Important Information About Cat Food

when this was first posted i switched my cat's food.
he's been eating the Natural Choice. the only other recommended wet food my pet smart carries is the Iams.
well, today i read the ingredients again. and in the Natural Choice the first ingredient (in 3 flavors) is Chicken broth. which by the info above^^ is not good. I also read the Iams can and it said the same.
now i am confused and wonder if i'm feeding my cat a healthy diet??
and is there any other --commonly found-- GOOD wet cat food??
help! :confused1:

Wow, I haven't checked back here in a while! I'm glad to see that it seems relatively well received. I haven't fed my cat anything besides Wellness, but after a year on it, he is now sleek and healthy.

The Wellness website has a "where to buy" section (upper right).

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/#

Also, not sure where you live, but http://www.premiumpetsetc.com/ delivers free in NYC. Petfooddirect.com also gives 10% off if you do autodelivery of pet food:
http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/...m_mmc_o=HFzbkCjCInvioCjC2AlfBFwyniCjCzAfBltb5

There are also many websites that do free shipping over a certain $$ amount, or specials.

Hope this helps you and your kitty to stay healthy in the new year and many more to come! :okay:

Curious, does anyone here feed a BaRF diet? I see mentions of raw, but I'm looking at specific percentages of body materials (bones, cartilage, tissue). I did a lot of research on it, but it wouldn't have meshed with our lifestyle at the time. We feed Evo kibble; one of our cats has a grain allergy and the other is supposed to eat dry only, per the vet.

My cats LOVE wet food....but I use it as just a treat. Normally they just get dry food. Except for one of the cats they are all overweight :sad: I am going to look into this more!

It is true wet cat food is better than dry cat food, though its not only the type of food that causes weight gain, etc.

Proper quantity and rationing is very important. Overfeeding your cats can have negative effects. Maybe cutting down the intake could be a solution.

Though you should consult with your vet before making drastic changes in their diet.

when this was first posted i switched my cat's food.
he's been eating the Natural Choice. the only other recommended wet food my pet smart carries is the Iams.
well, today i read the ingredients again. and in the Natural Choice the first ingredient (in 3 flavors) is Chicken broth. which by the info above^^ is not good. I also read the Iams can and it said the same.
now i am confused and wonder if i'm feeding my cat a healthy diet??
and is there any other --commonly found-- GOOD wet cat food??
help! :confused1:

I'm not too familiar with this brand but for some reason petsmart doesn't really have that great of a canned cat food section.

Another really good brand that is not on the above list is Natural Balance by Dick Van Patten. PetCo carries it along with wellness and quite a few others that are good. maybe you could call a petco and have them ship some to you or order on line. My kitties are super finicky and they love the natural balance. Good luck!

I rethought all my pet food after that big melamine scandal. My older cat who doesn't really like wet is now on Wellness CORE, which is grain-free, supplemented by Wellness CORE wet and BFF wet.

My kitten, Meekus, who is intolerant of poultry, lives on Weruva and Merrick Surf & Turf and EVO beef (all wet).

I agree it is a much bigger hassle to have to change food often, rather than leave dry out, but the health benefits are enormous! Both kitties are in great form, good weight, and healthy!

*NYC Princess*, thank you for starting this thread, and I joined to bump it when I saw a recent post where somebody's vet put the poor cat on Hills Science Fiction for being overweight. (Ummm, if they only knew that the over-processing of the "ingredients" is what makes the cat WANT to eat less, not to mention, that such cheap, horrible "ingredients in "less over-processed form" is what got the cat overweight in the first place!)

All I'd like to add is info regarding the veterinarian "relationship" with the commercial pet food companies, and why it is imperative for pet parents to find a (Holistic) vet who does not have this conflict of interest:

http://leda.law.harvard.edu/leda/data/784/Patrick06.html
Harvard Law student's paper explaining every little detail.

And
http://www.optimumchoices.com/Vet_Nutrition_Seminar.htm
Vet Nutrition Seminar

Thanks again for this thread. Wonder how many cats' lives it will save....knowledge is power. Have to wonder why all this information is not "mainstream" ... Those Dirty advertising and revenue Dollars are mighty powewrful!!

