Inaminate Objects

GillianAnnie

Dec 28, 2012
I was wondering why Mulberry handbags (and quite probably all other handbags) are known as a 'her'? I can't get my head around this humanising of inanimate objects. I've tried but it just doesn't feel right.

I really love my bays but can't seem to refer to it as a 'her'. I wonder if anyone actually gives them names?

Anyone else think like this or is it just me??

GillianAnnie said:
I was wondering why Mulberry handbags (and quite probably all other handbags) are known as a 'her'? I can't get my head around this humanising of inanimate objects. I've tried but it just doesn't feel right.

I really love my bays but can't seem to refer to it as a 'her'. I wonder if anyone actually gives them names?

Nope my Daria is sitting on the couch at my mums and is looking very happy there on her own. She is inanimate yes but not an object. Hope that clarifies

;)

Maybe because many of the styles have girl's names e.g. Mabel, Lily etc?

Cars are also considered female, and their owners give them girl's names!

I think it's a lot to do with people being very attached to their possessions as most of us work and save hard to be able to buy them. :smile:

Sorry I'm the sort of nutter that does think of my bags as babies I know its blinking crazy but I truly do baby my bags & always refer to them as her...... I'll probably have it written in my will that my Chanels & Birkin are to be buried with me...... Yep I'm crazy but I'm sure there are crazier things people do :lolots::lolots::lolots::lolots:

Maybe because many of the styles have girl's names e.g. Mabel, Lily etc?

Cars are also considered female, and their owners give them girl's names!

I think it's a lot to do with people being very attached to their possessions as most of us work and save hard to be able to buy them. :smile:
I felt a bit funny at first as well but now its the norm for me as my collection has grown and i am quite attatched to them now.
Well said MM i agree. xxxx

Last edited:
All of mine are female!! Not that I am anti male. Some of them have names like black bays is raven and oak bays is oaky, maybe as they were my first two although the rest are just called by their mulberry names like Lily.

Maybe if I had an Antony it would be he.

My Filofaxes tend to be male though. My current one, red Malden is definitely a he!! Purple Adelphi beforehand was a she.

I am nuts!

I am totally with you on this one. Maybe we are the only ones lol, but as much as i love my bags and pay way too much for them i simply can't call them 'her'.

GillianAnnie said:
If not an object...what then??

Part of our families! When we have spent ages saving for and sometimes longer sourcing our perfect bag, sometimes they do take on some
Sort of character to us (well to me definitely) so yes they are female and part of my family and no one will change my mind about it I'm afraid!

new2mulbs said:
Part of our families! When we have spent ages saving for and sometimes longer sourcing our perfect bag, sometimes they do take on some
Sort of character to us (well to me definitely) so yes they are female and part of my family and no one will change my mind about it I'm afraid!

I totally agree!!! :smile:
I don't get attached in the same way to shoes, clothes any other inanimate object but my bags and Filofaxes definitely!!!
Oh my car is a she too!
Haha.
As I said I am nuts.

I name everything! My car is called Squeezy. And before her I had Mrs Moonshine. Ive had one called Sunshine Buttercup Daydream! (She was yellow)
I refer to my bays as 'Lady Bays' and my others I just call their actual names.

I love being slightly crazy.... :biggrin:

In psychology the process of attributing human characteristics (like gender) to inanimate objects is known as anthropomorphism & is thought to be related to how we care for things (for example, if your bag is just a bag you might not care much about dragging your bag about, but if bag is a 'she' you might be more careful with 'her'. :smile:

Can I go back to drooling over bags now? :biggrin: