Infiniti G37 and Acura TL

agile

Apr 17, 2008
DH and I are looking at getting a new car.

Initially we thought about getting a certified pre-owned Audi A6 but we're slightly unsure about the whole buying used vs new experience since the CPO audi dealers near our place have very bad reviews.

So we started looking at new cars instead and yesterday we test drove the 2009 Acura TL and Infiniti G37. While the Infiniti is way more fun to drive and has better handling and performance, I'm questioning it's reliability (since it's a Nissan). Also, it seems to have less interior room than the Acura TL.

What do you all know about Infinity G37 vs Acura TL? Which should we go for? Also, which brand is better in terms of long-term reliability? We're planning to keep the car for over 10 years.

Last edited:
I used to own the G35 and after just a few months, I was having starting problems with the car. I took it to several dealers and they were ALL RUDE and could not figure out how to fix my car. I also own an Acura CL that I've had for almost 10 years now. The service is ALWAYS impeccable and my car has never had to be repaired!

I used to own the G35 and after just a few months, I was having starting problems with the car. I took it to several dealers and they were ALL RUDE and could not figure out how to fix my car. I also own an Acura CL that I've had for almost 10 years now. The service is ALWAYS impeccable and my car has never had to be repaired!

If you don't mind me asking, what was wrong with the G35? I'm also around the NJ/NY area. Which dealers did you go to that were rude?

I got the TL a while back, brand new in 2003. Of course the style was different than now but I loved that car. It had everything I wanted, the stereo system was great, comfortable enough for 3 kids at the back and it was a very reliable car, never had any problem with it. Had I have a choice, I would have loved to drive that car till it dies but my husband surprised me & got me a new car half a year ago. So now, I drive the new car & he drives the TL.

The newer model of the TL looks very nice and Acura being a higher version of the Honda, I believe it's worth every single penny. The pricing is great for the beautiful sporty styling & reliability. Also, if you do decide to sell it down the road, I believe the resell value is higher for an Acura than a Nissan.

The new TL's look HORRID!! For that reason alone I'd go with the G37. Then, on top of the great looks of the G37, you have the fantastic Nissan engine and handling that comes almost to par with BMW. It's a no brainer, as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, I'd go with the Audi, but I'm a German car lover.

We bought a Acura TL last year and love the car. My husband had a Honda Prelude and moved up to this and really enjoys driving it. We've had no problem with the car.

Actually my husband builds this car along with the Accords at the Marysville Honda Plant in Ohio and they take great pride in their work. He was excited to buy a car that he builds.

We had the Prelude for 8 years and I can see us driving this car that long(and longer).

I used to own the G35 when it first came out in 2003. Talk about ya nightmare cars...I wound up getting another one, because the first one was so unrealible (a burning smell whenever the car started up and poor braking and the service dept. couldn't figure it out). After about 7 months of my being a serious major league NON-STOP biotching and nagging and snapping PITA with the dealership and Nissan Corp, they gave me a new one (both brand new--not pre-owned), I wound up selling it about a year later. I'll NEVER get another Nissan again (especially the G series)--well, never say never--but it's highly unlikely. It was fun to drive, but NOT as an everyday car.

PLEASE Keep in mind, this is when they first came out when I had mine (both of them 2003), so perhaps they've improved on them since then!

PERHAPS the reliability has dramatically improved by now--I hope so. Caveat Emptor! (did I spell that right)?:confused1: TAKE YOUR TIME and do your homework (like you're doing now).

Be sure to check out some of the G's forums on the web and ask around (like you're doing). Don't ask people who are selling them (of course). Check out consumer report and as I said places like forums, eopinion and places like that.

Im obsessed with the G series. The sound of that engine is just amazing. But unfortunately, they arent that great of a car. I def say go for the Acura. They are great made cars and have the best customer service.

I don't really care for the new TL's. My Mom has always been a Honda Acura girl and has loved every single one! Never had issues, and they do hold their value very well!

I am looking at possibly getting the G37 since they made one that is all wheel drive this year!

I don't really care for the new TL's. My Mom has always been a Honda Acura girl and has loved every single one! Never had issues, and they do hold their value very well!

I am looking at possibly getting the G37 since they made one that is all wheel drive this year!

That was ONE of the major PITA with the G's I owed in 2003, when they first came out. They were rear wheel drive only. They came out with the all wheel drive a few months AFTER I purchased my first one. That was one of the reason's I sold the 2nd one. I didn't like the rear wheel drive at all in wet weather.

^^ I had a 2005 Mustang GT and that was rear wheel drive. It had traction control, but it was still a little difficult in the snow with over 300 HP. I have a 5 month old right now, so maybe next year I will finally get the G37!

FYI, from MSN Autos

Acura TL User Rating - 9.7
Infiniti G Series User Rating - 9.8

I think they're both going to be rather reliable cars over all, but the G is rather sexy and handles superbly. If you're wanting the BMW of Japanese cars, get the G. If you want the Honda of Japanese cars, get the Acura. ;)

I have a 2005 G35 and I absolutely love it. I haven't had any problems so far and it handles really well. I still love hearing the sound of the exhaust note everytime I drive it. The only downside is the trunk space and lack of room in the back seat, but I guess that can be expected from any 2 door coupe.

I just checked the web and they have new for 2009 a hardtop convertible.

I would NOT buy another G, but if I just had to have one or if my hubby gave me one, I guess I'd really like this one:

http://www.infinitiusa.com/gconvertible/?dcp=ppi.29112236.&dcc=0.206757118

Triple black or triple navy/dark midnight blue (If I could get it with a custom navy/dark midnight blue ragtop) would suit me just fine!:beach:

Last edited: