In defense of the Kelly Flat - She's not difficult!!!

licencetocook

H ballerina
O.G.
Jun 28, 2007
I know many of you think the Kelly Flat is impossible to get in and out of, but it is really NOT true. :nogood:

So here we go....

- I am a Kelly (and constance) girl and I am biased towards kelly's and variations thereof.

- I have 1 toddler and 1 baby, so I prefer light weight bags that can fit a ton and can be worn messenger style or on the shoulder.

- I also need a leather that can endure minor spills and light rain.

If I can open and close a Kelly Flat in a second, I am sure most of you can. Don't let the belts on those Kelly Flats push you away.

Last edited:
Here's an illustrative guide to opening/closing a kelly flat:

Pic 1) make sure the belt is buckled up loosely. I prefer to tie mine using the widest belt hole.
photo-6.jpg

Pic 2) line up the flap with the two guides
photo-5.jpg

Pic 3) wear your Kelly Flat using an evelyn strap or the belt which comes with the KF as a shoulder strap
photo-4.jpg

Pic 4) to open - lift the flap from the two guides
photo-3.jpg

Pic 5) Dig in
photo-2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
Great illustration pics LTC! (As if we need more convincing after your fabulous modeling pics). You could also tuck the flap inside the bag (ala Birkin) but of course, having it outside is more secure. I'm wishing for more colours for the Kelly Flat.

You look amazing with it! :love:

You could also tuck the flap inside the bag (ala Birkin) but of course, having it outside is more secure.

Thanks dear :heart:

I did try tucking the flap inside the bag, but it doesn't really work unless your KF is virtually empty. Unlike the birkin, the KF only has one handle. The flap would not stay down when you hold your kf by the sole handle. This is especially true if you have a few things inside. It's really best to line the flap onto the guides imho.

LTC - food is easy! u just need to bring me to nice places to eat....... i still thinking of the sushi kan! DH saw that place and said looks really good.

LTC - I first spotted your pictures in the action thread. I have to admit, much as I love kellys, I struggled with the concept of the kelly flat - no longer! I love the cross body look with the evelyn strap and it is easier to access the interior than I thought. Thank you for showing us just how easy it is to use!

LTC - Thx for the illustration pics!! I use my KF with the belt that comes with it and same way as u too!! But I am seriously thinking if i should order a evelyn strap (adjustable) too...;)