Wow- I'm glad you started this *NYC Princess* and that you bumped it PitterCat so I happened upon it today! I am always preaching about this; I feel sooo many cats are sickened by their diets. I lost my male cat Levi to bladder issues at the age of 8. I didn't realize what was going on and I thought I was keeping him so healthy! Later, I found the book "The Whole Pet Diet by Andi Brown, after reading about it in Bark magazine. I switched my girls from dry Wellness to homemade food from the book that was very wet. I found a way I think is good for weaning them off the addictive "junk food". I started them on the twice a day feeding schedule, leaving the dry food out for two hours at a time at first, then gradually reducing the amount of time. The result was that they got used to a feeding routine and to eating when I fed them rather than ad-lib snacking all day. Their appetites were sharpened and they were primed for a change. So then I cut the dry food way back and offered small amounts of the wet food. When they started eating it I just weaned them off the dry. This process took a month. Each cat eats about 1/2 cup, twice a day. I have three; all different sizes but this on average seems to be a good amount. I weigh them to monitor for weight gain/loss. The most dramatic thing that happened was they changed from water obsessed (drinking from the dog's bowl, sink, tub-we've all seen it!) to NEVER drinking water!!! That's when I really realized how dry food hurts cats- they can't compensate for the dehydration it causes their system. Anyway; now I feed Wellness canned but I mush it with warm/hot water a little right before feeding. I'm on a mission to tell people how bad dry food is! I will always feel horrible about how my Levi died (after $3000 worth of surgery, etc) and I don't feel that most vets know anything about this stuff.
Thanks for listening, and for caring about your pets enough to write about this! :heart:

I have a question-would it be ok to give some cottage cheese (5% fat) to 11 weeks old kitten? I was giving her a little every morning and it looks like she likes it more that anything else she eats. I was thinking since it's protein and calcium nothing bad could happen?
I also feed her wet canned food by brands that are listed as good ones on the first page of this thread, and some boiled chicken and hen.
Another question, can I mix a tiny bit of grounded flax seed into canned food? It is too early to give her some boiled egg yolk yet?
Also, what about that organic wheatgrass for cats? Is it too early?
Thank you.

Has anyone tried Weruva? It is the best cat food! No meat-by products. It's human grade food and processed in a human food facility. I'm not kidding the most finiky cat will eat this food. They have the best flavors and it smells great and it's good for cats. Here's the website for Weruva ...

http://www.weruva.com/

^ My cats love Weruva!! They go crazy for the Mideast feast, Mediterranean Harvest, Polynesian BBQ, and Meow Luau.

I also started them on BFF (also by Weruva). They have about 10 flavors, and so far it's been fairly successful. My cats like about 4 of the flavors.

After reading this thread I've decided to try Weruva, well..well..seems that my princess won't eat anything else now except Nine Liver, Funky-Chunky, Steak Frites, and other chicken-beef meals that Weruva makes :tup: Completely ignores seafood/fish meals, no biggie. I'm feeding her some raw chiken and turkey from time to time.

I read threw most of this thread and some of it worries me.

firstly I dont think any website should be the finally word on what you feed your pet:

YOU MUST TALK TO YOUR VET FIRST and at every visit. i asked my vets (i see two, each cat gets one visit a year with each vet) and they both said that they feed their cats purina cat chow. which is on the list of "bad" foods. they both said they rotate between wet and dry food.

i feed my cats purina one dry, and purina proplan wet. thats what i feed them so thats the food i know the most about. i still dont know why its on the list of "bad" foods:

1- they have never had a cat food recall, and of all the dog food brands only alpo which was purchased from another company has had a recall.
2- they are among the very few pet food makers who control the production of their product at every single step outsourcing nothing.
3- the first ingredient in the foods i select is meat or fish, not a by product, although they DO sell products with a by product as the first ingredient.
4- my cats are VERY active, healthy, fit without being overweight and have shiny healthy coats.
5- they get a mix of wet and dry food just like the vets say they should and they fine!

iams is on the list of "good" foods and they have been recalled many a times.

also consumer reports advises not to spend on untested expensive brands
http://pressroom.consumerreports.or...s-pricey-pet-food-not-necessarily-better.html

dont believe me about iams versus purina?

google "iams killed my cat" in quotes 11,200 results including a ton of videos. and google "purina killed my cat" in quotes. you will get one result - this page me saying how there are no results.

Two of my SO's family cats both have dental problems cos she would only eat wet food! The other loves her biscuits and don't have the same issue...

Their vet said that's why they recommend 80-20 dry to wet food! So I followed this for awhile.. until I saw another vet at the same hospital for my roommate's cat and he said dry food is best and to give wet food as a treat only! But when I adopted my 2 newest babies a month ago, the vet and staff there told me to give them a 50-50 amount of dry and wet.. :confused1:

All the vets did recommend hill's or royal canin though...

I personally believe a healthy balance of a variety of food! I'd hate to be only eating 1 type of food for the rest of my life! (Although I'd be happy to eat a lifetime supply of cheese.. then again, it'll have to be different types of cheese! See! :yes:) At the moment I am feeding them 50-50, wet food in the morning and dry at night... with whatever raw meet I'm cooking with a few times a week as a treat! I try to give them as little seafood as I can, my SO can't stand the smell and I just don't think cats would naturally catch a lot of fish... :smile: