imitation is the sincerest form....but prada??!

jun3machina

hopelessly addicted
O.G.
Apr 11, 2006
i know MJ loves to borrow the old and interpret it on his own. heck, he's even blatantly ripped off now and again....from vintage finds. but now prada seems to be moving in on his iconic pushlock. seems like a low blow, cause this prada looks like a cheap-arse juicy bag to me....what do you all think?? flattery or flat out house-design snaffoo?
Miranda-Kerr-Marc-Jacobs-3-199x300.jpg

mirandakerrperthairport.jpg

i generally like a lot of prada, find her stuff modern and inovative and artsy...but this makes me wanna open a can of whoop-a$$. the pushlock is really just PUSHING it!

When I first saw pics of Miranda Kerr with the bag, I was trying to figure out, what MJ bag is it only to realize that it is a Prada. Not my cup of tea, definitely. Prada should stick to their thick luscious leather with clean simple construction.

Then again, when MJ added the lock on the Color Block line, all the Hermes peeps got real offended. :wondering

I've seen pics of the new Prada bag with that pushlock in a magazine, it was a red tote almost similar to that one. I was shocked, too! Can't imagine Prada would steal a "signature" design from Marc Jacobs....

When I first saw pics of Miranda Kerr with the bag, I was trying to figure out, what MJ bag is it only to realize that it is a Prada. Not my cup of tea, definitely. Prada should stick to their thick luscious leather with clean simple construction.

Then again, when MJ added the lock on the Color Block line, all the Hermes peeps got real offended. :wondering
i actually was going to bring up that 'hermes' thing, because IMHO it's MJ using design aesthetics in a post modern way to create something new. i think it's what has always made his designs innovative because he's not scared to step on toes. and he admits to it, and yet has a strong enough sense of himself and his brand to make it his own. however, prada always seemed to have a voice, and this bag does not ook anything like the prada i know, more like the design team played frankenstein on a handful of bags....a minkoff, a juicy and an MJ keypouch. :tdown:

I think there's a difference from "borrowing" designs and styles and basing new bags on older or previous released versions, i.e., MJs Single and Large Single & the Chanel Flap, MbyMJ's Bombay and the Chloe Paddington, etc - it's going to happen. It's just the way things are

But I think there's a BIG difference using the ONE thing that the designer is most widely identified with and known for, in this case the Padlock. For years MJ bags were identified by those padlocks. Silver, gold, real or faux - the padlock is a MJ trademark thats been around for years. For Prada to take that padlock and place it so prominently on one of their designs (and use it in a way that MJ "created" yrs ago - as a zipper) is not right. If they wanted to use the padlock, they should have done it in a less obvious way.

I remember Hermes fans getting upset w/the colorblock line, but I honestly never understood it - hermes doesn't have a patent on the color orange, and while it's their "trademark" color its also a color WIDELY used by many designers for all sorts of things. That whole uproar was ridiculous to me - now if MJ had designed a bag like a birkin style satchel, and added his own quirky MJ-add-ons, then I could see

I don't like this bag at all - not because of the prominent use of padlocks, but just the overall look, shape and style. It's way too IN YOUR FACE! Too big, too many studs which overall cheapens the look of the bag - the only thing that would save this for me would be if it were made from some magnificently soft leather that would just melt with age & use

i was surprised to see this too. i don't like the bag much to begin with. mj still does the pushlock best imho.

you know what miuccia should've done? recreated that antic cervo bag sandra bullock carried in the proposal. now that is signature prada and i'd buy it in a heart beat.

sandra-bullock-ryan-reynolds-the-proposal-20.jpg

there's another Prada bag that looks just like a Hudson bag
I don't know the name of it (and honestly, I'm not 100% its authentic, but I suspect it is), but there's an attorney at my firm who carries a Prada bag that looks EXACTLY like a Hudson bag, except is has a longer strap in addition to the handles. Otherwise, it's got the same shape, size and 3 interior sections - one thats open, two that zip. When I first saw her with it, I thought it was a Hudson, but then she got closer and I noticed the Prada label on the front where the padlock would normally be

Last edited:
i'm so glad there's a thread on this, i saw the new Prada ads in Elle and Baazar and thought the very same thing! that pushlock totally screams MJ. i was very surprised that a powerhouse like Prada copied another designer's signature piece. unfortunately, the result is not very attractive (in my opinion) which definitely does not do justice to MJ even if it is meant as flattery (which i doubt).

here are the non-studded versions. it would've been a fine bag without the pushlock. actually, it seems like that was added on as an afterthought to keep the bag from looking too plain. what i would've liked even more is the metal prada lettering on the front.

0416617751639R_300x400.jpg

0416617751639R_CBLACK_300x400.jpg

I saw the studded version on Bag That Style and someone had incorrectly identified it as MJ. I can see why, I thought when I first saw it that it was MJ and somehow I had not been keeping current!

I agree with Tad, the Antic Cervo bag is gorgeous! Prada is usually a little too safe & plain for my tastes, but the Antic Cervo is beautiful.