Impressions - Chain It Bag

Apr 20, 2009
This bag has been on my wish list - along with the PM in the Empreinte leather and the new Noe with the pink or red drawstring. I finally saw the black/mono bag yesterday. It is so gorgeous - and the crossbody actually fits my short body! I immediately wanted in until I started looking at it more closely. No offense to anyone that has purchased the bag and loves it, this is just my thoughts about the bag and may help some that are on the fence about buying it. Positives - it is so cute - love the chain detail on the front, and it's a stunning bag. GORGEOUS. Love the little zip compartment in the bag. Great crossbody strap - very comfortable. But here's the negatives (IMHO) - I don't really like the chain on the back as it sticks out and you can feel it rubbing on you when you carry it crossbody. The black leather is smooth - wondering if it will show scratches after a while. Then I opened the bag - it's smaller than I thought - would need to change to a smaller SLG - although not a big deal. But the thing that bothered me most is the small strap handle. When you open the bag, the handle straps go through the holes and sink into the bag and I had to keep pulling at the outside of the strap - I found this design annoying. I wish they had made the strap "stationary" so it wouldn't fall into the bag when you opened it - similar to the strap on either the pochette metis or even the Croisette. Also, I found that the clasp mechanism did not work that well. It was easy to open, but had repeated attempts to close it securely. I'm trying to decide if all the negatives are a deal breaker for me since I just love the look of it. Anyway, I hope this will help anyone that may have this lovely on their list.

The black leather is smooth - wondering if it will show scratches after a while.
Thanks for your review. I think it's always helpful for everyone to read about pros and cons, especially about new and / or rarer bags. I must say that the smooth leather is more luxurious (you can only do these smooth leathers from perfect hides), but it requires more care on the part of the owner. Smooth leather does scratch more easily. But the patina would be gorgeous!!

This bag has been on my wish list - along with the PM in the Empreinte leather and the new Noe with the pink or red drawstring. I finally saw the black/mono bag yesterday. It is so gorgeous - and the crossbody actually fits my short body! I immediately wanted in until I started looking at it more closely. No offense to anyone that has purchased the bag and loves it, this is just my thoughts about the bag and may help some that are on the fence about buying it. Positives - it is so cute - love the chain detail on the front, and it's a stunning bag. GORGEOUS. Love the little zip compartment in the bag. Great crossbody strap - very comfortable. But here's the negatives (IMHO) - I don't really like the chain on the back as it sticks out and you can feel it rubbing on you when you carry it crossbody. The black leather is smooth - wondering if it will show scratches after a while. Then I opened the bag - it's smaller than I thought - would need to change to a smaller SLG - although not a big deal. But the thing that bothered me most is the small strap handle. When you open the bag, the handle straps go through the holes and sink into the bag and I had to keep pulling at the outside of the strap - I found this design annoying. I wish they had made the strap "stationary" so it wouldn't fall into the bag when you opened it - similar to the strap on either the pochette metis or even the Croisette. Also, I found that the clasp mechanism did not work that well. It was easy to open, but had repeated attempts to close it securely. I'm trying to decide if all the negatives are a deal breaker for me since I just love the look of it. Anyway, I hope this will help anyone that may have this lovely on their list.

Thank you for this review! This bag is also on my wish list and was wanting to wait until I was near a store to try it out. My biggest concern was how secure it was when closed and how the clasp was. The look is beautiful, but now I do not think it is practical for me. Thanks again for an honest review.

I agree that it looks like a gorgeous bag. But if these little annoyances are too bothersome I would maybe pass on it. I can see what you are saying about the chain rubbing against you and I would not like that either. I didn't realize the strap wasn't stationary either. It seems that it would make the bag feel unstable whenever it was opened. I would just go with my gut instinct and see if the cons of the bag are really worth being overlooked. And how much use would you get out of this bag? It looks a little too formal for daily use because of the chain detail imho. Thanks for sharing your experience with this bag. I'm also excited to see the PM in Empreinte Leather! Good luck on your decision!

