have returned them both and get a size smaller. The website is heavily stylised with models twisting in poses so you can't see the actual garment in plain view and photographed them in plain flat view. The reason why I bought these jeans was because I love the plain light blue wash. I am picky about the colour and sezane offers just the right shade of blue.

Overall I think sezane is overhyped and expensive. Especially for a brand that markets themselves as sustainable but uses lots of polyester and mixed fibres in their product.

Last edited:
1. Sezane jeans
4. I mean kinda. Still have mixed feelings regarding my purchases. I think they are good looking with sturdy denim fabric. So yes if you can find a right fit. Be cautious of the weird smell.

I bought an Everlane cashmere sweater a couple years ago off a blogger who "buys" a LOT of Everlane and it was terrible quality! Never again.

Reactions: Sterntalerli
I bought a couple of dresses on Amazon after seeing on an influencer (1 from Kristy Wicks and 1 from Gretchen Rossi). They are cute and decent quality for the price. I bought Essence Lash Princess mascara for $5, it is a really good mascara for the price, better than some of the more expensive ones I've tried (a few influencers used it, Dani Austin, Courtney Shields, Hollie Woodward). I bought the Essence mascara primer too but I don't think I would buy it again, just the mascara. Revitalash serum after seeing TiffanyDmakeup use it (got it from the Nordstrom Anniversary sale), it really works! Haven't tried it yet but I bought the Dime Beauty lash serum and mascara (only $30 on an early Black Friday deal) a few influencers were promoting. I've bought some other random fashion jewelry on Amazon. Mostly cheaper purchases.

1. Sezane jeans

Spent another fortune to get them tailored and fit better which I kinda regret... Has a weird smell that doesnt go away despite washing them.

In hindsight I should have returned them both and get a size smaller. The website is heavily stylised with models twisting in poses so you can't see the actual garment in plain view and photographed them in plain flat view. The reason why I bought these jeans was because I love the plain light blue wash. I am picky about the colour and sezane offers just the right shade of blue.

Overall I think sezane is overhyped and expensive. Especially for a brand that markets themselves as sustainable but uses lots of polyester and mixed fibres in their product.
Can't agree more about Sezane - so so overpriced for the offerings. And most of them are polyester! Cute styles though, but not enough to make me buy polyester for more than $100.

1. A Reiss coat and a jcrew coat
2. yes, highly recommend both coats. I bought the reiss one 50% off during the summer
3. chase Amie
4. I don’t totally trust her, but that‘s how I feel in general about most influencers. I like that I was introduced to a new brand, reiss, but I still try to limit watching her videos. She’s a bit of a shopaholic and I don’t want to be influenced into becoming one too!
5. No regrets! Love both coats!

Reiss and JCrew are pretty solid companies that have been around for ages, I’m not a total fan but they give a good staple when it comes to workwear and while not cheap also not overpriced. I have a trench coat from Reiss for in between and in a shade of beige that’s more flattering to my skin tone than the typical Burberry beige, must be 10 years old, doesn’t date, good quality, the only problem I had was that I had to reattach a button it going into the washing machine once again to get rid of a muddy paw print. I kinda like that Reiss doesn’t do too trendy, so it doesn’t date and gives you something to fall back on.

I've picked up a number of things along the way when it comes to fabric composition from my teenaged hobbies of knitting and sewing, so it has guided me through what I think is worth my time or not.

1. Sezane shirts, Mejuri solid gold jewellery, Reformation blazer and dress

2. No, I'm not going to actively promote them, but if someone's asked me for something specific and it's within their budget, I might recommend.

3. Sezane - multiple influencers such as Dearly Bethany and Arna Alayne who happened to buy a sweater, but I think it was their social media marketing that reached me first, having Camille Rowe model for them and multiple fashion articles written up in respectable sources.
Mejuri - Started with Essie Button and Amelia Liana when they wore the evil eye chain rings (I still own one), and I've just followed them over the years.
Reformation - Joan Kim and Bestdressed. I don't think they were directly paid to promote but simply hopping on the bandwagon with the hype. Joan Kim does vlogs these days but did more skincare/beauty related videos back then, and Bestdressed was still a film student.

