Im very depressed =*o(

Hi, Silver Sea!
I can totally relate. I have been estranged from my family for 3 years. Looooong story, but anyway my husband and I moved from the USA to Canada. I've been here for almost a year and I'm not liking it all that much (neither is my hubby, so it's hard). To make matters worse, I still don't have a work permit so I have way too much free time on my hands to think and "go do my dark place" if you know what I mean. LOL
Just remember you are one of MANY who are going thru a rough time and therefore you aren't alone! Email me any time!
Hugs to all! :heart:

So sorry to hear that you are feeling lonely and down.

I have visited New England and not only is it a beautiful area, but I also found the people there to be wonderfully friendly and nice. :heart:

As others have suggested, perhaps try to join groups in your area and hopefully, you will meet people who share similar interests and at the very least, get out of the house!

I know it's not easy to do when you feel depressed, but if you make the effort, it should pay off. :yes:

Also, when is the next NE tPF meet? Perhaps you could go to that (or even organise it!) and meet true kindred spirits in your area? :idea:

Finally, you have plenty of friends here, from all over the world, who will help support and entertain you, at the times when you are not out meeting new people in the real world! :flowers:

Of course, if you suspect that your depression is more long term and serious, you should go and talk to your doctor, but from what you have told us, it is circumstantial and your mood should improve as you settle into your new area and make new friends. :yes:

BTW, I have had no real family since I was 25 (apart from a half sister who is lovely, but I didn't grow up with), as, unfortunately, they have all died, so I can also empathise with how you feel.

***hugs***to you! i hope you'll feel better soon. maybe you can arrange to meet up with other new england tpf-er? meeting new people with common interests might cheer you up?

It occured to me to say this, too, but I think we need to remember that we really don't know for sure, who we are actually talking to online...

I'm sure that, on the whole, people are who they say they are on tPF, but, inevitably, the occasional person will not be.

So, I think it would be best to avoid meeting new people, individually and stick to tPF meets - then, if we meet someone at a meeting, we can take any possible friendship from there. :yes:

So sorry to hear that, I hope that things get better for you soon!

What are you doing out there in NE? Are you working or going to school? Try and meet friends that way! Invite some of your neighbors in your complex (if you have an apartment) or in your neighborhood to your house as a "get to know you" party! Now that summer is coming up, it would be great to have a grill party and get to know your neighbors :smile:

Hey my dear!! I'm sorry you're feeling down! It's a tough situation though!

I moved a few times during Jr. High/HS, but obviously during those times you are surrounded by people that are your peers, so its a tad easier to make connections and lastly friendships! As you get older, the divides are greater and the oppurtunity to meet people in the same peer demographic dwindle...

I'm in an odd stage right now, because I'm young (24), married, not interested in "partying", and have no kids... A few of those statements automatically cut me out of the alot of the interests that people have in the same "AGE" group as me... However I firmly stick to the belief that age is just a number!

We've moved for professional reasons a couple times within the past 2 years... and I can tell you - it sucks to be somewhere you dislike!!! DH & I were in the Western suburbs of Chicago for 1 year... and we absolutely HATED it!! We were both miserable, mainly because we didn't like our location and the implications that came with it.... We didn't try to find positives though, only saw the negative aspects (commute, house, traffic, etc). Now, we are in MI - and we really like the area better!! That has helped alot, and I've already started to meet great people that live in the area... So things get better with time!!

Regardless of whether you utterly dislike the area you live in, and I don't know your situation as far as how stuck there you are - but I would try to find all of the positives of the situation, and then HIGHLIGHT those!

I know its tough, but if you have a great apartment?? Then take pleasure in decorating it... moved there for a job?? Then I would explore networking avenues, such as joining professional groups, i.e. Society of Human Resource Management, etc - to meet others in your field... Moved there for family obligations?? I would try to plan area specific family outtings to see some of the great parts of the country!! I have never been to Boston or Philidelphia, and I would love to see all of those historical sites in the Eastern US....

