Important info from hermes craftsman at nyc store

1. Sign up to become a TPF member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It's free and quick to sign up, so join the discussion right now!
    Dismiss Notice
Our PurseForum community is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.
Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker. Thank you!
  1. Dear All,
    I just wanted to let you know that I spoke with one of the craftsman in NYC. I asked him the following question: has anyone ever broken the toggle closure off of their kelly? (gravely fearing that if i continue to weigh mine down that mine would snap off too)

he said that he has seen broken toggles, he has even seen bent toggles - to one side or the other (this did not help my fear at all)

here was his advice: 1.) do not hang your lock on the toggle - be it kelly or birkin - it adds extra weight
    2.) when closing kelly - equally distribute weight by closing both straps as not to bend the toggle to one side or the other
    i just thought i would share this info with all of you

2. Thank you KittyKelly - that's a great reminder!

3. Thanks will bear it in mind!

4. Thanks - that's good advice.

5. What concerns me is this advice: "1.) do not hang your lock on the toggle"

Aren't the locks meant to hang on the toggle? Shouldn't the toggle be strong enough to accommodate the lock? Hermes has a whole assortment of cadenas. This confuses me.

6. My local craftsman has also advised closing the straps.

7. i think you are suppose to hang the lock off the clochette or perhaps on the clasp. i can not actually say that i know anyone who locks their kelly - seems a bit impractical to me. anyway, i am just relaying word for word his advice

8. Good to know, thanks for posting! I always wear my kelly with the straps hanging down and just closing the flap with the toggle, guess I need to stop doing that!

9. makes sense. and besides, even if there's a place for a lock there, maybe the bag design became too popular way before they discovered the functional flaw, and it's too late to make changes because people like the Kelly/Birkin as it is.

10. That is what I do, I use it on the clochette instead of the original lock. You could also attach it from one of the base handle rings. In fact, I used to tie the clochette onto itself on one side and attach the lock on the other. I don't like putting it on the turn clasp because it limits your in/out and locking the bag. Also, you could damage the leather and plate behind the cadena.

11. I was advised to at minimum close the straps on to the toggle under flap if I don't want to mess with the straps, instead of letting the straps fly. The straps really do affect the integrity of the bag, they aren't just for show which is what I thought at first.

Also, the craftsperson always puts the lock on the handle rings after cleaning any Kelly for me.

12. Could you post a picture of that? I'm a bit confused here.....

13. can anyone tell me if there toggle has broken from not closing the kelly with both straps? or is this just preventative advice

14. I have a Kelly from 1991 that I have used quite a lot, and at a certain point I noticed that the toggle was very slightly bent (I never closed the straps). Since then, I always close AT LEAST one of the two straps, so that some pressure is lifted from the toggle; if one closes both straps it's obviously better!

15. thanks for all the great advise and share your experience! Duna do you close your flap if you close your straps? I think I need to start doing what you have suggested... Thanks.