4. I trust Dearly Bethany's advice, and I find her general style videos don't actively push brands but I avoid her Sezane collection videos. Arna does beauty videos, so it hasn't really affected my trust in her. The sweater looked great on her. I wish I could look like Camille Rowe but she's just doing her job and selling the clothes. As for the other girls, I primarily watched because it was a peek into a totally different lifestyle to mine. Joan Kim had the most influence on me: a lot of them beauty, but I found out about All Saints jackets through her, and various American brands like AG jeans and Grlfrnd. She had that cool sister vibe that I didn't sense in Essie Button or Amelia Liana. Bestdressed had it too but I didn't hang around with her channel for long because I'm a bit older than her and I feel like her style ain't hitting what I want for inspiration.

5. Semi-regret? My Sezane shirts are cotton, so I didn't have any issues. It's just that it is expensive. Nevertheless, I get compliments wearing my more statement shirt, and the plain cotton shirt is a flattering shape for me. I still wear my Mejuri pieces but I feel they're a tad lightweight and almost flimsy. They haven't snapped or broken apart on me yet, but they don't feel that luxurious. Reformation? Hit-and-miss. I love my blazer, but I bought the same blazer dress that Joan Kim had (on sale) and while the fabric is more substantial than your typical fast-fashion purchase, the construction of it is poor. It looks good in a pose but it's clearly not made for a moving body.

I purchased rings from Kinn Studios after seeing them on NYCBambi. To be fair, I was already looking for rings and knew I didn't even want to bother with Mejuri and Missomi and other influencer-heavy brands. Every single YouTuber I watch has had multiple sponsored Merjuri videos and I am tired of it before even seeing any IRL. Anyway, back to Kinn. Small female owned brand, very high quality pieces (all solid gold, no vermeil). The pieces are classic and timeless while also being modern. VERY happy with the purchases and debating going back for a bracelet.

Reactions: keodi and LPR200
I find I buy quite a bit from IG influencers but I follow the sustainable ones like Style Bee rather than the big names so the brands I buy through them tend to be good - Elizabeth Suzann (sadly closed after summer and now only offering limited releases), Jamie+theJones, Naadam) and I rarely regret.

I rarely shop from the Youtubers as I watch more for eye candy or because I like the energy/vibe (Style Hard, Cassie Thorpe) or advice (Lizzie Edwards, Caitlin Powlawski) and for luxury bags, I tend to follow the ones who aren’t that popular (Colorful Noir, I am GPS).

Which Influencer?
Wayne Goss

Item? Or Items?
1) Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream (or primer?) - I forget the exact name of the product and this was a few years ago so I think it has been been renamed at this point.
2) His own line of makeup brushes

1) No, I hated this cream/primer, it never absorbed and felt like wax on my face. It was scented with a disgusting scent that I could still smell on my face at the end of the day. It has put me off from all CT products.
2) Yes, I liked his brushes and still use them today several years later. The only one I didn't like too much was the foundation brush which I felt was a bit streaky for me.

Do you trust Him or her?
I used to but now I take his recommendations with a grain of salt.

Regret your purchase?
I regret the cream but not the brushes

---------------

Which Influencer?
Combination of many lux purse Youtubers but I'll put down Minks4All, Emma Anderson, angeleyn

Item? Or Items?
1) Senreve Alunna and Aria bag (these bags weren't specifically recommended by Youtubers but the brand was)
2) Polene numbero un mini backpack

1) Yes, but I'd recommend the Aria over the Alunna. I feel the Aria is a nice bag for the cost and it's well made. The Alunna is just as well made but quite a bit more expensive. If I were to go back in time, I might not rebuy this.
2) Yes, it's a great bag and I think pretty good value for the cost.

