in a pickle. need advice.

Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. The state of the economy has put us in a bit of a financial bind, and to get out of it I've been listing my MJs on eBay this week. I'm sad about it - all of my pretties! - but I need to do what's best for my family, and I know it's the best decision. :crybaby:

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a sob story thread. But I am looking for advice. (Please don't flame me.)

I have listed all but one. My Stella, my favorite. The one that started it all. I lusted after that bag for *five years* before I bought it, and when I finally did it was like I'd arrived. Every time I look at it I squeal with glee. I love it that much. I've bought lots of bags since then, but none of them are even near the same, you know?

If I sell all the other ones, I'll be okay for now, but things are still not as stable as I'd like them to be. Do I hold onto my one perfect bag and love it and be happy with it? Or do I pass it on for now and say that I'll come to the place in my life where I can have luxury items and this ain't it? It's not like I'll never get the opportunity to buy one again. But oh...this one is mine, and as I said, it's perfect.

What would you do?

2. i'm so sorry for your current financial problems :sad:

if you can make ends meet without selling the stella, i'd say hold on for dear life, but as you've demonstrated, family comes first. is it possible to hold on until "the last minute?" hopefully things will look up fairly soon and that won't be a necessary step to take. (i'm sorry my answer is so vague; it's probably not what you were looking for!)

3. So sorry to hear about your troubles, spitfire. However, it seems like you already know what you have to do and have taken steps to do them. I can just imagine how heartbroken you must have already been since you have to sell all of your other babies. Maybe...just maybe, you can just keep the Stella?? Do you think the money you will get from selling it be really, really helpful? If not, I'd say don't sell it and just hang-on to it. If you need all the money you can get (no matter how much/little, then sadly, you might have to let it go too.

Best of luck to you and your family :flowers:.

4. Oh hon, your story is hard to read. :sad: I'm sorry you're in this situation. I would say if it's at all possible, keep the Stella. It's obviously your true love and it would be such a nice reminder of how much you love MJ bags.

I sincerely hope things get better for you and your family very soon. I look forward to the time you can get a wishlist going again of all the bags you want to buy to build a new & improved collection! And we can all help you find them!:yes: ~~HUGS spitfire!~~

5. ow, I'm sorry, I agree, if it's possible keep the stella, it's a very practical and versatile bag (and you love it ...)

6. you know, i am facing the same situation you are. i just cant rationalize owning over $2k in bags and accessories when i just moved into a new house - needing new furniture and a few appliances.

i think you are doing the right thing though. i also think you should keep your stella, since it was the bag that started it all. i plan on keeping one bag also. if, and when, the economy gets better, you can always rebuild your collection. hang in there, hun! :hugs:

7. So sorry about your troubles. if possible, keep the stella. It's noble that you are sacrificing your other bags for your family!! Hang in there.

8. I am very sorry that you are going thru this as well, I have definitely been there. IMHO, if the money that you would get by selling your beloved Stella is going to help out your family, and ease your situation a little bit, and take a bit of stress off, then I think you should sell it. You can always find another stella on ebay when times get better for you. After all, no matter how gorgeous, it is just a handbag.

9. i'm sorry. this is a tough situation, but it sounds like you're handling it with such aplomb. :hugs:

like someone said earlier, i would hold on to stella til the last minute. see how much money you get after selling all your other bags. if it's not enough then let go of her. things are bound to pick up. when they do, we'll all be here for you to find you a new beautiful stella!

10. Ditto to what everyone else said. I would just add that you have to keep in mind how much the stella would go for on Ebay and would that amount be able to help in a big way. If it goes for a couple of hundred dollars or less...you should perhaps just keep her. It is obvious from your post that you are torn but it is also obvious that you love your Stella lots and there's a history with your bag. I don't know your situation but I think I would keep the one bag that I truly love.

11. :hugs:

12. We can definitely all relate to this!

You will do the right thing. You already have so far. I know you'll feel happy with yourself if you do sell it. Nothing ever tops sacrificing for your family.

I'm sure you'll be happy to keep that lovely stella as a friend in a time of need :smile:

Either way, things will be fine for you. You can make your choice when you need to.

(hella wishy washy answer, I know, but I think it's true!)

13. I would hold on to the Stella until the last minute also. I agree with Cindy05 that the most you could get for it from ebay might be 2-3 hundred dollars, and in the long term, would that amount make a big difference (obviously I'm saying this without knowing any specifics)?
    But if your family is really desperate, of course it should go, and like everyone said, we'll be here to help you find a new one in the future!
    Hang in there and good luck!!

14. Keep the Stella, you love her. I have done the same thing, during the draught (DH Farmer). I worked two jobs and sold all of my bags and baskets. You are making great choices and sacrafice for your family. You know when things improve you will build up the collection again. The Stella brings you more joy and will carry you through this time of hardship. The money she would bring on Ebay would not come close to the value she holds to you.

I hope things improve soon for you and your family and the rest of the country, this economy has a lot of people in a strain.

15. awww, so sorry to hear you have to let go of your purses. don't worry too much- they are only objects and i'm sure when things pick up you will have moved on to different styles/colors when it comes time to replace them and start adding things to your collection. I agree with the other gals too... keep your stella if you can. the prices have definitely sold for around $250-$350USD so hopefully it wont come down to this. keep us posted! :hugs:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice