Infant Swimming

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Wowww that's amazing! But, I seriously still wouldn't trust my child near a pool! But, it would be good for them to know JUST IN CASE.

2. OMG, that is AMAZING!!unbelievable...if that really works that is really great.

i don't have kids but when i do i will definitely teach them how to swim at a very early age. it is like a must in my view...by teaching them to swim you are really teaching them how to save themselves from drowning. i've heard of too many sad cases of kids drowning in pools, rivers, etc. :sad:

3. Even though I knew the baby would be OK, i just had to be sure the baby was picked up and safe.... the only thing I would worry about is parents getting a false sense of security. They couldn't do that forever and could get hypothermic.

4. yeah i was holding my breath...i wanted someone to get the baby like right then!! it's amazing that they can be taught what to do.

5. That indeed works. Infants can be taught to swim from a very young age. Those programs are brilliant in my opinion. But I don't think a parent should ever feel too comfortable about their infant around a pool.

6. I have to agree, I want Ainslie to take swim lessons just bc there are so many pools in the area of town we live in, everyone has one. Just in case she were to ever fall in or something, God forbid!

7. #8 Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    We taught all four of our children through Infant Swimming Resource ~~~it is fabulous and because it is based on muscle memory they are sure to remember it!!
    It saved our second child (swept out to sea and kept him just close enough to us to retrieve.) We live in Florida and we are always surrounded by water ~ everywhere!
    It is a scary thing to watch but so much better than watching them drown, right?
    Last summer we had the class for our 1 year old and a wonderful neighbor announced loudly over and over again how any parent who payed for swimming lessons for a child under 6 years years old was wasting their money. She had watched a program saying this was true... her children were older and in life jackets. Well, everyone then proceeded to watch my son take his standard ten minute lesson and he swam on his back the length of that very large neighborhood pool. (In anticipation of finding his instructor.) Needless to say, the neighbor left the pool shortly after that, just before the rest of the pool asked for the info on the ISR program. The three problems you have with this program are these: it is just slightly more expensive than other programs, you are obligated to do it everyday (it lasted every single day of our entire summer), and the last is that people are too ridiculous to make the sacrifice. We Floridians see it all too often (drownings, that is) it is really an avoidable tragedy.
    We look foward to taking our refresher this summer (as a child grows they must adjust to a new body and become accustomed to new strengths~ the refresher is about two weeks.)

8. #9 Jan 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
    WOW! I almost cried in the beginning. I am sitting here watching my 4 month old sleep and couldn't imagine losing her, especially when I could possibly avoid it!

9. #10 Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    These are pics of my two youngest last summer. One of the requirements for graduation is that they are tossed in the pool (gently but in order to disorient them) with summer and winter clothing to see if they can manage the additional challenge and make it to the wall in order to be rescued. That is by far the hardest visual for a parent or passerby to endure because the simulation is so strikingly real..... is really looks like they are drowning.... but of course they are perfectly capable of making it on their own! It is truly amazing!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The little one that you saw in the film was too little to train to reach their wall... my son started the summer out that way but midway through we determined that he was strong enough to make that connection and reach his wall succesfully...BONUS!!!

10. Singapore being an island with water all around it's crucial to know how to swim. Many parents just toss their newborns or very young babies below 6m old into the water. Miraculously babies surface on their own. I don't dare do it though, unless I have life saving skills which I currently don't. Will adopt the scaredy cat way, intro young baby into water but with floats :P

11. The arm floats are very bad for children VPT they make the child swim upright and believe that they will always have their head up (unnatural assumption) when my DH was a lifeguard he said that they would slip from their upper arm to their wrist and the child would drown :sad: MIL put my third in floaties without my knowing and the ISR instructor told me that she had been in floats, so I asked MIL and sure enough!!! I was so mad! The instrustor said the boogie boards are better if they extend them from their bodies because it makes them horizontal and kick ~ a more natural position.

Good Luck VPT ~ just teach them to "find their wall" and work with them until they float by themselves!!!

12. So I use a foam board then? I used the board to learn to swim as a kid but couldn't tread water until in my 20s when I was about to drown.

13. #14 Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
    Yes, a board is better but please work with them to turn over on their backs and float by themselves... taking them out to the middle of the pool and having them swim to the stairs is also helpful ~ it establishes the ability to swim to safety should they fall in or become distressed when you are not there. Floating allows them to rest so that they don't get tired. Floating on their backs allows them to get their air and rest.
    BUT making them jump in the pool before they can swim will only cause future problems and having them swim from the sides of the pool is also not a good idea because they will be over confident about their ability and swim out and not be able to get back to the sides.

1. Teach them to float on their backs
    2. Never have them jump in
    3. Always have them swim toward the sides or the stairs in a horizontal postion with their heads down and their arms free to be extended toward safety (by walking them out away from the sides and then turning them toward the sides or stairs)
    4. Teach them to get breaths of at least a count of 3

Have fun!

14. I think knowing how to swimm and float like that is really important. My son started his swimming classes when he was just over 5 months old. That swimming course took 3 months to complete, but DS is now very very confortable in water, he has learnt to hold hi breath and spit water when he comes up for air :P. He can't swimm yet because he's too young, but his next 3 month course starts in about 4 weeks.

BTW, I almost cried from watching that video. I know that the video was a simulation, but that baby sounded genuinely distressed, and to leave that baby in there so they could keep recording the footage kinda broke my heart :crybaby: