In Today, Out Tomorrow

Everything goes in and out of fashion.

Nothing is sacred, not even Hermes...

In the UK, at least, no young (or youngish) women were carrying Hermes Birkins, ten, or fifteen years ago.

The best thing you can do is get yourself a bag you love and that isn't an 'it' bag - so most people don't recognise it.

Even that will have had its day, eventually. But if you love it enough, you may not care! :biggrin:

For me, I see the Hermes Kelly and Birkin as timeless, the Chanel classic flap, the LV Alma and Speedy, the Fendi baguette, and the Bottega Veneta woven hobo as really timeless bags. They've already been around for over 10 years each, and that's amazing staying power for fashion!!

I think alot of the Gucci bags and clutches from the late 70's/early 80's are timeless. LV monogram, of course. Hermes, too (although I can't stand them).

I gotta say that I have a few D&B's and I schlep them out eveytime I go to church or a conservative event. Some of mine are almost 20 years old and in EXCELLENT condition. So I think they are probably good American classics.

timeless bags:
Hermes bags particularly the Kelly and birkin

Some LV bags like the speedy, the alma and the pont neuf.

bags that will be dated soon:
chloe paddington
the balenciaga bag with the tassels etc.
the Marc Jacons stam (overkill!!)

the ones I haven't formed an opinion yet:
YSL Muse
Fendi Spy bag

Timeless: Chanel flap bags (2:55 and classic)
Hermes bags - all of them. They are so exclusive there just aren't that many of them. Vintage ones from the 1970's to the 1990's are fetching huge sums at auctions at Christies/Sothebys.
LV - the ones that aren't so logo'ed up. With the number of fakes around though their timeless position is at serious risk....
Bottega Veneta - their woven leather pieces I think.

Not timeless: I think the Fendi spy snd the Fendi B-bag have been produced in too many different and awful colours and leather combos. Just the other day I saw one with lace stuck all over the big buckles on the B-bag - too tacky. I agree that the MJ stam suffers from overkill.

One of the magazines posted a list once about "have to own classics". Don't remember everything, but the Channel and Balenciaga were listed. Also the Kelly and/or Birkin, and the Vuitton Speedy.

I really don't care if it is in or out. Only if I like it. I really like using bags no one else is using at the time.

Timeless
Prada-basic nylon and leather bags, and leather bags w/o a huge "Prada" on them
Hermes - very classic
LV - anything in the epi leather
Chanel - quilted 255 bag

Trendy
MJ - anything quilted with hardware

Classic:

YSL Muse
Chanel
Louis Vuitton-classic monogram
Ferragamo

Trendy:
Fendi
Dior Gaucho
MJ Stam
most Chloe especially Paddington
LV-graffiti, and the styles with colored print (which names escape me)