Food Indian Food?

Health wise, they say with Indian food, the drier the food (less sauce) the better. Thats why I opt for vegetable Jalfrazi and foods like that.

Im pregnant and during my first trimester I craved Indian food so much! I had it 2 to 3 times a week!! SPICY!

LINDA you're pregnant!? CONGRATULATIONS! Is this number 3? Wow congratulations to you - that is so great :heart:

I love Indian food! If you want healthy and pretty good tasting vegetarian Indian food there is a frozen food company called Amy's Organics that makes great frozen Indian food that is low fat, veggie, and very healthy. LOVE it!:heart:

I love Indian food and love most of their dishes!!

A few weeks ago I got a chance to try the dosai and love it!! I love the spicy one lol..love that spicy food!!

BF's father's side is Indian so needless to say I eat it regularly. LOL. It's good but not spicy enough for me. For spicy hot, I go for Thai or Chinese. Indian food can be healthy but you gotta watch what you eat and stuff. Too much ghee is bad for your health. BF's male relatives all died relatively young (50's) due to poor eating habits and balancing what they eat. Moderation is key in everything, not just Indian food.

LINDA you're pregnant!? CONGRATULATIONS! Is this number 3? Wow congratulations to you - that is so great :heart:

YES! This is number 3! Baby developed the first trimester on Indian food and a touch of Thai!! :lol: People told me I shouldnt eat spicy food during pregnancy because of heartburn but it didnt affect me at all (and it was spicy). Then I had some bluecheese and THAT gave me heartburn! Go figure!

Definitely go to an Indian Buffet at lunch time. You will get to try everything!

It kind of depends, I too think the aroma is too strong, but then again I'm talking about real home indian cooking that wafers up the stairs.. I have sharp taste buds and.. a sharp nose? LOL so its just too strong for me, the scent I guess you can say is thick which is why some people who love it say its intoxicating, when I remember it was suffocating LOL. but great for those who can handle it, and if you cannot, don't feel bad, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This is why I need to marry an Italian, a hot Italian man with a great grandmother with all those secret pasta recipies..:P

YES! This is number 3! Baby developed the first trimester on Indian food and a touch of Thai!! :lol: People told me I shouldnt eat spicy food during pregnancy because of heartburn but it didnt affect me at all (and it was spicy). Then I had some bluecheese and THAT gave me heartburn! Go figure!

Definitely go to an Indian Buffet at lunch time. You will get to try everything!
OMG congrats!! :yahoo:

yeah just to update I had 1 roti, 1 tandoori naan, saag, and dhal awhile ago for breaking my fast OMG my mom can cook so good HAHAHA.

I love "desi" food.
I have a question: what's behind "desi"?

Why do Indians refer to themselves as "desi" (and I'm not being funny or rude, I'm curious, thats all)?

Why do Indians refer to themselves as "desi" (and I'm not being funny or rude, I'm curious, thats all)?

Desi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It basically means "people from India" but there are vast differences between people from the different Indian states as well as the castes (the caste system is illegal now but there are still many many caste traditions that are carried on today...for example...the brahmins are thoughout India and they are traditionally vegetarian...that's why there are vegetarian brahmins from both North and south india...my family is from south india and the vegetarian cuisine there is quite different from the veggie cuisine in the north...in the south they eat a lot of rice along with soups and stews and different ways of preparing vegetables...in the north they eat more wheat and use totally different spices.....there are the jains who are vegetarian and don't even eat onions or garlic ...sounds limiting but I've eaten at a jain family's house and the food is delish....there are also non vegetarian cuisines of all regions...in the south there is something called chettinad cuisine which has meat and is extremely spicy....Ive never had it but there are people who travel all the way there just to eat it) In my family the food is pretty mild but amazingly tasty (but I'm biased) )

Btw congrats Luccibag!!!

I love Indian food and love most of their dishes!!

A few weeks ago I got a chance to try the dosai and love it!! I love the spicy one lol..love that spicy food!!

This is my favorite food ever...I like plain dosa or sometimes masala dosa (with potato) (It's similar to a pancake but since it is made of rice and a certain white lentil combo that is slightly fermented...it taste a bit like sourdough bread..but thinner...it's great!) They are fun to make at home as well.

Here are some links (Lol!)

Dosa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Image Result for http://www.hat.net/album/asia/india/30_sleep_eat_and_move/food/041215213704_dosa_in_haveli_guest_house_resturant.jpg

here is a particularly long dosa...(at the bottom of the page)

Google Image Result for http://individual.utoronto.ca/vivek/images/dosa.jpg

I found this new york times magazine article that is very informative and conveys some of the things I was trying to

After Centuries, The Vegetarian Feast of India Finally Arrives - New York Times

Im not indian. Im actually sweedish, pakistani, persian and iranian mix. BUT I do know that desi just means people from india and since pakistani use to be apart of india..I guess some people from pakistan consider themselves to be DESI because alot of them originated from present day india back when it use to be one big sub continent.

I Looove Indian food. I am in a faze where I am eating it 3-4 days a week. I have been getting the chicken tikka saag. Basically chicken in a creamed spinach with spices. When the Spinach scare started I crossed my fingers and prayed!LOL!:smile:

Lol, I have ups and downs about indian food. My best friend's apt when i was little was across from an indian family's and we used to all comment about the smell (we thought it was gross). I didn't have any indian food until about 3 years ago at my bf's friend's bday party where her mom made food and it was sooo good! I really liked it until we went to an Indian buffet last year and EVERYONE (all 8 lol of us) came back with stomachaches including the 2 indians boys. BUT NOW I WANT IT AGAIN! What's my problem?