Do you trust Him or her?
Emma Anderson I would trust for the most part, the other influencers I take with a grain of salt. There were a lot of videos and reviews for the Senreve bag but even the "non-sponsored" videos were "Senreve ambassadors".

Regret your purchase?
Overall, no, mostly because I got all of them around the holidays where Senreve had pretty good deals (free gifts and no tax and I had discount codes) and Polene had free international shipping.

---------------

Which Influencer?
MelInMelbourne

Item? Or Items?
LilySilk items:
1) MIM Lace Silk Blouse With Removable Bow (Mel's design that she advertised on her channel, which led me to the site)
2) Round Neck Silk Blouse
3) 10 Pack Mixed Style Silk Hair Scrunchies

1) No, but it's kind of up to personal taste. Overall I like the design (standup collar, removable tie, lace details), but there are some things that annoy me. The sleeves are too long for me and the cuff is not tight enough so the sleeve kind of hangs over my hand lower than comfortable. I would downsize but I think if I did then the shirt would be too tight in the shoulders. The buttons are also loops + pearl buttons instead of having buttonholes down the front. This allows for more gapping in the front of the shirt which I do not like. I do sew myself so I may just alter the shirt to fit my needs. However it's one of the most expensive blouses that LilySilk has so it's annoying to have to do that for the cost.
2) Yes, this blouse fits what I needed for and the quality seems decent to me.
3) Yes and no, I don't like the bunny ear'ed scrunchies as much as I thought I would, the wire in the bow makes it look odd when it's on your hair. I would recommend the just the normal scrunchies instead.

Do you trust Him or her?
Ehh, I don't have too much of an opinion on her because I don't really follow Mel. I would say I would pay attention to her recommendations for ideas but would probably do my own research before buying. In this case, someone on TPF said LilySilk's stuff was thin and low quality so I was originally not going to buy it. But I really did like the design so I searched for more reviews and FashionablyAmy and Kat recommended it so I decided to take the chance since I trust them for the most part.

Regret your purchase?
Overall no, but I wish I got the other MIM shirt which is just a basic blouse with tie instead of the one that I got with the lace details.

Reactions: Tasha1 and keodi
Can't agree more about Sezane - so so overpriced for the offerings. And most of them are polyester! Cute styles though, but not enough to make me buy polyester for more than $100.

That’s so funny, I also refuse to buy polyester, but my maximum I’ll pay for polyester is $30 or $40.many influencers look great in the outfits, but when I look the items up, polyester, so a no for me.

That’s so funny, I also refuse to buy polyester, but my maximum I’ll pay for polyester is $30 or $40.many influencers look great in the outfits, but when I look the items up, polyester, so a no for me.
I actually have not bought a single polyester piece at all this past year by choice, and will continue this in the future. My wardrobe currently as a whole probably has 5-10% polyester pieces, and I want to keep it that way. So Sezanne is definitely a no for me.

I totally agree with you that anything >$30-40 for poly is too much, but I’m guilty of buying a couple things in the past from mid-range designer sales/outlets which near $100.

And as you said rightly, most cute outfits by influencers look cute in the photos, but so flimsy/poor quality in real life. Is styling good quality clothes too much to ask?! :confused1:

Reactions: keodi and marbella8
1. Sezane jeans

agree, the only item I purchase from Sezane are their romantic style cotton blouses. I'm not a fan of the majority of their clothing items due to fabric content. Everlane is hit or miss for me, and reformation I avoid for ethical reasons..
I find I buy quite a bit from IG influencers but I follow the sustainable ones like Style Bee rather than the big names so the brands I buy through them tend to be good - Elizabeth Suzann (sadly closed after summer and now only offering limited releases), Jamie+theJones, Naadam) and I rarely regret.

I rarely shop from the Youtubers as I watch more for eye candy or because I like the energy/vibe (Style Hard, Cassie Thorpe) or advice (Lizzie Edwards, Caitlin Powlawski) and for luxury bags, I tend to follow the ones who aren’t that popular (Colorful Noir, I am GPS).
Same.