In Praise of the Copycats ... WSJ article

sonya

Feb 23, 2006
Article isn't about handbags, but interesting points for discussion.

"Copying can even serve as advertising. When an innovation is imitated, more people see it and experience it, which helps to create "buzz"—the notion that a particular thing has status and is especially worth having. Copies can also become trial versions of the original. A 2009 Harvard Business School study found that many women who buy knockoff handbags soon move up to the real thing. Copies act as a kind of gateway drug to the harder (or, at least, more expensive) stuff."

more at:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443991704577577433289673596.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5

I think this is a known fact and lots of designers and developers take advantage of it.

For example adobe photoshop lets students pirate their software and don't do very much to stop it. This is mainly to prevent cheaper, competing software that serves similar functions as photoshop from gaining momentum, so that when the students are older and wealthier they will only know about (and purchase) photoshop. It's pretty much a business tactic.

In terms of fashion, not sure its always an promotional advantage.

Sure it could/would be advantegeous for widely known items that are always available such as designer monogram bags, but i would bet that most comsumers who would buy chainstore copies of designer clothing and accessories wouldnt even have a clue that the item was a copy of something else. There is no "upgrading to the real deal" in these cases. Nothing to attribute the copy to the original designer brand.

quackedup said:
In terms of fashion, not sure its always an promotional advantage.

Sure it could/would be advantegeous for widely known items that are always available such as designer monogram bags, but i would bet that most comsumers who would buy chainstore copies of designer clothing and accessories wouldnt even have a clue that the item was a copy of something else. There is no "upgrading to the real deal" in these cases. Nothing to attribute the copy to the original designer brand.

I think this article is talking about the direct copies such as illegal knockoffs...not sure though

Article isn't about handbags, but interesting points for discussion.

"Copying can even serve as advertising. When an innovation is imitated, more people see it and experience it, which helps to create "buzz"—the notion that a particular thing has status and is especially worth having. Copies can also become trial versions of the original. A 2009 Harvard Business School study found that many women who buy knockoff handbags soon move up to the real thing. Copies act as a kind of gateway drug to the harder (or, at least, more expensive) stuff."

more at:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...3289673596.html?mod=WSJ_LifeStyle_Lifestyle_5
If you will notice, throughout time, styles interplay back into fashion from years prior. If I save a certain shoe or dress long enough, it will be replicated with just a few changes about 10 years later. Personally, I would love to see new, challenging minds develop and create new ideas!