In need of gel nail expert help!

exos1218

Nov 13, 2017
Hi All! I'm new here and I really need your expertise. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

SO...I've always been a fan of regular manis with occasional acrylics but I recently got into gels. In the past two-ish months, I've gotten four color changes. Basically, every two weeks I'd get a new set. I'd ask for a fill but they'd remove the gel and reapply each time. So here are my questions:

1) Is there no such thing as a fill for gel nails? If there is, what is included in the process? Do they keep or reapply the exact color or nail art you had on prior?
2) Is it possible to request a color change without having to get a new set done?
3) Is it okay to file the free edges if the technician left them too sharp?

I'm confused mainly because I can't seem to tell a difference between a full set and a fill appointment.

So the first set of gels I ever got was in burgundy. Two weeks later, I wanted to get french nails. My nail technician told me I needed a new set (gel completely removed and reapplied) because the shade I had on was too dark, which made sense to me. I got a new set in nude pink french. In two weeks, I made an appointment for a fill.

When I went in, they asked if I wanted my nails to be shorter, to which I replied, "sure". I got my nails trimmed, cotton pads on my nails, and before I knew it, my nails were being scraped again. Scraped then filed. I asked if this was a fill. They nodded and asked if I wanted to try new colors, so I picked out some new colors for my french nails. The process was exactly the same as when they did the removal and reapplication.

I left there so confused but left it alone. Two weeks later (few days ago), I made another appointment for a gel french nail fill. This time, I made it more clear that I wanted a fill for gel french nail and to keep the same design and/or color. As you can imagine, the same process all over again. I had cotton pads and was asked to soak my nails again, so that they could scrape and file off my gel. They offered to switch colors around on my fingers while they were reapplying (thus the 4th color change).

My nails are so fragile from all the scraping and filing. I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Is there no such thing as a gel nail fill? What am I saying wrong? I didn't really ask for a color change but ended up getting them because they had already completely removed and reapplied the gel anyways. Each appointment took about 1.5 hours. I'm not sure if that's normal for a fill either.

Anyways I'm hoping to get an answer before my next "fill"... Many thanks in advance!

Hi,

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but let name try and answer what I can.

I don't believe a "fill" is possible for gel nails, as the gel is only the color and not like an acrylic that can be added. I notice when I do my nails at home that if I just try to fill in the edge, it'll look as if it was done at a separate time. (Probably why they remove the full color and repaint)

But I've never asked for a fill because I always like to remove the gel myself and let my nails rest a bit.

The healthiest way to remove gel from your nails would be to file the top layer and than acetone soak off the rest so you are not filing down your nails. If a salon using a drill to do this, I suggest you run!

Yes, in my experience it is ok to file, and even cut the gel nails. I once broke a nail two days after getting them Gel painted and just went ahead and cut and filed the rest of the nails to a matching length.

I'm NOT an expert either. However, I know that you don't get a fill with soak off gel polish; typically it gets removed and replaced with new polish in about two weeks time. Builder gels/hard gels can be filled; from what I've learned by watching nail techs on the Tube, they will file off the color and design down to a protective base layer, then apply more layers of hard gel to fill the new growth area and create the new design.

I don't let nail salons touch my natural nails (pedicures are OK with me) because unless they specialize in natural nail care most of them destroy natural nails. I did get a soak off gel polish manicure once and they filed my nails so hard and terribly that I said NEVER AGAIN. I decided that if they can't answer my questions FIRST, they can't touch me.

I am just new to the nail field. I tried to change my nail style so often and the nails looks very fragile. There should be something wrong with my nails removal or nails care before. I am learning how to protect nails online, gel polish cannot easily removed and I plan to try some nail polish or peel- off gel polish. It is important for me to change another nail style easily when I want to. If you wanna try different colored nails without changing your nails, how do you think color changing nail polish or gel polish?

If your nails are looking fragile, I would suggest taking 2-3 months away from the gel (once you have them removed). I’ve only had gels 3 times in my life. I’m hesitant to overdue it with them since my mom has a lot of nail damage from gels.

I don’t believe gels have a “fill” in the way acrylics do.

Reactions: luvprada
In the nail world "Gel nails" mean gel nail enhancements, like acrylic nails but gel is used instead. You can do an overlay or extend the nail to get more length. These nails are filled and not changed unless requested.
Gel nail polish is a long lasting gel based polish that is soaked off about every two weeks and changed. It's just polish not an enhancement like acrylic. You can't fill it. If you have gel polish and get the color changed the nail technician should NOT be scraping or filing it off at all. Soaked and buffed lightly only.

In the nail world "Gel nails" mean gel nail enhancements, like acrylic nails but gel is used instead. You can do an overlay or extend the nail to get more length. These nails are filled and not changed unless requested.
Gel nail polish is a long lasting gel based polish that is soaked off about every two weeks and changed. It's just polish not an enhancement like acrylic. You can't fill it. If you have gel polish and get the color changed the nail technician should NOT be scraping or filing it off at all. Soaked and buffed lightly only.

Exactly. I’ve been getting gel manicures for a long time. It’s polish. That’s all. No such thing as a fill. You soak off and redo every few weeks. Op if your nails are week stop doing it. After soaking appropriately the gel polish should come off pretty easily. No major scraping. Some gel polish comes off better than others. Gel polish not the same as acrylics.