Everyone has provided some great input for meeting people, taking classes etc... I think there is a thread in the General Discussion area about "meeing new friends"... And of course, you have all of your friends at tPF!! I've found tPF has REALLY helped me transition during this last move... it gave me something where I could find enjoyment and other people to talk to, even if I was a bit lonely around the house...

^Sorry for the novel... obviously, I like to talk!! :smile: Good luck with your situation my dear!! I don't know how long you've been there... but I hope with time, it will get better! :flowers:

I want to thank everyone for there kind and supporting words.

I should have explained my self a little more. I have been living in MA for a couple of years now. I am 26 years old I moved out here for work. My problem is I work with people much older then me. I don't know anyone my own age and it's been hard for me to meet people.

I am originally from California which is quite a diffrence. I do love MA and all the history and culture it's beautiful here. It's hard though when you don't have friends or family to share it with.

I think my biggets issue right now is dealing with my family. When you are feeling very lonley usually you have your family you can turn to for support and love. That is not something I have or will most likely ever have.

I just want you to know it means alot to me to be able to come here and vent and recieve feedback from all of you wonderful ladies. Thanks again for listening.

I am so sorry to hear this. Try to learn something new or look around the new city. You will feel better if u go out and enjoy yourself. Just remember that u got all these pfer here to support u.

Don't worry! If you start doing something new, u won't have time to be drpress.

Good luck on everything!

SilverSea -- I know how it is to feel so isolated and alone in a city of millions. It's tough, but it will pass. Promise! :smile:

In the meantime, perhaps meeting new ppl with similiar interests? MEETUP.COM is a good place to start. Or maybe take a class at the local college? Sometimes, when you're missing the comfort of something familiar, something new is a good distraction.

And of course, there's always US! :yes: *hugs*

HUGS... while removing yourself from everything familiar whether healthy or unhealthy is a huge adjustment...this is for your mental health in the long run

don't let it get you down.
make youself a list of all the good things that are going on and that you have done
ie moving, making the decision and following thru, taking care of yourself, loving yourself, knowing that you deserve better

hugs it will get better

Thanks again everyone for all your warm replies.

Today is ecspecially hard for me because everyone will be spending Mothers day with there moms.
I have no family to call or celebrate with.:sad:
Just another lonley day.

I do hope everyone has a wonderful day today!:heart:

Silver, you have gotten some good advice :smile: I love the volunteering one! That is what I do, it's a great way to meet people and it really helps me put in perspective how lucky I am....we are here or you. Hugs, Mary

Hey SilverSea,

I'm so sorry to hear that the move has been hard on you ....

It is very hard to go through life feeling very much alone without much of a support system. I've pretty much had to deal with that as well.

MA is very different from CA but I do like MA. I don't know where u are in MA, but head to boston - there are alot of great things to do year round and the boston pops orchestra is fantastic.

like some others suggested, volunteer for stuff. it is a good way to know people and help others.

Pursue activities and try to do something physical (gym, yoga, kick boxing, etc) . I'm not saying u will definitely make friends from these activities but it'll help u get out and meet other people.

Search out your school alumni list and see if there are alums or school activities there that you can be part of. that's a good way to start.

it's hard to make friends and i don't have an instant solution gfor you other than to encourage you to go out and do stuff for yourself. it will help you feel more enriched and happy about your life and yourself.

And u can always hang out here, we're all here to chat and listen to u!!

PM anytime!

Hope u feel better soon!!:heart:

I want to thank everyone for there kind and supporting words.

I should have explained my self a little more. I have been living in MA for a couple of years now. I am 26 years old I moved out here for work. My problem is I work with people much older then me. I don't know anyone my own age and it's been hard for me to meet people.

I am originally from California which is quite a diffrence. I do love MA and all the history and culture it's beautiful here. It's hard though when you don't have friends or family to share it with.

I think my biggets issue right now is dealing with my family. When you are feeling very lonley usually you have your family you can turn to for support and love. That is not something I have or will most likely ever have.

I just want you to know it means alot to me to be able to come here and vent and recieve feedback from all of you wonderful ladies. Thanks again for listening.