In LOVE

IWantANewBag

Jan 2, 2010
I am not sure if I am allowed to start a thread just to tell you all that I am officially in LOVE with my oak bays :biggrin:. The appeal of the bays originally passed me by. I found it a bit plain and a bit too subtle. Tbh, i could not understand why so many of you liked them so much. I was more attracted by the blingier branding of the daria etc. Slowly though I found my eye increasingly drawn to bays. I started to think, could I make one work for me?

I wore oak bays out today for first time today. It was so perfect, i even found it easy enough to wear whilst on my own with my 3 girls and pushing a double buggy. I honestly do adore this bag. It is so simple, beautiful and timeless. I love it as much as my prized princess alexa. I am shocked that that is the case! I am so, so happy that I gave the style a chance!! :yahoo:

So tell me, what bag was a slow burn love afair for you?

Last edited:
Of course you can proclaim your love for your Oak Bays:yahoo:
I'm so pleased you've come to love her so much!
I will admit that I too thought it a little plain, and dare I say 'mumsy' at first, but I soon came to love the chic, elegant simplicity of the design:yes:
My Bays is such a classic and integral part of my Mulberry family now! ..how on earth we'd manage without her I don't know!:nogood: xoxox

oh honey, so happy for you!

I am not sure this is a slow burner story, but, I am beginning to find that I am the exact opposite!!! I keep buying Bays as I adore the look of them (on others), but its just not me lol - I just never go towards them as my go to bag - I think I just prefer a shoulder strap :biggrin:

Diversity is so great tho, and great to feel the love :biggrin:

Sarah, yes exactly, I thought it a bit mumsy and almost a look that was perhaps too grown up for how I see myself (I am 33 but insist on still shopping in Topshop, lol). I think I thought it more a bag for wearing with suits only. In fact it looks totally ace and fresh with funky casual clothes too. It is on my living roon carpet now so I can admire it, lol.

Chloe, that did make me rofl. Ikewym about seeing things on other people and then being unable to accept that the look does not neccesarily look right on you. I often do this with clothes. I love floaty, boho tops and dresses on others (think very loose maxi dress style). On me though, I just look like I am wearing a maternity top or dress. I just look wrong yet some people look totally fabulous in that style.It can lead to costly mistakes i know.......

I'm the same as you - oak Bays.

When I first fell for Mulberry I thought it was too grown up for me and started off with an e/w bays, then a ledbury, then finally succumbed to an aged oak Bays which even though it's old and battered it makes me feel so special when I am carrying her.

^ yep, and we wont ever change I am sure! Will just keep buying things that we love, even its not for us heeheee,

and I am 40 now and still go to topshop all the time too ;) each trip is getting alot more expensive tho, as both my daughters fit the clothes now too! :biggrin:

Tiree, good to know that my bays will just get better with use. It is funny how a fair few of us thought the bag a bit boring only to totally revise our view.

Chloe, I can totally believe that your girls want to empty Topshop. I just love that place. of course a lot of it is too teenagerish (is that even a word? lol) for me now. at the mo there is a beautiful cream lace dress there. it is only about £35 it is gorge, Tried it on though and I look about age 14 in it and it barely covers my buttocks so sadly I had to put it back. Oh to be 16 again.....

IWANB I too see myself as a much younger version of me! ..avatar age me thinks:lolots: I'm afraid I'll never grow up! But yes the Bays looks amazing dressed up and down, J'adore her now!
Ahh Topshop ...swoons:graucho:

Sarah, it is hard to accept being older i agree. I also find that Topshop is designed for average height people, so a dress that would be mini (but decent) on someone 5ft 5 looks obscene in its shortness on me at 5ft 9. Sigh. So much pretty stuff though. I actually saw a 75yr old ish lady looking at lace tops today in there, she looked lovely and was fashionably dressed. So there is hope for us yet, lol.

Oh I know, I find a stiff drink or three usually helps though!:happydance:

Yes I've noticed the lack of length on quite a few of their items of late, namely tee's and tops -not all of us want to expose our midriffs a la Britney et al!! They do have the tall collection but those items always seems rather dull!
I love seeing the older ladies in the supposedly 'only for the young' stores, invariably almost always better dressed than moi! ..next time I'll have to ask for a few pointers! :lolots: So yes there's hope yet! xoxo

Yes, the tall section is pretty boring I agree. Plus the trousers are soooooo long. I think maybe even 36inch? I am 34 inch leg and they drown me in length. I totally can't wear short tops, lol. 3 kids have seen to that, lol.

The bays, especially the regular size was a slow burner on me too. I thought it was both a little boring and too classic for me in the beginning. Well, a little too big too... Liked the styles with pockets better in the beginning, but found myself with a choc EW only a couple of months after my first Mulberry, and then it didn't take that many months before my first regular bays found its way to me..

Now I adore the bays, and if I had to choose only one Mulberry or leather bag, it would be the bays:biggrin: I might be more classic than I think, or maybe the style just changes a little. Besides the bays is stunning just because of it's clean, classic lines that one will never tire of, imo.

I loved oak Bays the moment I saw it. Had some bad luck, buying my oak Bays from a reputed seller, but with a scored trough label (of which I did not know the meaning at that time!). I was very lucky to find a Darwin oak Bays in as new condition some time ago and this Bays will never leave me!

Glad to hear you love your oak beauty so much IWANB! Bays was a slow burner for me in that I bought a gorgeous as-new choc Darwin Bays in the autumn of '08, LOVED the look of it but thought it was too elegant for a new mum who lived in jeans. So, I sold it on and bought a fair few other styles *ahem* until I spotted the most divine fuchsia buffalo Bays (long since gone to Mulberry heaven :sad:). That one completely changed my view of Bays and I went crazy for them. In a short space of time I bought choc, oak and black Darwin ones, then came the putty smudge and most recently the black goatskin. :love:

Mitzy messenger has been another slow burner for me. I loved the look of it when they were first released, tried one on and really liked it. But, typical me, I got totally distracted by other bags and didn't get one. Now I have one I will never ever part with it, it's just so useful, versatile and gorgeous!