I bought the chain it mono/noir last weekend. I agree it is small and does not fit much but it gives me a reason to use my smaller wallets/zcp's that I rarely use although I really don't like switching out my wallets....I don't have problems with the clasp, actually really like it.. it's so different and unique....I'm not thrilled with how they designed the handle, it kind of looks odd with the holes. I've used it once and found it comfortable to wear, I didn't have any issues with the chain in the back of the purse but maybe I just didn't notice...I debated whether it was a practical purchase since it's so small but for me it's so unique it was worth it...I'm sorry you don't like yours...:sad:

I got the monogram/black one almost 2 weeks ago. I think it's really nice and looks really nice crossbody on my petite frame. I had to order it a while ago and pay in full up front, as my SA said that it was really limited. Not sure if it is offered at a lot of boutiques, but maybe it is more available now. Anyway, I really like it.

Reactions: LVlvoe_bug
I received the Chain-It bag in mono/noir last week as an early Valentine's Day present and have been really liking it so far. I'm really petite and I feel like the strap length is perfect for my height and is very comfortable. I really like that it has the silver with a touch of gold hardware because it makes it easy to wear with either colored jewelry. And the monogram canvas with black leather makes it nice to wear while dressed up or down. I do find the interior of it to be very limited in space. That's probably my only issue with the bag. I always have a problem downsizing the stuff I carry, especially when it comes to wallets. I usually prefer using full sized ones. The chain hasn't bothered me at all while I'm carrying it. The strap handle I would say is kind of an interesting feature. I guess your supposed to be able to push it down low to give it a different look even though it would probably take up a lot of the interior space by doing that. I was hesitant about getting it because I thought the closure would be a hassle but it really isn't once the bag has things inside. Plus the padlock closure is gorgeous! I originally went to the boutique to get a different bag but my SA started showing me some of the show pieces before the release date and I fell in love with this one when I tried it on. Overall I really love it and am happy with it. Definitely not the most practical bag due to size, but it sure is beautiful! I say if you have enough practical bags in your collection, then this would be a nice showstopper piece to own.

Reactions: PurseAddict728
I got the monogram/black one almost 2 weeks ago. I think it's really nice and looks really nice crossbody on my petite frame. I had to order it a while ago and pay in full up front, as my SA said that it was really limited. Not sure if it is offered at a lot of boutiques, but maybe it is more available now. Anyway, I really like it.
Have you tried getting the rope handle that was shown with the bag? I asked about it but have not heard anything..

Have you tried getting the rope handle that was shown with the bag? I asked about it but have not heard anything..

I have not. I had contacted 866 Vuitton about why it didn't come with it, like the original pictures of the bag, but they said that it did not., and it just came with a couple of other bags. I asked about just having my SA order as a replacement part, and was told that they can't do that, unless they are ordering it for the specific bag that it came with, and that I didn't get that specific bag. I'm going to stop by my store today actually, and will ask my SA if she can go ahead and order it. If she can and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg I will order it.

I wanted to also say that that I really love the chain detail, and how it does have it in the back, and I don't feel it or notice it at all as to me it is kind of flat and not like it is sticking out. Also the new closure is really neat, easy, and I like it a lot. I think it is a much better new option than the others.

I bought the chain it mono/noir last weekend. I agree it is small and does not fit much but it gives me a reason to use my smaller wallets/zcp's that I rarely use although I really don't like switching out my wallets....I don't have problems with the clasp, actually really like it.. it's so different and unique....I'm not thrilled with how they designed the handle, it kind of looks odd with the holes. I've used it once and found it comfortable to wear, I didn't have any issues with the chain in the back of the purse but maybe I just didn't notice...I debated whether it was a practical purchase since it's so small but for me it's so unique it was worth it...I'm sorry you don't like yours...:sad:
I'm still undecided, haven't purchased it yet.... but positive reviews make me want it more!

I agree that it looks like a gorgeous bag. But if these little annoyances are too bothersome I would maybe pass on it. I can see what you are saying about the chain rubbing against you and I would not like that either. I didn't realize the strap wasn't stationary either. It seems that it would make the bag feel unstable whenever it was opened. I would just go with my gut instinct and see if the cons of the bag are really worth being overlooked. And how much use would you get out of this bag? It looks a little too formal for daily use because of the chain detail imho. Thanks for sharing your experience with this bag. I'm also excited to see the PM in Empreinte Leather! Good luck on your decision!
I usually use large bags daily like the Neverful, Totally, Celine belted tote - I use smaller ones usually in the evening.

Reactions: PurseAddict728