Food Inexpensive Wine

afsweet

O.G.
Aug 7, 2008
I'm totally clueless about wine but would like to buy 12 bottles as a wine of the month gift to my friend. The traditional wine of the month clubs are pretty pricey, so I figured I'd buy 12 bottles myself and package them nicely to gift to my friend.

The problem is, I don't know what wines to buy! And, to make things harder, I'd like to keep each bottle under $10.

My friend will basically drink anything, but I know for a fact she likes sweet/dessert wines.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

do you have barefoot wine?? you can find it in walmart...target... depending on your local liquor laws. that's pretty inexpensive. no more than $10 i think and sometimes you can find it on sale. their moscato and reisling is really good (if you like sweet wines).

ILuvShopping- our walmarts and targets don't sell any liquor. do they sell barefoot wine at normal liqour stores though?

needloub- unfortunately i don't have a whole foods near me, but i'm thinking maybe trader joe's would have some good picks?

ILuvShopping- our walmarts and targets don't sell any liquor. do they sell barefoot wine at normal liqour stores though?

needloub- unfortunately i don't have a whole foods near me, but i'm thinking maybe trader joe's would have some good picks?

I think they have barefoot wine at regular liquor stores too..at least mine have it. And I agree, it's def my favorite cheap wine. I've never bought wine at Trader Joes, but I know they have a good selection of cheap wines too :smile:

One of my friends told me about "Charles Shaw" wine only available at Trader Joes I believe, it's only $2.99 a bottle and gets really good reviews! I looked it up and it people really like it....and the price ....plus you can read the story about why it's so inexpensive. Unfortunately I never tried it because all wine gives me a headache :sad:

Three Wishes @ Whole foods is either $2 or $3....their answer to the Charles Shaw at Trader Joes. I find the Three wishes to be actually very good. The Charles Shaw, not so much.

Trader Joes and Cost Plus are great resources for good $10 ish bottles.

Thanks, I'm going to tell my friend about the Three Wishes wine and see if she try's it! I WISH I could drink wine without getting a headache.....bums me out.

Three Wishes @ Whole foods is either $2 or $3....their answer to the Charles Shaw at Trader Joes. I find the Three wishes to be actually very good. The Charles Shaw, not so much.

Trader Joes and Cost Plus are great resources for good $10 ish bottles.

i LOVE sweet wines too. One of my favorite cheaper brands is Francis Ford Coppola's Chardonnay, very good flavors for around $10 a bottle. Schmitt Sohne makes a very DELISH riesling, a classic sweet dessert wine. I know they make 3 or 4 variations of their riesling. Messina Hof also makes a very good riesling, sweet but not as sweet as the Schmitt Sohne. Moscato and Gewurztraminer wines are often sweet as well.

Three Wishes was exactly the wine I was talking about from Whole Foods Market. It is $3.99 and my favorite is the Cab, but the Merlot and Chardonnay are equally as good. I cook with them and I also drink them while I cook LOL!

The sweetest wine I have tried was arbour mist ( although I don't think this is really a wine as it's fruit flavored white zinfandel
Your friend doesn't sound like a true wine connoisseur, which there is nothing wrong with.

I think this is a great starter wine and is widely available in the US