Important things to bring for surgery abroad?

nyte103

Jan 4, 2017
Just curious if there are any items that you feel are/were important to have with you for post-op care (or anything important in general). I'm sure the hospital will give you the basic items that are needed (like gauzes).

Just curious if there are any items that you feel are/were important to have with you for post-op care (or anything important in general). I'm sure the hospital will give you the basic items that are needed (like gauzes).

These are few things I was adviced to bring. Many clinics may provide these, nevertheless

1) Ice Packs to reduce swelling
2) pumpkin juice, porridge and all incase you have facial contouring or lifting surgeries
3) body wipes because you wont be able to shower for few days. You can use these wipes for your body.
4) face mask ( like clinical mask ) <~ this one
5) comfortable clothes like hoodies or sweatshirts.
6) lip balm incase you feel your lips are too dry
7) ask your hotel or guest house for extra pillow since you will need to sleep upright to deswell faster
8) for eye surgery buy sunglasses incase you wanna roam around without people noticing.
9) pressure band ( v line band) will be given by the clinic or you may have to buy it incase of facial contouring.
10) (nothing important to have but incase you are feeling sore after surgery then doctors advice you to breath in and out again and again)
11) learn some basic korean words like 아파요 (apayo) means pain.

Pumpkin juice and other juices are asked to consume after surgery because they help to de swell faster. You cannot have hard food after facial contour or lift for a month. In Korea they believe pumpkin juice helps in blood circulation.
Ahh... I'm not having any bone shaving so I should be good. But I will look out for pumpkin-y food for the blood circulation :smile: Thanks for the info!

Besides the items already mentioned, a neck pillow would be useful if you need to sleep upright to help the swelling go down faster. Also if you are having rhinoplasty, facial countouring, fat graft, or breast enhancement, clothes in button down or wraparound styles for at least the first few days as you wouldn't want to force a swollen face or fragile nose through the neck hole of pullovers, and apparently it is painful to lift up the arms after breast surgery

The clinic provided:
1. Gauze (important for rhino)
2. Dilute hydrogen peroxide to clean the wound
3. Prescription for painkillers, antibiotics and ointments
4. Face masks
5. V-line band
6. Ice packs (more than 2)
7. Eye packs

I felt like these were important to my recovery:
1. Dissolvable vitamin c tablets
2. Bromelain ampoules and arnica bruise cream (I bought this in a Korean pharmacy, you can PM me for the brand ^^ it was super helpful for deswelling)
3. I stayed at the clinic's guesthouse which had a reclining bed, but definitely request extra pillows to prop your head up.
4. Ultra moisturising lip balm
5. Loose clothing- tops which can be buttoned up instead of being pulled over your head (rhino and FC)
6. Dry shampoo for like day 6
7. Skin exfoliating products :/ couldn't wash my face for a week and my skin was peeling off
8. Pumpkin juice not porridge.

Okay let me write something to clarify here

everything sounds good here but some mistakes are

1. Dissolvable vitamin c tablets <---- you should avoid vitamins for 2 weeks before the surgery and after because it might change your blood circulation which it means you might will have more blood than usual before/after surgery
2. Bromelain ampoules and arnica bruise cream (I bought this in a Korean pharmacy, you can PM me for the brand ^^ it was super helpful for deswelling) <--- you can start to put bruise or scar cream few weeks after the surgery depends on what kind of surgery that you had.

Okay let me write something to clarify here

everything sounds good here but some mistakes are

1. Dissolvable vitamin c tablets <---- you should avoid vitamins for 2 weeks before the surgery and after because it might change your blood circulation which it means you might will have more blood than usual before/after surgery
2. Bromelain ampoules and arnica bruise cream (I bought this in a Korean pharmacy, you can PM me for the brand ^^ it was super helpful for deswelling) <--- you can start to put bruise or scar cream few weeks after the surgery depends on what kind of surgery that you had.

Sorry Jexxi but more blood after the surgery...? If that was the case, no one would need a blood transfusion, just administer high doses of vitamin C i.v. If anything, a vitamin C deficiency would cause impaired wound healing and slows down tissue repair.

I agree that it's better not to take any supplements before surgery because we don't know what drugs the clinic will administer, but saying that vitamin C improves blood circulation (correct) which thus increases the level of blood is not correct. Circulation means that the blood can pass through the blood vessels more easily and reach the extremities. Vitamin C is important for a huge number of reasons but it doesn't make any red blood cells :/ there is no link.

Here's a link for people who want to find out more about vitamin c: http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/supplement/vitamin-c-ascorbic-acid

Bruise and scar creams **should not be applied on open wounds**, but can be applied on bruising or closed wounds as intended. It doesn't have to be a few weeks. Imagine if you bruised yourself and you could only apply bruise cream a few weeks after- by that time the bruise is gone already. Scar cream can be used at the moment when the wound has healed- after stitches are removed and when the wound is no longer bleeding (from kelocote website). This may take up to one week for some people.

Silicone sheets for breast augmentation scars can be used 2-3 weeks after surgery.

Reactions: opensesame and 0x0